PDA

View Full Version : L65 Jubals vs L100t3

rickmoen
08-21-2015, 08:30 AM
Hello to All -
Long time lurker here and even longer JBL fan. I have a question for the wisdom of the forum. I have a set of L65 Jubals (1st gen - no A or B) and enjoy them immensely. Getting the itch for something else and saw a set of L100t3's nearby. Would the T3's be considered an upgrade, downgrade, or lateral move from the Jubals? I understand that subjectivity of the question - everyone's ears have their own rules. Thank you in advance for any responses.
Rick

4313B
08-21-2015, 09:04 AM
That is a toughy! Technically superior L100t3 or thoroughly good looking and fun L65... :hmm:

shaansloan
08-21-2015, 10:30 AM
HI Rick, I have owned both. 4313B has stated that the L100T3 is superior technically.... he knows best for sure. My impression is that the Jubal is no slouch and a beautiful vintage speaker with great sound.... hard to beat them for sure. Of course they just seems to appreciate in value over time as well.

The L100T3 was better sonically I would say they seemed to perform better in ever category, that is the impression from my memory. I had Jubals for 5 years, and the L100T3's I bought for my son in law and I demoed them for about 3 months. They were so sweet, I didn't listen to my other systems while I had those much at all. The L100T3's are also taller and of course at ear level which makes a huge difference, where the Jubal has to be placed on a stand of some sort.

Overall I would pick the L100T3 without much thought at all because they simply sound noticeably better. And if music enjoyment is what you are after, I know you won't be disappointed with the L100T3, but surely you have a fabulous sound if you stick with the Jubals.

Hope that helps,
Shaan

rickmoen
08-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Just to bring closure to this thread. I was able trade my Jubals even up for the L100t3's. Both are in excellent shape. The Jubuls probably have a higher resale value, but the t3's do sound better to me. I really like these t3's. They are clearer and more dynamic at a lower volume than the Jubals. Not trying to diss the jubals here. I miss their beauty already. The t3's are certainly not unattractive though. Overall, I'm very happy! Thank you to the responders to my question - your advice was very helpful and spurned me into action. My ears are smiling and are also thanking you. Rick

gasfan
08-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Perhaps a distinction between the 1st gen Jubals and an A would have been in order? The 122As in mine are pretty formidable. I also find the 077s more resolving than the Emits in my Kappa 9s.

rickmoen
08-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Your assumption is correct. I had 1st gen Jubals.

gasfan
08-30-2015, 02:02 PM
No assumption, you've already stated it. If your L65s have the 126A woofer, then you should be made aware that later iterations, ie: the A and B are improvements over that first gen example. I'm curious as to what the respondents' opinions are in comparison to the later versions. I have no experience with the L100T3 but I can tell you the L65A with the 122A is not lacking in dynamics or extension.

BMWCCA
08-30-2015, 02:36 PM
I can tell you the L65A with the 122A is not lacking in dynamics or extension.

Have you tried it with the 128H-1? :bouncy:

gasfan
08-30-2015, 03:14 PM
No but I just happen to have 4 C-1200 laying around. I got scammed a number of years ago and paid 500 for 4 badly damaged drivers but the damage is confined to the rims which I have routed off.

BMWCCA
08-30-2015, 07:38 PM
I got scammed a number of years ago and paid 500 for 4 badly damaged drivers but the damage is confined to the rims which I have routed off.

I remember that episode!

cgregory4
09-08-2015, 10:35 PM

I've installed the 128h-1s in my Jubals. Great and pleasant sound but extreme detail -- hard combo to find.

Greg

rickmoen
09-09-2015, 08:17 AM
As the new owner of a pair of L100t3's, I am very happy with their looks and sound. However, moving the speakers across a tile floor makes a screech like sound from a horror movie (not that I do this very often). I got some 2" wooden risers with rubber feet from eBay that should cure that problem. It would be nice if the plastic bases would fit inside of these wooden bases, but they won't. I need to remove the stapled-on plastic bases. There is just one staple per corner. They must have been inserted with an atomic powered air-gun and won't budge prying with a small flat screwdriver. Has any one done something like this before? Is there a better tool to use that I'm not aware of? Are the plastic bases savable or will they be sacrificed in the name of progress? Thank you in advance for any advice. Rick

speakerdave
09-09-2015, 06:12 PM
You could easily move those speakers with a light-duty hand truck.

You may need to remove the staples one leg at a time. Lift the center by twisting your screw driver then use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab the staple near one side. Place something for a fulcrum and pry up. Do this alternating sides until loosened. You may want those original bases later to restore stock condition, unless your new wood bases are a clear upgrade.

As the new owner of a pair of L100t3's, I am very happy with their looks and sound. However, moving the speakers across a tile floor makes a screech like sound from a horror movie (not that I do this very often). I got some 2" wooden risers with rubber feet from eBay that should cure that problem. It would be nice if the plastic bases would fit inside of these wooden bases, but they won't. I need to remove the stapled-on plastic bases. There is just one staple per corner. They must have been inserted with an atomic powered air-gun and won't budge prying with a small flat screwdriver. Has any one done something like this before? Is there a better tool to use that I'm not aware of? Are the plastic bases savable or will they be sacrificed in the name of progress? Thank you in advance for any advice. Rick

grumpy
09-09-2015, 08:23 PM
IMHO, nearly anything would be an upgrade... As much as I enjoy my L100t pair, I curse those bases every time I need to move them, even a small distance.

rickmoen
09-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Thank you Speakerdave for your help. I got more aggressive with the staple removal and they came out quickly. The stock speaker bases are still intact too. Here's a photo of the new wooden speaker bases installed. Much easier to move. Thank you for the input.Rick

grumpy
09-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Well done.

hjames
09-20-2015, 04:52 AM
Very nice looking upgrade!
Hated those rickety plastic bases!

Thank you Speakerdave for your help. I got more aggressive with the staple removal and they came out quickly. The stock speaker bases are still intact too. Here's a photo of the new wooden speaker bases installed. Much easier to move. Thank you for the input.Rick

gasfan
12-14-2015, 06:13 PM

Hey, can you elaborate a bit on the advantage? I'm about to refoam a pair but from what I've gathered here, once the inductor is replaced with the correct one for the 128H-1, they will be acoustically identical.