PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Screamer SS-1020 plans

elitopus1
08-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi
I have an extra set of 421-8 laying around and recently discovered the stanley screamer line of speakers when I was looking at other Altec plans. Does anyone either have plans for this or own a pair and can take some measurements for me?
I would like to build either one of the double 15" models or two of the single 15" models to pair with some 817a cabinets I am running. Thanks

Horn Fanatic
08-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Hi
I have an extra set of 421-8 laying around and recently discovered the stanley screamer line of speakers when I was looking at other Altec plans. Does anyone either have plans for this or own a pair and can take some measurements for me?
I would like to build either one of the double 15" models or two of the single 15" models to pair with some 817a cabinets I am running. Thanks

Both the SS-1010-R & U, and SS-1020-R & U have the same port area with no duct, 48 square inches, with the SS-1020-R & U having two ports.

The Dimensions for the SS-1010-R & U: 48" tall x 24.75" wide x 23.25" deep. The dimensions for the SS-1020-R & U: 48" tall x 48" wide x 23.25" deep. I do not believe the vertical dimension included the bottom skids.

Both cabinets were loaded with either the 421-8LF, or 421-16LF. fs for the 421-8LF is 35 Hz. I would not suggest tuning the box much less than that.

The baffle on both are set back 3/4" for the grille frame.

Vb for the SS-1010-U is 13.02 cubic feet if the baffle is flush with the front.

Vb for the SS-1020-R is 27.21 cubic feet if the baffle is flush with the front.

These cabinets require substantial bracing, like 2x4's in every corner, and front to back above and below the drivers. If I were building them I would consider new tuning based off the net volume after all the bracing volume had been calculated. Also include the volume displaced by the driver, or drivers. I would also consider increasing the vent area, which may necessitate the use of a tube duct, preferably round.

Personally, I prefer a 'donut' style brace system fashioned out of two laminated sheets of 18mm Baltic Birch with a squarish hole cut from the center. There would be two of these horizontal braces, one above and below the driver that would fit into a 1 1/2 wide dado around the inside perimeter of the cabinet capturing the baffle, back and sides. You could also cut two smaller holes allowing for a section of the plywood to function as a brace between the baffle and rear panel.

I would also include a similar arrangement in vertical fashion dead center of the driver, or drivers, between the horizontal braces. Obviously, a vertical brace directly behind the driver would have to be shaped like a square U. That also would reside in a dado in the baffle, horizontal braces, and rear panel. The two vertical braces above and below the horizontal braces would capture the horizontal braces, baffle, top/bottom, and rear panel in a dado as well.

What I'm suggesting is not to be stingy with the bracing. These cabinets are house shakers! If memory serves me correctly, I think those cabinets were rolled off at 80 Hz.

Should you chose to faithfully reproduce the volume of the cabinets, just subtract the volume of the baffle, which should be larger than the area of the grille recess, from the gross volume. If you wanted to you could just cut the baffle to fit within the inside perimeter of the box behind the fascia panels, which would make for a beefier baffle arrangement.

As no drawings were available at the time Stan Miller of Stanel Sound and ALTEC unveiled the Stanley Screamer series, I was able to take the port dimensions off the cabinets as I passed by a few in the warehouse during my lunch break way back in 1979. It pays to be in the right place at the right time. It wasn't out of the norm to see Stan personally pushing a cart full of compression drivers through the production area while jawboning with some suits from the front office.

Good luck,

HF

elitopus1
08-15-2015, 06:52 AM
This is great information and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you