PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4408 tweeter recharge.

mtsaclander
08-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Hi, restored a pair of 4408 studio monitors a while back. During the process, one of the tweeters sounded dull or not as high as the other in volume. I thought it was gone and nearly threw it away. Later when I bought a replacement online, I learned that I should try recharging the magnet. Is this worth a shot. I mean the tweeter does have clear sound coming out of it but at a reduced volume. Also if this is true, any shops in the Bay Area that recharge magnets? Thanks. BTW the tweeter is the JBL 035ti.

Ed Zeppeli
08-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Hi, restored a pair of 4408 studio monitors a while back. During the process, one of the tweeters sounded dull or not as high as the other in volume. I thought it was gone and nearly threw it away. Later when I bought a replacement online, I learned that I should try recharging the magnet. Is this worth a shot. I mean the tweeter does have clear sound coming out of it but at a reduced volume. Also if this is true, any shops in the Bay Area that recharge magnets? Thanks. BTW the tweeter is the JBL 035ti.

I'm not confident that it is a common problem that the tweeters get de-magged. I could be wrong.

Maybe you could try a few other things first to eliminate any upstream problems. Swap tweeters between cabinets; check resistance (compare tweeters); and even check the fine voice coil leads for a possibly weak connection there.

I have the same speakers and recently had to repair one of those leads.

Good luck,

Warren

Don C
08-06-2015, 09:20 PM
It might be more relevant to check for rotted foam behind the dome, and replace it.

mtsaclander
08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Ok thanks a bunch Ill try both recommendations. Ill post an outcome later.

Brett