PDA

View Full Version : L7

jamesvaughnfl
08-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Can anyone help me? I see an L7 that I can get. Were these about the best jbl ever made? What should I pay for them in excellent condition? Can they be kept running indefinitely? I know they're about 21 years old and I don't think they ever had any work done to them.....Thanks Joe

rdgrimes
08-04-2015, 07:07 AM
The L7 has a foam surround on the woofer which needs replacement from time to time. Apart from that they are likely to last a lifetime. They do require fairly careful setup in a room, which you can read all about in many threads here. They are the next best thing to the 250ti in many folk's minds. Certainly a great value.

jamesvaughnfl
08-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Can all of the parts be replaced on the L7? I believe that the only electronics in it, is the crossover network. Can you repair the drivers with kits, available?Also are they really hard to find? Thank You Mr. Grimes

HCSGuy
08-04-2015, 12:31 PM
For a while, they were all over Craigslist, usually at less than $500/pr by the time the deal was done. The side firing woofers and rear firing ports make them picky about placement, so make sure you have a big room. They are also power thirsty, so don't plan on getting the best they have out of a receiver. The "Wood" finish is pressed into them, so they cannot be refinished other than painting over them - you can't sand it. Also, the surround on the 8" driver is glued onto a really small lip and is very hard to repair. Are they the best JBL ever had? Not even close. There are those here that really like how they sound. I've run two pairs through two different houses for my father and we never got them to sound good. Replaced them with a pair of 250TiBQ's and he's been thrilled ever since. So, I don't think they're worth your time, though you may try a pair of L5's and a subwoofer, as they are less placement sensitive.

SEAWOLF97
08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
I HAD a pair. Gone now. No regrets.

sounded fine , VERY heavy , did NOT care for looks, grilles are usually worn thread bare.
normally like 035Ti , but they were a bit shrill in this application. No pot adjustments.
big bang for the buck (i got a good deal) ..
traded them for a 6 months old , expensive laptop ...

have seen some bleached and stained & others re-veneered , seemed an improvement.
they do like power.

BMWCCA
08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
When you consider that the L7 can usually be bought for sometimes a tenth the price of 250TIBQs, they're one hell of a value.

I have two pair of L7s (also L5, L3, L1). My main speakers are 4345s. I also own 250ti, L150A, L112, 4412A, L96, etc., so even if I don't know what I'm talking about, I've heard many JBLs and can sometimes make direct comparisons in the same room. I'd minimize the placement issue. They work fine just about anywhere I've tried them and produce an image you can walk around if you place them far enough out from a back wall. They work fine in a small room, too, but they'll likely bother your neighbor or others elsewhere in your home before they'll blast you out of the room, their bass is that prodigious. It is true they like power but just a Crown PS400 really makes mine sing and they're fine at normal listening levels even with a Crown PS200.

They're far from the best JBL ever produced but I've never heard anything that could touch them for near what I paid for mine. Even with all the JBLs I have, I'm not considering selling my L7s. That should say a lot about them. :dont-know:

gferrell
08-04-2015, 05:55 PM
The whole L series make one heck of a surround system. Probably the best surround speakers ever made because of something unique about them. (I'll let you figure that out). They are the BEST for the effects of surround music. They can surround you like nothing ever made. For 2 channel music they are good if placed correctly. (L7's) A great value in speakers. I have the whole L series set but not using them right now. Maybe some day I will make a surround room again. Forgot to mention they can get really loud!