PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet -- Front Panel repair/replacement JBL 4410

brewdude
07-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Hello forum --

I bought a pair of JBL 4410 that are in good condition except needing woofer refoam.

Unfortunately -- I had a water line break and it damaged the front panel bottom.
I would love to keep these -- and repair them if possible.

Anyone have any experience removing/replacing front panel?
If pictures are needed, I can provide them.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rick

Horn Fanatic
07-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Hello forum --

I bought a pair of JBL 4410 that are in good condition except needing woofer refoam.

Unfortunately -- I had a water line break and it damaged the front panel bottom.
I would love to keep these -- and repair them if possible.

Anyone have any experience removing/replacing front panel?
If pictures are needed, I can provide them.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Rick

Greetings -

If the 4410 is built like many of the L65 and L66 cabinets I have sledge hammered apart, the baffle is dadoed in place. Was the baffle bottom completely saturated? Since the baffle got wet, it's a safe bet the bottom panel retained moisture as well. Photos would be nice.

brewdude
07-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Greetings -

If the 4410 is built like many of the L65 and L66 cabinets I have sledge hammered apart, the baffle is dadoed in place. Was the baffle bottom completely saturated? Since the baffle got wet, it's a safe bet the bottom panel retained moisture as well. Photos would be nice.

The bottom baffle is expanded from moisture. I will post some pics tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the reply.

brewdude
07-20-2015, 05:58 AM
Greetings -

Yea -- looks like the bottom panel retained moisture also and has slight warp.
I guess the easy solution would to find a empty 4410 cabinet, but if possible, would like to repair this cabinet.
I'll try and post pics tonight.

brewdude
07-23-2015, 05:57 AM
Yea -- looks like the bottom panel retained moisture also and has slight warp.
I guess the easy solution would to find a empty 4410 cabinet, but if possible, would like to repair this cabinet.
I'll try and post pics tonight.

Attached are pics of water damage to cabinet.

Is this extensive repair?

Ed Zeppeli
07-23-2015, 06:52 AM
It looks pretty cupped. If it were me, I'd probably try to cut out the baffles (if they're still decent) and build clone boxes using the stock baffles.

Good luck with the restoration.

Warren

Lee in Montreal
07-23-2015, 08:17 AM
The venneer has separated and the MDF underneath has probably swollen too. If I were you (but I am only me), I would make new cabinets. It will probably end up cheaper and looking better.

brewdude
07-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks -- appreciate responses --

My original thought (before it was damaged by water) was to refurbish and keep them, but at this point, the one speaker cabinet is ruined based on your opinions.
So - - I'll keep an eye out for a replacement empty cabinet and refurbish the pair and sell or piece out components and sell.