PDA

View Full Version : Remove scratches, 1400 Array

baldrick
07-15-2015, 10:35 AM
I have a pair of 1400 Array that have some minor scratches on the "plastic area" on top were the horn is located.

Does anyone have a tip how to remove these?

Mr. Widget
07-15-2015, 10:35 PM
That and the horns are painted with a "soft touch" paint. While it is cool to touch, it is difficult to clean and as far as I know impossible to touch up.

While there might be tricks to somewhat fix them, I believe the only complete repair would be to strip and repaint.

Widget

macaroonie
07-16-2015, 02:12 AM
From your description I think the paint finish is called Nextel

http://www.eldeco.be/Nextel.htm

And from their notes on that page

REPAIR
It is very difficult, but not impossible to damage a correctly applied NEXTEL Coating. Should damage occur, there are two possible techniques:
1. SMALL AREAS:
Small areas of damage should be lightly stippled with Primer 552314 and then again with top-coat. It is advisable to widen the area covered, in order to better blend in with the original coating. Note that ELDECO has small NEXTEL repair units available for the standard stock colours like colour B21 dark anthracite, S757 cobalt blue, 734 brownish red and S139 dark black

2. LARGE AREAS:
Repairing large areas of damage or a complete re-coating in the same or another colour can be achieved by re-spraying with Primer and topcoat.
Spray the surface with Primer 5523/4 with a very dry film of 10 microns (0.0004 in.) thickness. If the surface is being re-sprayed with a light or bright coating of NEXTEL 3101, the primer coat must be sprayed thinly but nevertheless must cover the original coat.
After re-spraying with top-coat, the overall coating is now considerably thicker and should be dried at an increased temperature of 60°-80°C. On air-drying, parts should be handleable after 24 hours. The surface will, however, retain solvent and will take several days to become hard dry.

bubbleboy76
07-16-2015, 06:51 AM
I would try Plastidip.
It gives almost the same kind of surface, and it can be removed/peeled off if you do not like it.

rdgrimes
07-16-2015, 10:20 AM
I assume that's the same stuff on top of my 1500.

I would leave it alone. Short of a complete re-finish, most anything you do will be as obvious as the scratches.

I keep a heavy cotton throw on top of mine to keep critters anything else from scratching.

10 Watt Street
07-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Try cleaning the Nextel coated ares with a damp microfiber cloth, you might be surprised.

1audiohack
07-17-2015, 11:11 AM
It's funny to me when I read the part on the Nextel sheet:

'NEXTEL' was originally developed by 3M Company in the USA following a request from NASA for a special coating for use on the interior surfaces in the Space Shuttle.
The criteria were that this coating had to:
1. Have excellent Anti-static properties.
2. Be chemically inert.
3. Absorb scattered light and be totally non-reflective.
4. Be very hard wearing and scratch resistant.
5. Be resistant to stains and easy to clean.
6. Be warm to the touch.

It seem like this is the coating JBL should have used. :)

Barry.

4313B
07-17-2015, 11:35 AM
This sounds like the stuff G.T. said JBL had to have applied in AZ because it is illegal in CA. I think it was first used on the M9500 but I could be wrong.
Regardless, I used to like it but now I can't stand the stuff. I removed it from a couple Harman remotes that it was on. I refinished them both with Rustoleum Hammer finish. Obviously won't work for a 1400 Array though. :(
I ended up selling all my Array horns because it was too much of a hassle to strip them and finish them properly.

martin2395
07-17-2015, 03:07 PM
This sounds like the stuff G.T. said JBL had to have applied in AZ because it is illegal in CA. I think it was first used on the M9500 but I could be wrong.
Regardless, I used to like it but now I can't stand the stuff. I removed it from a couple Harman remotes that it was on. I refinished them both with Rustoleum Hammer finish. Obviously won't work for a 1400 Array though. :(
I ended up selling all my Array horns because it was too much of a hassle to strip them and finish them properly.

I'm sure many users of Revox/Studer gear will 100% agree with you as many of those appliances (if not all) have Nextel coating which now turns into sticky substance that you can scratch off the surface with your nail.
It's difficult to remove and attracts all dust and dirt. :banghead:

I really hope it's not the same junk that JBL had problems with on the LSR's!