PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying a JBL cabinet w/ D123!

crolodon
07-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Recently aquired an older JBL! It looks wonderful, very nice condition, but I'm looking for more information on it. Hopefully someone here can help me out. Photos follow.

Thanks so much!
Jacob

Mr. Widget
07-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the forum.

This speaker is an early example of an "extended-range loudspeaker". This woofer has bass that is somewhat limited by today's standards. As to the higher frequency performance, the aluminum dome does help extend the frequency response but realistically only up into the upper midrange. To bring this speaker up to modern performance, you would likely want to add a crossover network, a tweeter, and possibly a proper woofer or subwoofer.

As for the cabinets, they look a bit rough with the cracks and surface issues. They are not JBL cabinets, but aftermarket cabinets or home brews. If you like their looks, then by all means put some work into them and add a pair of tweeters.

I assume you are interested in the value and may be interested in selling these? The driver has some value by itself... check eBay, and the cabinets likely have no value.

Here is more info on the woofer: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-comp/d123.htm

Widget

crolodon
07-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Ah thanks so much! I hadn't yet decided what to do with it, but since posting I've been reading about the driver itself. I had no idea the cab was home-built. It's heavy as hell.

crolodon
07-22-2015, 06:06 PM
The serial number on my D123 seems to be quite low. Does anyone know if JBL started at serial #0 and worked their way up, or if they began at 1001 or something like that as some manufacturers do.

speakerdave
07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
The D123 is pretty common. The very early ones had a squared off magnet housing that MIGHT have some collector value. Then there may be early label formats. Other than that . . . .