PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify a JBL 4343 speaker...

FLHX
07-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Hello,

since this is my first posting here, I will not be impolite, but I'm under pressure... As happy owner of JBL L65 "Jubal" I'm tempted to acquire bigger studio monitors from JBL here in Germany and someone offered me JBL 4343, "all original, perfect condition, second owner etc..." Now i'm in doubt if this is true, I had to travel a long way to him and yesterday he told me, that the speakers who have american walnut veneer have also black baffle boards, black covered grills and straight edges instead of slanted ones surrounding the front of the cabinet. He say that this is original but I can't find images of such an 4343 version on the internet... Can you please help me? Did such a version of the 4343 exist? And sorry, I have no images, only the description of the owner...

Thank you

Michael

ivica
07-08-2015, 02:15 AM
Hello,

since this is my first posting here, I will not be impolite, but I'm under pressure... As happy owner of JBL L65 "Jubal" I'm tempted to acquire bigger studio monitors from JBL here in Germany and someone offered me JBL 4343, "all original, perfect condition, second owner etc..." Now i'm in doubt if this is true, I had to travel a long way to him and yesterday he told me, that the speakers who have american walnut veneer have also black baffle boards, black covered grills and straight edges instead of slanted ones surrounding the front of the cabinet. He say that this is original but I can't find images of such an 4343 version on the internet... Can you please help me? Did such a version of the 4343 exist? And sorry, I have no images, only the description of the owner...

Thank you

Michael

Hi FLHX,

I think the most important is that the drivers and its parts and the networks are JBL original

regards
ivica

FLHX
07-08-2015, 02:53 AM
Hello Ivica,

thank You very much for Your reply, but since the speakers are very expensive, the originality is important to me...

Best regards

Michael

Goldjazz
07-08-2015, 03:21 AM
Hi there,

I could be wrong but as far as I am aware, The 4343 came in two different cabinet finishes only. The walnut finished version with blue baffles, blue grills, and angled edges on the cabinet. This type had the suffix "WX" e.g. 4343 WX or 4343B WX (for the 4343B). Or the studio grey version which had black baffles, black grills straight edges on the cabinet with a textured gray paint on the outside of the cabinet.

I would suggest that these monitors may be one of two things: Either not original cabinets OR original Studio gray cabinets that have been veneered by someone at a later date. If the seller can provide some photos we should be able to determine which it is. I'm sure someone will jump in to correct me if I'm wrong.

HCSGuy
07-08-2015, 03:56 AM
I agree with Goldjazz. I have 4315's in both finishes that are flat fronted, though the Veneered ones have blue faces. Both of my 4343's are veneered and have the angled front trim and blue baffles. I think your seller has studio grade painted speakers that have been veneered or has home built speakers. If you look through the pro catalogs, even the older models (4340/4341) have the flat front for painted, angled front for veneer, so I wouldn't believe a claim to a flat front, veneered 4343 being "Early production" or prototype.

FLHX
07-08-2015, 04:33 AM
Hello Goldjazz and HCSGuy,

thank you very much for your statements, that helps a lot, I have no photos from the seller, only claims: "The veneer must be original, it looks all so perfect" and "This must be a special order". So I will not make the long trip and continue to search for original ones. Again, thank all of you very much for the help...

Best regards

Michael

martin2395
07-08-2015, 04:49 AM
No photos = no sale. Should be a rule when buying vintage gear for >€100.
In the past I wasted so many kilometers going to pick up stuff that was listed and assured by the seller being in 'good condition' it's absurd.

Also, flat front - DIY job. Wood veneer with black front - DIY job too.
There were only two versions as someone mentioned before, the grey/black 4343 "Studio Finish" and the AWX/BWX (first letter refers to either alnico or ferrite versions).

By the way - I wouldn't bother that much in searching for original, they are as good as unobtainium and the prices are skyrocketing.
I bet that you can let a carpenter make you a pair of 4343's in ANY finish you want, load them with JBL units, build new networks and still keep a lot of cash in the pocket.

FLHX
07-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Hello Martin,

thank you, the image gets clear, these 4343 are not original... But for 6000 euro the 4343 should be at least original... If the speakers were much cheaper, I wouldn't bother about the originality of the cabinets... But for this price? Are the prices for 4343 in original condition higher than 6000 euro at the moment here in Europe?

Best regards

Michael

martin2395
07-08-2015, 05:02 AM
Hi Michael,

Even as an owner of original 4343's I find €6k an utterly riddiculous price for 4343's, they serously should be on the edge of NIB/NOS condition for that price. :(

6k should easily get you 4344 or 4345. I also saw 4350's going for 7,5k. The K2 9800 are going at around 9k atm.
The problem is finding them!

But seriously I think that you can build a perfect, fresh copy for <4000 with no problems.

FLHX
07-08-2015, 05:21 AM
Hello Martin,

thank you very much for the information, in fact I'm searching JBL 4341, 4343, 4344, 4345 or 4350 in an original condition, but it seems very difficult to get clean examples here in Europe at the moment... I would be willing to travel nearly europewide to pick up a nice and clean and original pair of JBL studio monitors... Maybe I should try on the marketplace here?

Best regards

Michael

HCSGuy
07-08-2015, 07:58 AM
How much is freight and customs from the US? I wonder if it makes sense to look over here. If you don't find a pair, let me know - I can live with one less pair of mine...

FLHX
07-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Hello HCSGuy,

I think freight is about 700 to 900 dollars, depending on the declared value I had to pay around 7% taxes and finally 20% VAT for the declared value plus taxes and the shipping costs... When my search here in Europe don't lead to results I will be happy to come back to Your offer. Do You have images? If yes I could send You my email address via PN... Anyway, thank you very much for the offer!

Best regards

Michael

1audiohack
07-08-2015, 12:46 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?36966-4343-super-clean-pair

These are still on the block. I know he can and will pack and ship.

Barry.

BMWCCA
07-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I had to travel a long way to him ...

How far is "a long way"? :dont-know:

FLHX
07-09-2015, 12:39 AM
Hello Barry and BMWCCA,

thank You very much for the tip with the 4343 offered here, I have to check out the shipping costs and fees including VAT, in the end the speakers would perhaps reach 8000 - 9000 euro and that would be too much... The exchange rate for the euro isn't too good at the moment... And BMWCCA, long ways in Europe are surely much shorter than in the U.S., but the traffic here is heavy, even on the "Autobahn", so in this case 400 kilometer one way, but for a good pair of JBL studio monitors I would go up to 1500 kilometer one way... May I ask if BMWCCA is related to a bavarian car manufacturer?

Best regards

Michael

1audiohack
07-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Hi Michael;

I didn't think about how far import taxes would drive up the cost. :(

A couple of months later with his 4343's still unsold Jeff may negotiate on the sale price but VAT would still likely make them just too high.

All the best,
Barry.

FLHX
07-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Hello Barry,

yes, it's incredible, you have to pay the import taxes on the sales price and finally 20%!!! VAT on the sales price plus import taxes plus shipping... Since I restored about 20 old U.S jukeboxes (all of them exported to Europe in the late 1950ies, early 1960ies) and an 1984 Electra Glide (FLHX) I needed many parts from the United States and this was with all the taxes and VAT often expensive... But You built so many great things in the past, especially concerning music reproduction and motorcycling...

Best regards

Michael

macaroonie
07-09-2015, 12:59 PM
http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/item.php?id=9550368858&audioauktion=560420e7aceee5b07258fc83d852f410

FLHX
07-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Hello macaroonie,

I saw this also, but this is a new user, without any feedback, the photos are poor, here in Europe there are many offerings especially from the U.K., often cheap, shipping included and in the end nothing arrives... But anyway, thank You for the link, I will contact him...

Best regards

Michael

macaroonie
07-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Hello macaroonie,

I saw this also, but this is a new user, without any feedback, the photos are poor, here in Europe there are many offerings especially from the U.K., often cheap, shipping included and in the end nothing arrives... But anyway, thank You for the link, I will contact him...

Best regards

Michael

I did wonder why the seller is located in Belfast and is advertising on a German website. Having said that I have friends from Belfast that live here in Scotland so I'm sure it would not be difficult to arrange a visit to verify the existence of the speakers if they are in fact in Belfast. Maybe the seller is working in Belfast and the speakers are in Germany. :dont-know:

FLHX
07-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Hello macaroonie,

that is very a generous offer, I will report if and what the seller answers, if this is a real offer and the speakers are in Belfast it would be of great help to verify their existence... Buying them in the european union is free of taxes and VAT, I had to pay only the transport, but I doubt that the speakers exist...

Best regards

Michael

macaroonie
07-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Most scammers use images that they take from the web. I already did a google image search using his image. No comparable results.
It is a little tricky to generate an image if you don't have the subject matter.
See what you can find out , are the speakers in Belfast , or if not where can you see them. That should sharpen things up a little.
Where are you in Germany ?

I used 'Hi Fi Shark' to find this seller

Goldjazz
07-09-2015, 04:54 PM
There are so many scammer on these European websites particularly. I had a friend in Germany look into a few things once, I stopped asking as everything turned out to be a scam.

So here's a neat trick. Put the image into a reverse image search such as this one

https://www.imageraider.com/

It will pull up any webiste that have that image. In the case of your 4343's from Belfast the exact image also comes up in this website.

http://www.edwardlstephens.com/new_page_6.htm

As you can see, the Belfast seller is a scammer.

or even just do a google image search, if you're looking for some specific background colour you can quickly scan hundres of pics and you may see it.

If you can, definetly get a local to check. But I've even hear of buyers doing the following: Ask the seller to take a picture of the item with a glass of water partially in front of it. ha I know its sounds ridiculous. Apparently it's difficult to photoshop the distortion from a glass of water.

I did wonder why the seller is located in Belfast and is advertising on a German website. Having said that I have friends from Belfast that live here in Scotland so I'm sure it would not be difficult to arrange a visit to verify the existence of the speakers if they are in fact in Belfast. Maybe the seller is working in Belfast and the speakers are in Germany. :dont-know:

BMWCCA
07-09-2015, 07:34 PM
May I ask if BMWCCA is related to a bavarian car manufacturer?

Yes, BMW Car Club of America but I've been a member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America since 1971.

But You built so many great things in the past, especially concerning music reproduction and motorcycling...
Hah! It's amazing what a different perspective will create! I'm one of those in the USA who believes BMW means "Best Motorcycle in the World". But then I mostly own older Boxer twins. It's a lot like talking religion or politics so I won't tell you what I think of the Great American V-Twins. ;)

martin2395
07-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Michael,
Never believe that the speakers are somewhere else than where the seller lives -its a scam.
Also dont bother looking on Quoka, its full of fake adverts.

FLHX
07-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Hello,

thank You all for Your help, thank You Goldjazz for the link, I didn't know this method, very helpful... And Martin, yes, I know, "Quoka.de" is full of scammers, for this reason I would travel through Europe to pick up the JBL monitor speakers myself... From members of this forum I would like to buy, I see that the speakers are real here...

And BMWCCA, yes, preferences for certain motorcycles are similiar to religious beliefs, through the 1990ies I had a 1977 BMW R100S and this was a great motorcycle, now I drive a Cagiva Elefant 900 i.e. besides the Electra Glide, they have all their specific qualities, in the end it's most important to me to roll on two and not on four wheels (okay, with a slight preference for two cylinders)... What Boxer twins do You own?

Best regards

Michael

Lee in Montreal
07-10-2015, 07:42 AM
To confirm if the seller is a scammer or not, simply ask the usual questions, obviously letting the seller know you are far away. Questions including how to ship and how to pay. Then when the seller thinks you are ready to send the funds, pretend that one of your best friend happens to be in his neighborhood and ask the seller if it is a problem for your friend to simply check the speakers out. If you receive excuses or no answer, then it is a scam. ;-)

BMWCCA
07-10-2015, 06:56 PM
And BMWCCA, yes, preferences for certain motorcycles are similiar to religious beliefs, through the 1990ies I had a 1977 BMW R100S and this was a great motorcycle, now I drive a Cagiva Elefant 900 i.e. besides the Electra Glide, they have all their specific qualities, in the end it's most important to me to roll on two and not on four wheels (okay, with a slight preference for two cylinders)... What Boxer twins do You own?
Cool! The Cagiva was sold here as a Ducati Elefant. A very unique bike.

Only because you asked (and I'll happily remove the photo links if asked):

I currently have a 1981 R100CS, 1972 R60/5, 1968 R69US, and one single, a 1966 White R27. My other boxers are three 1964 700S convertibles!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/EsquireSlash5.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/BMWCCA1/media/EsquireSlash5.jpg.html)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/PhilsCS.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/BMWCCA1/media/PhilsCS.jpg.html)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/bikes.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/BMWCCA1/media/bikes.jpg.html)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/700showroom.jpg (http://s31.photobucket.com/user/BMWCCA1/media/700showroom.jpg.html)

ivica
07-11-2015, 03:25 AM
Yes, BMW Car Club of America but I've been a member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America since 1971.
Hah! It's amazing what a different perspective will create! I'm one of those in the USA who believes BMW means "Best Motorcycle in the World". But then I mostly own older Boxer twins. It's a lot like talking religion or politics so I won't tell you what I think of the Great American V-Twins. ;)

Hi

BMW==Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaf well known airplane motor factory before 2nd-WW , established 1916. Its logo is airplane propeller (I believe).
regards
ivica

FLHX
07-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Hello BMWCCA,

very impressive, I still like the old boxers very much, You have impressive examples, also the beautiful cars, even here in Germany they are very rare today... So if the bikes and cars from Munich made it over the Atlantic, why shouldn't JBL's made it to my home...

Best regards

Michael

BMWCCA
07-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Its logo is airplane propeller (I believe).
That's what many were lead to believe until BMW itself rewrote their history a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&amp;v=znBnNJ1Fv08

Vezi
07-15-2016, 03:59 PM
HI Michael,
I was just surfing through this website and saw your comment.
I am new to this forum
I live and own a recording studio in Toronto.
I have a pair of JBL 4343's COMPLETELY ORIGINAL
that have been in my control room wall since 1976.
Just removed them and had them reconed by a very respected audio company in Canada.
The external lenses (for the tweeters) are somewhat damaged but totally functional and there is one slight corner (max 3 cm) damage on one of the speaker cabinets as they were quite difficult to remove after such a long time.
Please let me know if you are interested in any further information.
Vezi

Hello,

Thank you

Michael