PDA

View Full Version : Internal Wiring Question?

gmarascortt
07-04-2015, 06:13 AM
I just recently purchased a nice set of L96's with mint cabinets. I had the LF drivers(LE 10H-1) re-coned and re-foamed to factory specs with a genuine JBL kit. Before reinstalling the drivers, I realized that the factory driver leads to the crossovers are very thin. Can one gain any performance or advantage by replacing this wire to a heavier gauge?? We tend to use thick/heavy, usually expensive speaker cables with gold terminals, etc.....then ultimately the signal has to run through this very thin wire! What am I missing?? Does it help to "upgrade" any of the internal wiring??

BMWCCA
07-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Does it help to "upgrade" any of the internal wiring??
Couldn't hurt. :dont-know:

Why not try it on one speaker and then compare the two?

I'll let you be the guy. I'm not altering mine. :D

DavidF
07-06-2015, 08:08 PM
"...Can one gain any performance or advantage by replacing this wire to a heavier gauge?? We tend to use thick/heavy, usually expensive speaker cables with gold terminals, etc.....then ultimately the signal has to run through this very thin wire! What am I missing?? Does it help to "upgrade" any of the internal wiring??

By "very thin wire" you could also mean the voice coil wire, right? It shouldn't take a heavy wire to get enough current to the voice coil given the short distance. I would take care to inspect the connectors to be sure they are clean, have a snug grip and are still well attached to the feed wire.

Nice find on the L96....

rdgrimes
07-07-2015, 07:46 AM
At distances of 1-2 ft, the gauge of the wire means nothing. Heavier wire will serve only to make the user feel better.

Mr. Widget
07-07-2015, 08:21 AM
At distances of 1-2 ft, the gauge of the wire means nothing. Heavier wire will serve only to make the user feel better.I mostly agree with this statement... that said, making sure you have clean solid connections means a lot, should also make you feel better, and will restore performance if the connections have become compromised over the years.

Widget

gmarascortt
07-07-2015, 03:00 PM
By "very thin wire" you could also mean the voice coil wire, right? It shouldn't take a heavy wire to get enough current to the voice coil given the short distance. I would take care to inspect the connectors to be sure they are clean, have a snug grip and are still well attached to the feed wire.

Nice find on the L96....

At distances of 1-2 ft, the gauge of the wire means nothing. Heavier wire will serve only to make the user feel better.

I mostly agree with this statement... that said, making sure you have clean solid connections means a lot, should also make you feel better, and will restore performance if the connections have become compromised over the years.

Widget

Thanks everybody! All wiring is original and in great condition, tight connections, etc ...just a general question for improvement in any JBL speaker. Not trying to re-engineer a great sounding pair of speakers!;)