PDA

View Full Version : JBL's For Jazz

audiomaniac
06-29-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm currently running L166s with tube gear (Rogue) which sound pretty good with jazz. Was wondering if another JBL "bookshelf" model might be better suited for the likes of Miles, Coltrane, Dizzy, etc. Opinions? Thanks!

rdgrimes
06-29-2015, 07:54 PM
PT800 is the best there is for tweeter-based models. But keeping in the 12" 3-way line with your L166 would be the L112, 120ti and L100t. Take your pick, they're all great.

Wagner
06-29-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm currently running L166s with tube gear (Rogue) which sound pretty good with jazz. Was wondering if another JBL "bookshelf" model might be better suited for the likes of Miles, Coltrane, Dizzy, etc. Opinions? Thanks!
How large can you go box wise?

Valentin
06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
JBL 4429

great :bouncy: for any material

Retroman
06-30-2015, 09:25 AM
The best I've heard/owned in this size and category is the professional LSR32/6332. They have the lowest level of coloration of the all 12" 3-way models previously available in the consumer and professional divisions. (although the Century Golds should be close-same basic drivers')

You'll need to use stands to get the tweeter up on the same plane as your ears. I had custom grilles made for mine by a car stereo-mobile sound company. This type of company is use to making custom grilles and should have no problem making them for you. I actually took my LSR32 to a local dealer so he could take very precise measurements so they actually looked like a factory option. They had a thin wood frame with black cloth stretched around the perimeter and were held in place with Velcro.

They image extremely well and will give you much more musical detail with lower distortion. If you cannot allocate funds for a new pair of 6332s, then wait for a clean pair of LSR32s to come-up on E-bay or Craig's List.

SEAWOLF97
06-30-2015, 09:33 AM
I'd recommend L-86's

audiomagnate
06-30-2015, 10:47 AM
I agree with 4429 suggestion. Only compressiond driver/horn combos sound right to me for jazz, and that's about the smallest out there that gets it right IMO.

martin2395
06-30-2015, 12:02 PM
+1 on the 4429

pyonc
06-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Hi,

JBL is for jazz, absolutely! That's why I have JBL 4343.
As you're looking for "bookself" model, you might want to try vintage L88 ( a lot bigger than bookshelf).
I've never tried it, but Haruki Murakami, famous Japanese novelist and jazz fan, used L88 in his jazz cafe during the 1970s.
Good luck!

grumpy
06-30-2015, 03:08 PM
What came to mind:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12206-Tokyo-Trip-Day-3&p=124442&viewfull=1#post124442

for similar reasons :), but that also might be a bit on the large side for some.

audiomaniac
06-30-2015, 03:43 PM
How large can you go box wise?

I'm pretty much limited to bookshelf size.

audiomaniac
06-30-2015, 03:45 PM
PT800 is the best there is for tweeter-based models. But keeping in the 12" 3-way line with your L166 would be the L112, 120ti and L100t. Take your pick, they're all great.

My buddy has L112s. They sound kind of bass heavy to me. But great treble and imaging!

audiomaniac
06-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Hi,

JBL is for jazz, absolutely! That's why I have JBL 4343.
As you're looking for "bookself" model, you might want to try vintage L88 ( a lot bigger than bookshelf).
I've never tried it, but Haruki Murakami, famous Japanese novelist and jazz fan, used L88 in his jazz cafe during the 1970s.
Good luck!

Oh man, you're killin me! I had L88s back in the day, the ones with the wood front. They got stolen. Sad day! They really rocked, which is all I listened to back in the 70's and early 80's before UPS lost them in shipment. I'm getting pissed off now just thinking about it again!:banghead:

audiomaniac
06-30-2015, 03:54 PM
The best I've heard/owned in this size and category is the professional LSR32/6332. They have the lowest level of coloration of the all 12" 3-way models previously available in the consumer and professional divisions. (although the Century Golds should be close-same basic drivers')

You'll need to use stands to get the tweeter up on the same plane as your ears. I had custom grilles made for mine by a car stereo-mobile sound company. This type of company is use to making custom grilles and should have no problem making them for you. I actually took my LSR32 to a local dealer so he could take very precise measurements so they actually looked like a factory option. They had a thin wood frame with black cloth stretched around the perimeter and were held in place with Velcro.

They image extremely well and will give you much more musical detail with lower distortion. If you cannot allocate funds for a new pair of 6332s, then wait for a clean pair of LSR32s to come-up on E-bay or Craig's List.

Interesting. I'm not familiar with that era JBLs. Looks like I need to do some reading. Thanks.

audiomaniac
06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
What came to mind:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?12206-Tokyo-Trip-Day-3&p=124442&viewfull=1#post124442

for similar reasons :), but that also might be a bit on the large side for some.

WOW! That is way cool! Thanks Grumpy! And BTW, I was just listening to Basie's "April in Paris" (one of my favs) when I was reading your reply to my post. How weird is THAT?!!!:eek:

pyonc
06-30-2015, 06:11 PM
What came to mind:

Oh, that jazz mecca of Japan!
Mr. Shoji Sugawara, owner of Basie's and jazz critic, is a JBL addict who set up the whole in-house audio system by himself with vintage JBL gear.

SEAWOLF97
06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
WOW! That is way cool! Thanks Grumpy! And BTW, I was just listening to Basie's "April in Paris" (one of my favs) when I was reading your reply to my post. How weird is THAT?!!!:eek:

I'd never discovered Basie , but did like Ray Charles .... then I found "Ray Sings, Basie Swings"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Sings,_Basie_Swings

Ray Sings, Basie Swings is a posthumously created album that mixes previously unreleased Ray Charles vocal performances, recorded at live concerts in the mid-1970s, together with newly recorded instrumental tracks by the contemporary Count Basie Orchestra.

It's become a favorite :)

grumpy
06-30-2015, 06:53 PM
AM: If the L112 almost floated your boat except the bass (sometimes perceived as heavy),
I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the L96.

rdgrimes
06-30-2015, 07:56 PM
AM: If the L112 almost floated your boat except the bass (sometimes perceived as heavy),

+1 on that, I'd even say the L96 is a better speaker in every respect except the bottom end. It might need a subwoofer for some tastes. But it has a much cleaner sound and better blending of mid-bass with mid-range. Plus the LE10H-1 is just an incredible driver.

BMWCCA
06-30-2015, 10:16 PM

I have both and find that if you just get the L112 off the ground, the extra bass goes back to normal. Love the L96 but many other sound good as well. Depending on the type of Jazz, I find horns sound fantastic on horns hence the 4345s are killers! And the 030 is amazing on Jazz guitar! Neither are bookshelf-size though.

jasn
07-01-2015, 06:40 AM
As an (original) L166 owner myself, I'm hurt to think you are missing something... ;)

speakerdave
07-01-2015, 10:05 PM
This is all truth. +1:thmbsup: