PDA

View Full Version : best driver all brands

gerard
11-12-2004, 04:07 PM
I would like to know what are in your opinion the best drivers including all brands f( jbl - vifa -audax ... ) ? :

Finally rae jbl the best of al brand ?

15" woofer
12" woofer
10" medium
1" compression driver
2" compression driver
Uhf

Gerard

Robh3606
11-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Oooo one of those threads!!!!

I don't use anything else but JBL so I am disqualified for bias reasons:D

I will give you my JBL favorites:thmbsup:

15's Well the 2235 has to be the all around winner cause it does so much so well. I think it's hard to beat. I quess some will say the TADs win out. I have heard them but not enough to really form an opinion. I have tried a good number of driver combinations in my active set-up and if I had just built my 4344 clones from the beginning, I would have stoped right there. The 2235 in a 4 way is just a great sounding driver.

For nimbleness, transient response, I think the E145 is the winner. But overall I think the 2235 has it beat. You need subs with the 145's for HiFi!!

12's I would have to say either the 2214H or 128H-1.

10's Both the 2122H and 2123H make one hell of a midrange driver.

Have to stop there my compression drivers are all 1" and over the ranges I use them in all above 1K I can't for sure tell one from another. I have 2425's 2416's and 2418's.

For UHF the 2404 beats the 2405 hands down as far as dispersion. That is the only thing I don't like about the 2405. I think as far a subtlety and detail the 2405 is the winner.

Rob:)

Steve Gonzales
11-12-2004, 06:42 PM
136A
122A
LE85
:cool:

JBL!

4313B
11-12-2004, 06:43 PM
"I quess some will say the TADs win out."

Nope, JBL is not oblivious to the existence of TAD. TAD is a little baby on the block compared to JBL and can probably be considered your basic brain drain wannabe by-product. We didn't like TAD when the defections began and we certainly don't much like them now. If someone else thinks they're great and wants to keep them in business, more power to them. Same with that Cetec Gauss garbage. Been there, done that. :barf:

Steve Gonzales
11-12-2004, 06:47 PM
No doubt there is some quality there but I godda go with the BEST ,so I see your tad and raise you a JBL! :D

scott fitlin
11-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Though there are some who may not agree, IMHO, my ALL TIME favorite 2in compression driver is the JBL 2441. I also love JBl tweeters, 2405,s and 2402,s for my application, and JBL 18,s for subs!

And Altec horn loaded 15,s for midbass! :flamer:

Alex Lancaster
11-12-2004, 07:14 PM
:) Well as far as combinations, for HiFi:

2235H ******************************2245H
2420/21/25/26 ************************2440/1/5/6
***********************************2202H
2405H ******************************2405H

For Disco, PA or SR:

2242H (have not yet used, but they get a lot of rave reviews)
2226H
2445/6 cost dependent, have not tried Al´s, Ne´s nor Be´s
2404H´s, depending if You want even more highs.

Steve Gonzales
11-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey Alex, isin't a 2202H more of a midbass, albeit a good one ?

Alex Lancaster
11-12-2004, 10:37 PM
:) Hi Steve:

Yes, I should´ve put them in order, it goes between the 2235 or 45´s and the mid, actually a copy of what JBL did with the 4350/55´s; I am no genius, but a great copy artist; Regarding other brands, with JBL You know halfway what You are doing, and I don´t need an ass telling me, I have seen them.

Steve Gonzales
11-13-2004, 12:31 AM
???????????????????????????????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :banghead:

Did you just call me an ass? Is this not a discussion forum? I don't think a simple question is out of line in the least ,little man ,and you know were you can stick your rude remarks don't you?. In the very models you site 4350/4355, that 2202H is used as a lower MID bass. I thoughtfully put in my subject:"splitting hairs" because that is what I was doing and also said "albeit a good one" as not to imply that it wasn't a good choice but that I consider a woofer's frequency range to be above the sub and below the midbass,just to get some feedback from you, not to belittle you, which by the way you have taken of care all by yourself with your rudeness, shame on you!

¿Usted justo me llamó un asno? ¿Es éste no una discusión foro? ¿I don't piensa que una pregunta simple está fuera de línea en el lo menos, pequeño hombre, y usted sabe era usted puede pegar sus observaciones groseras don't usted?

Alex Lancaster
11-13-2004, 06:42 AM
:) Steve: Absolutely not!!, what I tried to say is that the "mysterious" speaker lot are asses that will try to sell a way overpriced product mith magic capabilities, I should have been more explicit.

I am sorry to have offended anybody, but still, I don´t understand Your Spanish.;)

Steve Gonzales
11-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Hey Alex,

Your edit of your explanation makes it perfectly clear. Thank you for clearing that up. All I want to do here on this site is make friends and "talk shop", I have finally found a great place to do just that here. I saw and heard my first pair of JBL's in about 1974 (4311's) and have had the "bug" since that moment. I just want to share my little bit of knowledge and experience with like-minded people. I apologize to you for taking your statements to me the wrong way. Sincerely, Steve Gonzales.

delahais
11-13-2004, 12:03 PM
E145 can't be compared with Tad 1601a, i must say that my E145 are sleeping now in the tad cardboard box, c' est la vie !
for the others i keep with JBL.:thmbsup:

LE15-Thumper
11-14-2004, 11:35 AM
What are your opions about the robust dynamic JBL tweeters vs some of the high-end European stuff like Morel, Seas and Vifa ? Some of these are pretty damn smooth and silky. What do you guys think some of the trade offs are ?
I am rebuilding some IMF's and they are some of the sweetest sounding speakers I have heard. They don't have the dynamics like the JBL's, but they do other things better, IMHO. Also, give me your opinion on this :A lot of the purist guys out there can't stand the O75 and say it is a joke that they sell for so much on eBay. Let me know what you think. I guess this thread belongs in the "General" forum now

Mr. Widget
11-14-2004, 12:10 PM
The finest dome tweeters I have ever used were from Dynaudio. Unfortunately they no longer sell to the DIY crowd. Here are a pair of their top of the line Esotar tweeters. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5731441727&rd=1

These are used in their $80,000 statement speakers. The Esotar tweeters are most likely the very best dome tweeters made. They are not cheap.

Vifa is more in the bang for the buck category. JBL buys and uses some of their drivers in some of their lines. Morel is pretty good. Some of their early designs were licensed copies of Dynaudio models.

Seas makes a very fine tweeter. The T25CF-002 "Millennium" is very nice and costs about $160 each from Madisound.

Scan Speak also makes a very good tweeter. Their Revelator "ring radiator" is used in many excellent sounding speakers. It is also on the expensive end of the spectrum at $450 each. Even though it is a ring radiator don't confuse it with JBL's ring radiators as it isn't horn loaded. It has a smoother more extended top end than any of the JBL ring radiator models but is far less efficient. Though it is no slouch with a published rating of 94.5 dB/watt. It can also be used from 2KHz up.

I really have no comment about the JBL offerings.

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
11-14-2004, 12:36 PM
If you are prepared to go for a 10cuft box try the 2245.

Ian

Maron Horonzakz
11-14-2004, 12:49 PM
lets not forget the new classics....12" 252....8" 2250 .... 15" 2255 & 1500al

LE15-Thumper
11-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I didn't mention Dynaudio because you can't buy them raw anymore, but I do agree with you 100% . The 30W100 is one of the nicest woofers I have ever seen or heard. JMTC

The finest dome tweeters I have ever used were from Dynaudio. Unfortunately they no longer sell to the DIY crowd. Here are a pair of their top of the line Esotar tweeters. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5731441727&rd=1

These are used in their $80,000 statement speakers. The Esotar tweeters are most likely the very best dome tweeters made. They are not cheap.

Vifa is more in the bang for the buck category. JBL buys and uses some of their drivers in some of their lines. Morel is pretty good. Some of their early designs were licensed copies of Dynaudio models.

Seas makes a very fine tweeter. The T25CF-002 "Millennium" is very nice and costs about $160 each from Madisound.

Scan Speak also makes a very good tweeter. Their Revelator "ring radiator" is used in many excellent sounding speakers. It is also on the expensive end of the spectrum at $450 each. Even though it is a ring radiator don't confuse it with JBL's ring radiators as it isn't horn loaded. It has a smoother more extended top end than any of the JBL ring radiator models but is far less efficient. Though it is no slouch with a published rating of 94.5 dB/watt. It can also be used from 2KHz up.

I really have no comment about the JBL offerings.

Widget