PDA

View Full Version : JBL SDEC4500 - Possible to make silent?

Jonas_h
06-01-2015, 05:11 AM
I have an SDEC and it is placed in another room because of the fan noise. I have a lot of spare-room in my cinema, and I would really like to use this space for equipment instead of using the space in another room.

But right now, I would not be able to live with the fan noise of the SDEC. Have any of you tried doing a fan-mod on it?

Mr. Widget
06-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Have any of you tried doing a fan-mod on it?Yes. We disconnected them completely. The SDEC is in a rack with a 1U blank above and below the SDEC.

Widget

Jonas_h
06-01-2015, 06:05 AM
That sounds like a serious fan-mod ;-) But I would be really afraid that anything should happen to it. It's not cheap :/

Ed Zeppeli
06-01-2015, 06:15 AM
If the fan's not always on you could get some quieter middle atlantic fans and cool it otherwise so that it's internal doesn't kick in. If it is always on, see above post.

SEAWOLF97
06-01-2015, 08:15 AM
In my amp (not JBL) , the LOW setting on the fan didn't work ,
HIGH was too much noise.
I disconnected the fan , mounted a 110v 6in. muffin fan over the case intake
and wired it to a rheostat and can now tune fan speed to "most flow for
least noise".

no permanent mod , in case you want to revert.

Mr. Widget
06-01-2015, 08:38 AM
That sounds like a serious fan-mod ;-) But I would be really afraid that anything should happen to it. It's not cheap :/It has been on 24/7 for several years like this with no issues. I believe we also took the top off... but I don't remember for certain. It has been a few years. :)

Widget

Jonas_h
06-01-2015, 09:19 AM
It has been on 24/7 for several years like this with no issues. I believe we also took the top off... but I don't remember for certain. It has been a few years. :)

Widget

What was the temperature in the room? Do you have the chance to find out if you removed the lid or not? If I could do this, it would be a great solution for me.

Mr. Widget
06-02-2015, 12:11 AM
What was the temperature in the room? Do you have the chance to find out if you removed the lid or not? If I could do this, it would be a great solution for me.Unfortunately I'm traveling and won't be able to verify for a week or so. The room is not air conditioned and can be fairly warm... hasn't been an issue.

Widget