PDA

View Full Version : History Quiz - early 175 & H-1000 horn and D-130a welded back

Nordschleife
05-29-2015, 06:09 AM
I'm looking at three drivers and trying to understand what I have here:

1. A gray 175 compression driver with early label, serial number 21233, large manufacturer's label is Jim Lansing Signature Speaker, Venice, CA but the serial decal reads Los Angeles, CA. The 175 is attached to a H-1000 multicellular horn that has some sort of gray chopped matt damping material around it. The connectors seem to be designed as simple posts to which the wires would be soldered?

2. A D-130A woofer, reconed with gray basket, no vent hole on rear basket, serial number 5005, Jim Lansing Signature Speaker label is same as the 175's (Venice, CA), and same solder-type posts.

3. Another D-130a woofer, reconed with gray basket, this one has a vent hole in the rear welded basket. The manufacturer's label is the same style as the other two drivers but this one is addressed "Van Nays, CA" rather than Venice, CA. It also has push-type red and black connectors rather than solder connectors.

I would greatly appreciate some info as to their approximate ages and "care & feeding" -- I plan to install them in a factory C-40 Cabinet that I have in hand.

Nordschleife
05-29-2015, 06:14 AM
Photos

Horn Fanatic
05-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Photos

Greetings -

I used to own an H-1000, and it sounded wonderful. As for the damping material on the back, mine had none, ever. Mine had the Van Nuys address on the label, and may have been made in 1949 or 1950, but I'm not sure of that. It also had the solder terminals. Since I was forced to sell it a few years ago, I can search through my records for the serial number, which I will gladly offer up when I find it.

IMHO, that you have a "D-130" without the vent, it was most likely made when Jim Lansing was still alive. As the legend goes per John Eargle, I imagine, Lansing had a flash of genius one evening and beat feet down to the factory and started drilling holes in the back plates.

Just curious. Is it a D130A you have, or a 130A? Didn't the 130A preceded the D130? The D130 is not a 130A with an aluminum dome, as they are two slightly different drivers with respect to their Thiele-Small parameters. Same cones, different voice coils. The 130A is a better horn loader than the D130, and will work admirably in any of the JBL rear loaded horn enclosures. The 130A and 2220A share the same exact T-S parameters, with the only difference that being the 2220 had an upgraded surround.

H.F.

BMWCCA
05-29-2015, 04:57 PM
The D130A is a LF driver with copper voice coil @ 16ohms, according to the oldest literature in the library. Would appear to be very similar to what was later simply called the 130A. Looks like you have a D-1001 system without the crossover, and an extra woofer. From the late '40s to early '50s: http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1949/page02.jpg

NickH
05-29-2015, 07:14 PM
Wow, talk about history in the flesh. That's awesome stuff you got there.

I feel privileged just seeing the photos.

Thanks,
Nick

Nordschleife
06-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge.

The drivers work. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to mount the 175 + H-1000 horn inside my C-40 cabinet. Owing to its larger size (compared to the much smaller footprint of a 1217-1290 horn), it won't fit on the current C-40 baffle board. It looks like I'll have to construct a non-permanent secondary baffle board to locate the H-1000 in the C-40's bass horn exit path. That won't be optimal but it looks like the only practical way to mount it in the Harkness cabinet.