PDA

View Full Version : Is this a genuine Altec enclosure?

Horn Savant
05-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Came across this box, did not have a 604 in it as indicated in back panel sticker but a 1940's Jensen. Tag attached to back by old string is Altec and says Model: 605 'Federal' , Date: 6-13-46, Serial: 54 with address of 6900 McKinley Ave, Los Angeles.

However, the 605 boxes in the few 1940s catalogs that are on this site seem to be more ornate - although this one has the same Deco rounded sides with pinstripe veneer sections.

Horn Fanatic
05-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Came across this box, did not have a 604 in it as indicated in back panel sticker but a 1940's Jensen. Tag attached to back by old string is Altec and says Model: 605 'Federal' , Date: 6-13-46, Serial: 54 with address of 6900 McKinley Ave, Los Angeles.

However, the 605 boxes in the few 1940s catalogs that are on this site seem to be more ornate - although this one has the same Deco rounded sides with pinstripe veneer sections.

Greetings Horn Savant -

Another version of the 605 cabinet. Note the same top panel, and a few less breaks in the veneer. The RCA LC1 and LS1 enclosures had similar veneer breaks also. It seemed to be a popular thing to do during those days. Too bad some joker wrote on the label. The toned down styling could have been an option to save consumers a few bucks.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1945-duplex/page09.jpg

H.F.

Wagner
05-25-2015, 12:54 PM
I am not an expert but this is my understanding:
PRIOR to the ubiquitous moniker "604A-B-C-etc" a "605" was a "601" designated loudspeaker (and possibly early production "604"s) married to a box from the factory, NOT the ultimate replacement for the "604" series loudspeaker proper, the oft maligned "605" loudspeaker proper................so, the identification of that box as a "605" could be/is period correct and I can see nothing from that photo that would lead me to think it was anything but a genuine ALTEC cabinet

Horn Fanatic
05-25-2015, 01:33 PM
I am not an expert but this is my understanding:
PRIOR to the ubiquitous moniker "604A-B-C-etc" a "605" was a "601" designated loudspeaker (and possibly early production "604"s) married to a box from the factory, NOT the ultimate replacement for the "604" series loudspeaker proper, the oft maligned "605" loudspeaker proper................so, the identification of that box as a "605" could be/is period correct and I can see nothing from that photo that would lead me to think it was anything but a genuine ALTEC cabinet

There was never a "604A"model. It was the 604, then 604B, both with the true multi-cell horn, then subsequent models with the egg crate horn ending with the 8LN model if memory serves me correctly, all with the ALNICO magnets. The 605 was never a 601, as the 601 was a field coil driver. The 605 was introduced nearly two decades after the 604 was put into production, so the 605 couldn't have been an "early production" 604.

farleybob
05-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Pretty cool cabinet. The overall shape looks right for a 605 cabinet. Could you take a couple of photos of the back and of the construction of the interior of the cabinet? These construction would give clues. What are the dimensions? It seems likely that Altec would have kept the same overall dimensions even if they did agree to make a plainer version of the 605.

Horn Savant
05-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Pretty cool cabinet. The overall shape looks right for a 605 cabinet. Could you take a couple of photos of the back and of the construction of the interior of the cabinet? These construction would give clues. What are the dimensions? It seems likely that Altec would have kept the same overall dimensions even if they did agree to make a plainer version of the 605.

The dimensions are 39.5 x 30.5 x 17. The inside has strange sound dampening bags. The underneath is of complex construction. But more plain Jane than beautiful 605 in catalog (never seen one of those - super rare?).

Ones here are simpler than catalog version and have 604 sticker on back!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1946-ALTEC-LANSING-speakers-/111669145653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fffff035 Oh boy!

So maybe there were factory variations? That Altec 'production ticket' is some provenance?

Horn Savant
05-25-2015, 06:30 PM
So I see the ebay ones have the same dampening bags. A key statement by the seller is that they were from a Radio station.

It appears now that there were more commercial styles made by Altec in 1946 for Studios/Broadcast that didn't make it into the catalog
-- there being material shortages right after WWII

Wagner
05-25-2015, 10:08 PM
There was never a "604A"model. It was the 604, then 604B, both with the true multi-cell horn, then subsequent models with the egg crate horn ending with the 8LN model if memory serves me correctly, all with the ALNICO magnets. The 605 was never a 601, as the 601 was a field coil driver. The 605 was introduced nearly two decades after the 604 was put into production, so the 605 couldn't have been an "early production" 604.
We're talking about a cabinet, the "605", not a loudspeaker:
"The field coil Duplex was introduced in 1943 and was originally given the model number 601 (it should be noted that this design bore no relation to the 601 introduced in the 1950's that was a 12" permanent magnet coaxial driver). The original 601 was available as a component kit or could be ordered installed in a utility cabinet as the model 602 or in a furniture cabinet as the model 605."

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/altec/extracts/thumbs/605cabinet_small.jpg (http://www.audioheritage.org/images/altec/extracts/605cabinet.jpg)
Altec Lansing 605 Cabinet
© Altec Lansing Technologies

Horn Fanatic
05-26-2015, 07:31 AM
We're talking about a cabinet, the "605", not a loudspeaker:
"The field coil Duplex was introduced in 1943 and was originally given the model number 601 (it should be noted that this design bore no relation to the 601 introduced in the 1950's that was a 12" permanent magnet coaxial driver). The original 601 was available as a component kit or could be ordered installed in a utility cabinet as the model 602 or in a furniture cabinet as the model 605."

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/altec/extracts/thumbs/605cabinet_small.jpg (http://www.audioheritage.org/images/altec/extracts/605cabinet.jpg)
Altec Lansing 605 Cabinet
© Altec Lansing Technologies

You really should read what you write. It was you who referenced the 605 as an early 604, not me. "PRIOR to the ubiquitous moniker "604A-B-C-etc" a "605" was a "601" designated loudspeaker (and possibly early production "604"s)" "NOT the ultimate replacement for the "604" series loudspeaker proper, the oft maligned "605" loudspeaker proper."

Yes, the 605 Duplex was not a user favorite, so when you use the word, "maligned", you must mean the 605 Duplex loudspeaker, not the 605 cabinet. Perhaps your confusion is calling a speaker enclosure a loudspeaker.

You're right, you are not and expert. BTW - thanks for re-posting the same photograph I posted.

farleybob
05-26-2015, 08:16 AM
The construction inside looks right. The cheesecloth and rock wool insulation (I think that's right) looks vintage and original and the bracing looks right. The bottom looks like it matches the 605. It looks like the cabinet is a 605. If I had to make my best guess, I'd say it started out life as a regular 605. At some point in time, it looks like some one swapped out the 604 for a Jensen type H speaker. I'm guessing at that point, it may have been refinished/remodeled. The back and the bottom seem to show some signs that this may have been done. It reminds me a little of the "modernized" Jensen Imperial cabinets from the early 1950's (not the giant ones, but the little bass reflex models that just had simple trim around the grill cloth). On the other hand, I guess it is always possible that Altec made a run of cheaper 605's for some contract. It just seems unlikely since they already had the 612 utility cabinets that were used in radio stations and studios. The cabinets in the ebay auction don't look right; I'd hesitate to judge originality by them. Do a google image search on "Altec 605 cabinet". There are some pretty unmolested cabinets there. Whether it's been remodeled or it is totally original, that is a very cool cabinet! Congratulations!

Wagner
05-26-2015, 08:37 AM
The construction inside looks right. The cheesecloth and rock wool insulation (I think that's right) looks vintage and original and the bracing looks right. The bottom looks like it matches the 605. It looks like the cabinet is a 605. If I had to make my best guess, I'd say it started out life as a regular 605. At some point in time, it looks like some one swapped out the 604 for a Jensen type H speaker. I'm guessing at that point, it may have been refinished/remodeled. The back and the bottom seem to show some signs that this may have been done. It reminds me a little of the "modernized" Jensen Imperial cabinets from the early 1950's (not the giant ones, but the little bass reflex models that just had simple trim around the grill cloth). On the other hand, I guess it is always possible that Altec made a run of cheaper 605's for some contract. It just seems unlikely since they already had the 612 utility cabinets that were used in radio stations and studios. The cabinets in the ebay auction don't look right; I'd hesitate to judge originality by them. Do a google image search on "Altec 605 cabinet". There are some pretty unmolested cabinets there. Whether it's been remodeled or it is totally original, that is a very cool cabinet! Congratulations!
I think it's genuine as well; with the early stuff, JBL included, I have handled many boxes possessing variations from the catalog shots and knew them to be "authentic"
Notably the C40 boxes and the C51 "Apollo"; more than a couple of configurations and panel adjustments made over the total production run
Catalogs (the ones which remain for research purposes) do not always depict all of the "options" or reflect model refinements made over the course of a run either, unfortunately, (and we've got years missing on top of that)
As for stain and dye dribbles and runs? I see it often on 100% provenance known cabinets from these decades (those with original finishes).............PHILCO radios, JBLs ancient Electro-Voice etc just the way they turned out (production techniques)
Authentic "University" and Stephens cabinets are especially frustrating at times, even Electro-Voice
His paper labels and the construction quality/attention to details convince me if nothing else

Wagner
05-26-2015, 09:07 AM
You really should read what you write. It was you who referenced the 605 as an early 604, not me. "PRIOR to the ubiquitous moniker "604A-B-C-etc" a "605" was a "601" designated loudspeaker (and possibly early production "604"s)" "NOT the ultimate replacement for the "604" series loudspeaker proper, the oft maligned "605" loudspeaker proper."

Yes, the 605 Duplex was not a user favorite, so when you use the word, "maligned", you must mean the 605 Duplex loudspeaker, not the 605 cabinet. Perhaps your confusion is calling a speaker enclosure a loudspeaker.

You're right, you are not and expert. BTW - thanks for re-posting the same photograph I posted.

:blink:

Horn Savant
05-27-2015, 04:13 AM

I can't see how logically or practically anyone could hack the construction, though, granted, another example of this (Studio?) style cannot be found.

Interestingly, both this one and the ebay Radio Station ones are 40" tall vs 38" for more ornate equivalent Home speaker enclosure.