PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4673...Value???

HemiMoparGuy198
05-25-2015, 08:04 AM
Hey All,

I'm not sure where exactly to put this question, whether market place or here. I chose here cuz I am inquiring a value and not actually trying to sell anything.

So here's the scoop, I had a fire in my house. Despite the fire causing very little damage itself, the smoke caused a "total loss" for the entire interior according to the insurance company...so they say everything inside needs to be replaced including ripping out all of drywall and everything right to bare studs...anyway, that means all of my contents are a "loss" and insurance is cutting a check for the value of everything. I've done a bit of digging trying to find an approximate value on my JBL 4673s. I know the condition is a big part if I was actually to sell them, but all in all, what would it realistically cost to replace these speakers? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

Horn Fanatic
05-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Hey All,

I'm not sure where exactly to put this question, whether market place or here. I chose here cuz I am inquiring a value and not actually trying to sell anything.

So here's the scoop, I had a fire in my house. Despite the fire causing very little damage itself, the smoke caused a "total loss" for the entire interior according to the insurance company...so they say everything inside needs to be replaced including ripping out all of drywall and everything right to bare studs...anyway, that means all of my contents are a "loss" and insurance is cutting a check for the value of everything. I've done a bit of digging trying to find an approximate value on my JBL 4673s. I know the condition is a big part if I was actually to sell them, but all in all, what would it realistically cost to replace these speakers? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

Greetings -

I don't keep up with JBL commercial sound systems, so can I safely assume the 4673 has been out of production for a spell? If so, the value of vintage equipment is volatile. Your biggest battle will be convincing your insurance company to pay you what the system is worth, not what your insurance company thinks it's worth. For example; a friend of mine had several vintage guitars stolen out of his shop. One of the instruments was a 1963 Fender Stratocaster. His insurance company only wanted to pay him for what the instrument cost in 1963, not it's vintage value in 1996. They gave in only after he went around with them for nearly a year before he convinced them what the true value was.

My advice is to review 4673 component prices on Ebay, unless you find an auction for a complete system. No doubt you will find the horns and drivers on Ebay, so another tack would be to get an estimate from a cabinet maker to reproduce the cabinets, unless you need to have the JBL stencil on them.

H.F.

Don C
05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
I noticed a similar set for sale on Craigslist at 1100.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/eld/5030817194.html

grumpy
05-25-2015, 08:34 PM
If the insurance company will accept replacement value numbers from a pro sound shop... Look for something current with a similar driver complement and function. Even a lesser 3678 pair would be worthwhile to respond with (~3k/pair? unless I got that wrong).

baldrick
05-26-2015, 01:56 AM
If I remember correct 4673 uses a low power 2035 woofer and a 2445/2446 2" driver.

The 4670 system listed above uses dual high Power 15s (2226) and the same 2445/2446, and therefor a more expensive system.

3678 uses a single high Power 2226 but the smaller 2426 1" driver so my guess is that it would be similar price as 4673.

HemiMoparGuy198
05-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks for all of the advice guys. The idea to get a cost of the separate components and a custom built cabinet was very good, because it means they will have to pay at least that amount, but then that's not an original JBL speaker. The insurance seems to be being very honest and fair so far. They're telling me that just about everything can be restored and that they will pay for it to be restored, but it's cheaper to replace...then if they replace it the old item is still mine to do with what I want. So my plan is to just take the money for the speakers (and most things) and clean them up the best I can myself. I figure if I can't get the smell of smoke out of the speakers enough to where I won't want to put them in a brand new house, the will still make fabulous speakers for my pole barn where I won't care about the smell.

Ed Zeppeli
05-26-2015, 07:24 PM
That sounds like an ideal outcome!