PDA

View Full Version : identifying a jbl cone kit

NickH
05-23-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm sure tis has been covered before. I did a search but came up with no help. So how can I tell if a driver has a jbl cone kit in it just by a visual examination?

Thanks,
Nick

Wagner
05-23-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm sure tis has been covered before. I did a search but came up with no help. So how can I tell if a driver has a jbl cone kit in it just by a visual examination?

Thanks,
Nick
Other than recognizing it's consruction from cones past (advanced level experience), look on the back for the printed cone/kit number; sometimes a paper sticker with a JBL serial number printed on it will be present as well.............also, look for any of the re-coner's notations (sometimes factory too), usually written with what looks like chalk

NickH
05-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Ok let me be more specific. I've got what is called a 2226 but I've got a few concerns about it. There's no grease pencil writing saying 2226 on the back of the cone. There is stencil writing though but its an arbitrary number. But my biggest concern is the voice coil former is not kapton its fiberglass. The voice coil windings are right and they look like there aluminum. Are there any other things that can tell me if these cones are jbl or not?

Thanks,
Nick

Ed Zeppeli
05-24-2015, 06:34 AM
Post a pic!

NickH
05-24-2015, 05:14 PM

Ive attached 4 photos of the various parts of the voice coil cone area. Im concerned since the voice coil former is not captain which I thought 2226's were supposed to be. Plus theres no grease pencil writing of 2226 on the back of the cone, only a painted stencil. Also the part number on the voice coil doesn't look like a jbl part number.

Excuse the leg in one of the shots, my photographer wasn't paying attention to his work as he had a few beers,:D.

Thanks,
Nick

Earl K
05-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Those certainly look original . JBL tech sheets always say they retain the right to change production aspects of their products ( if they feel it makes an improvement ) .
- ie; it's really best to not get hung up on what you think the parts should be ( or look like ) . What's important is how they measure .

Grease pencil markings aren't applied by the factory / it's a "best practice" protocol applied by official JBL reconers .

:)

NickH
05-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Cool beans, thanks Earl.

Nick