PDA

View Full Version : Are there better or equal drop-in/no mod replacements for an 066 tweeter?

aj_chicago
05-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Working on restoring a 4313b pair. I asked this question in another thread in a round about way, but it wasn't the subject of the thread. Thought I'd try it as the subject. I did see replies suggesting a larger hole via hole saw and router, but id rather not modify the cabinet. Is there a drop-in replacement for an 066 that is sonically equivalent or better? Thanks.

grumpy
05-22-2015, 09:59 AM
If you're restoring a 4313B, you need an 066. They can be found.

I don't know of any 'drop-in' tweeters... one that would match the diameter,
mounting hole pattern, and response/sensitivity.

Figuring out how to install something from the 044 series or 035, 052 series would
be both more effort and not match: potentially requiring some crossover work as well
as changing the speaker, visually... but may sound better to you.

aj_chicago
05-22-2015, 12:34 PM
If you're restoring a 4313B, you need an 066. They can be found.

I don't know of any 'drop-in' tweeters... one that would match the diameter,
mounting hole pattern, and response/sensitivity.

Figuring out how to install something from the 044 series or 035, 052 series would
be both more effort and not match: potentially requiring some crossover work as well
as changing the speaker, visually... but may sound better to you.

Thanks. Didn't even consider there would be a crossover difference. These 066's don't sound bad to my ear, but I am about to open them up to straighten the domes. If something happens or I decide I want to replace them, I'll be looking for original 066's. On another subject, is there a good way to isolate the LE5-9's to see what one sounds like compared to another? I saw in another thread that there is a difference in load on the crossovers if you disconnect the other components. Another tangent, but I'm learning. :dont-know:

grumpy
05-22-2015, 02:02 PM
bah. If you're curious, just hook them up straight and don't crank the bass or volume.