PDA

View Full Version : L220 veneer repair and adjustable feet

billiam62
05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I am working on a pair of L220s. They have what I guess is normal wear and tear of chips in veneer at the bottom of the speakers. I would like to ask two questions. What is a normal process for fixing that. I was thinking about patching with other veneer. However, I can see this as being problematic. Are there recommended walnut colored fillers that can be stained if the chips are small? I have seen a product called Timbermate that seems to get nice reviews. Also, once the cabs are finished, are there adjustable feet that are recommended to keep this from happening again?

If there are any write-ups of a restoration of some L220s or something close, I would appreciate a link. Thank you

macaroonie
05-05-2015, 01:38 PM
If you could post a few pics of the damage at the base the brains trust will come up with something.

One idea , if the chipping does not extend any more than say 1/2" then you could either tun a router around all of it to a depth of 1/4" the paint that black creating a shadow gap.

or

Local veneer repairs are no too difficult and walnut is quite forgiving.

M

billiam62
05-05-2015, 06:13 PM
If you could post a few pics of the damage at the base the brains trust will come up with something.

One idea , if the chipping does not extend any more than say 1/2" then you could either tun a router around all of it to a depth of 1/4" the paint that black creating a shadow gap.

or

Local veneer repairs are no too difficult and walnut is quite forgiving.

M

There are also superficial scratches. I don't think there is anything major, but it will take a while to make them nice again.

SEAWOLF97
05-05-2015, 06:28 PM
I like Mac's idea

Don't know how similar the 220's bottoms are to my 250's, but I had similar (but less severe) problems. for the carpet rash .... filled the spots with dark stain, but that wasn't enough . when the stain dried, filled in with dark brown show polish. that worked pretty well.

check the feet , those are usually the culprit. little white/yellow plastic buttons. remove those. I needed to be able to slide the speakers at some point, so got those round button steel feet on a threaded shaft that goes into a nylon insert. they worked great and can level speakers if needed. The factory holes need enlarging to 1/4 inch, but they are far enough under that the feet are not visible. There are a couple of threads around here on the subject containing good suggestions.

here was my "feet solution"

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?22719-Preserving-250ti-veneer-skirts&highlight=

macaroonie
05-06-2015, 03:36 AM
Thanks for posting the pics. On balance I would go with my first suggestion. You have loads of defects on most surfaces , individual repairs would probably end up looking like a patchwork quilt unless you are very skilled at veneer patching.
Don't get me wrong it can be done but I suspect that once you got into it you would find all sorts of other bits where the veneer is loose.
Hence I would go the router route. Looks to me like the biggest chips extend ~ 3/4" , . Establish a straight line that will absorb all the chops and scribe your line with a straight edge and score the veneer with a sharp craft knife. This is to prevent the router causing any more chip out.
Rout as I suggest , you will need to do the rounded edges with a sharp chisel once you have done the faces.

You have an choice , either route down to 1/4" all round and create a shadow gap. If you are going to be on carpet you will scarcely see it , on a wood or tile floor it will look normal anyway. Black paint of course.

If you don't like that as a look you could infill with little strips of solid walnut and fudge in the blend and finish. Done well, again you will not notice it.

Seawolf's suggestion of threaded feet is good , it will allow you to squre the speaker up if the floor is a little uneven.
Spikes would be an alternative.

Note , if you are not comfy with using a router in this way , you will need a guide clamped on as you do each face btw , then get someone in that is adept with this tool. You can do a LOT of damage with a router if you are not used to using one.

billiam62
05-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I feel comfortable with a router. I bought these at a thrift store. The feet are long gone. What I had actually thought of at one point is to remove all the veneer in a straight line about 3/4 of an inch up and then replace with the same size of walnut veneer patch (I know the grain would not match but could perhaps come close). Staining would be tough to get right. I also like the idea of doing the 1/4 shadow painted black. My wife also suggested attaching a trim. Getting the corners right with that would be an issue but doable. I will need to find some good feet and make sure that they can take the weight. The speakers will be sitting on saltillo tile (hate the stuff but yet to have it ripped out). Because of the large grout lines and bumps, I would think adjustable would be best.

I really appreciate the suggestions.