PDA

View Full Version : Altec 817-A Enigma! Input Needed

dc270
04-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Altec 817-A Enigma! Input Needed
I am helping a gentleman with a fairly sizable project. What I have is a mix match of odds and ends- not exactly sure what to make of it all, so I am asking here. First here is the list of parts inventoried to have made these once sing:

Per cab x 2 cabs

Cabs 817-A cabinets
416/ 8 ohm & 421 8H. 8 ohm woofers. 1 416 need rebuilt has a rub.
2, 511 horn cells with 902 8B/ 8 ohm & 807-8A/ 8 ohm drivers simbiotik phragms
2, N-1285-8B networks
2, 20 ohm/ 20 watt resistors in series with + & - to the horn driver, outside the networks. 1, 15 ohm resistor (20 watt( wired between the two woofers. I suspect they were compensating for the woofers and horn driver to give an 8 ohm load back to the network. I would rather dump the Altec network and build my own at this point- do away with the outboard strings of resistors.

What are the thoughts here with miss matched horn drivers and woofers in each cabinet? Could I effectively run just one 511 horn for the cabs and driver types?

The customer wants a nice faux wood finish on the cabs- which I can do. As for all the miss matched stuff- any thoughts? The customer has nice tube gear and is OK with 16 ohm loads. I could series wire the woofers and even the horns to get the 16 ohms- after I build a proper 16ohm network.

Thanks for your hopeful input!
DC