PDA

View Full Version : JBL UREI 7922 Digital Audio Delay

David Ketley
03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
I've just acquired JBL 7922 Digital Audio Delay to time align my JBL 2405 with the mouth of the JBL 2446 horn bringing it forward by about 15" from the physically aligned position.

Anyone had any experience with these units? I was not very happy putting another DA converter into the system but as the unit was well priced thought I would give it a try. Will it have the usual problems of older gear worn out caps etc?

grumpy
03-23-2015, 10:11 AM
The last unit I played with was the older PAD-300/18 for delaying a full-range center channel
in 3-ch music-only system.

I did not use it to integrate drivers within a single speaker.

When it worked and the input/output levels were set properly, it sounded pretty good
(the delay effect provided more enjoyment than any detriment to sound quality).

The problem I experienced was glitching sounds (I think) due to failing RAM chips.
I eventually gave up on it.

I would expect a 7922 to sound better and hopefully have fewer issues (being newer).
I don't know if they are serviceable (esp. parts availability/obsolescence).

David Ketley
03-26-2015, 09:38 AM
The last unit I played with was the older PAD-300/18 for delaying a full-range center channel
in 3-ch music-only system.

I did not use it to integrate drivers within a single speaker.

When it worked and the input/output levels were set properly, it sounded pretty good
(the delay effect provided more enjoyment than any detriment to sound quality).

The problem I experienced was glitching sounds (I think) due to failing RAM chips.
I eventually gave up on it.

I would expect a 7922 to sound better and hopefully have fewer issues (being newer).
I don't know if they are serviceable (esp. parts availability/obsolescence).

Now Ive got the unit I find that its not a stereo unit but one channel in to two out. I,m not sure if there is any way of wiring it so I can get my JBL 2405s forward from the physical alignment. Need another unit?

ivica
03-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Now Ive got the unit I find that its not a stereo unit but one channel in to two out. I,m not sure if there is any way of wiring it so I can get my JBL 2405s forward from the physical alignment. Need another unit?

Hi David,
I think Behringer DCX2496, would be good solution (concerning the price as a factor too), if mentioned JBL has been acceptable solution.

May be even miniDSP
http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4
can be used ( if the budget is limited), or Xilica XD4080 or XP4080 if there is enough pile of $$$.
http://xilica.com/products/xd/

regards
ivica

grumpy
03-26-2015, 03:23 PM
those series of units are single channel in. multitap delay out.

As Ivica mentioned there are other options (stereo)... I think Rane had a series of units as well (AD-22 something ...)

I think I'd just be moving the 2405 around until it sounded ok.

David Ketley
03-29-2015, 04:48 AM
I think your right Grumpy, keep it simple.