PDA

View Full Version : jbl sc305

bldozier
03-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Im looking to add the sc305 as a center channel, id also like to use the bowes&wilikins as a powered subwoofer, but I will discuss it in another thread,
So the sc305 jbl has what looks like a vinyl faux laminating finish, does anyone know for sure? I was thinking about using actual veener and replacing the faux stuff, it also uses 5" drivers (2) I thought maybe le5 may work as a match to the l88s im using, and an le25. any advice?
Thanks

O I like the sc305 since it fits, anything larger will not fit and be symetrical. At least from jbl.

rdgrimes
03-19-2015, 11:19 AM
I have an SC305 collecting dust - which is about the only thing its good at. I'd give it away if I could. I'd urge you to find a way to accommodate a decent center, or eliminate the center and go with "phantom center" mode in your processor.

That said, it has what looks like a black ash veneer on it.

bldozier
03-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Even with matching the le5 and le25, wouldent this effect the timbre, I can also use (2) centers with the current processor. Maybe another center can help.

rdgrimes
03-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Given your L88s, I still think a better option would be phantom center.

bldozier
03-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Read about the subenclosure, for the le5. Should not be to difficult to reproduce I the sc305, with its depth, im not sure if the subenclosure is speaker specific or driver. Sent you a pm.
The l88 are up front l88p are going in the rear. I think id need a mid voive range drive up front, the tv does an ok job, id love to add new tv drivers but how, upen up the television and replace them,

hjames
03-20-2015, 02:03 PM
For music - do a phantom center if you like - but for TV and home theater, a real center speaker is better.
Most of the dialog is based in the center channel - and tonally, its best to have a speaker in the center thats a tonal match for your front mains.
It won't need to go ral deep, so you don't need a big woofer on the center - but it should have a midrange and tweeter that match whatever your front mains are.

You can do it cheaper by just sticking any old speaker you find in that spot, but it won't be better than a 3rd matched speaker.