PDA

View Full Version : 4344 Crossover Network Replacement Advice Giskard CC / Passive / or what ??

Val33
03-19-2015, 07:16 AM
Hi All

I have a set of original 4344's and I want to sort out the crossovers. I run them bi-amped so I want to get rid of the bi-amp switch, upgrade the capacitors/resistors and simplify/upgrade the internal wiring. I want whatever I do to be reversible to preserve resale value so have decided to build replacement networks.

Giskards CC 3145 network seems to be the most common recommendation. I have found two versions, the latest is linked as a download in this post: #4 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?10613-4345-Includes-Designer-s-Post&p=324125&viewfull=1#post324125) and the older one is here: #3 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?16967-4345-References-Thread&p=171841&viewfull=1#post171841) . I am assuming that the latest version is the one to build?

I would like to build this only once, so have to decide what capacitors to use and wether or not to Charge couple them. My budget would allow me to CC Claritycap SA's, has anyone done this and what was the result? If not Charge Coupling, I can afford/justify using more expensive capacitors, e.g.: Jantzen Superior Z-Cap's, anyone used them? Any other recommendations?

I mainly listen seriously to vinyl played on a Kenwood L-07d with Benz Micro LPs through a DIY 'Paradise' Phono stage into a DIY Tube buffer/TVC pre into Lyngdorf RP-1 then to a pair of DIY 300b PP tube amps for the mid/top and JBL MPA600 on the bass.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received. I fully understand that the subject is very much down to personal preferences and system interactions, but its good to hear of others opinions and experience!

Thanks

Val

speakerdave
03-19-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm using charge coupled ClarityCap SA's in front of my TAD 4003 horn/driver combo. I've never experimented with boutique caps, so I can't say I've made any comparisons, so all I can really say is they sound good to me.