PDA

View Full Version : Naming a New Audio Company

speakerdave
03-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Leafing through the pages of almost any audio magazine of almost any era one is struck by the plethora of ambitious attempts to become an audio manufacturer. So many ingenious and not so ingenious products, and the company names even more so.

So the question naturally occurs to an idle mind, if I were going to launch an audio company, not for accessories, but making something in the reproduction chain, speakers or amps, say, what would its name be, and what it's motto.

For example, mine, not to be taken too seriously, mind, might be Day, and it's motto could be based on a line from Will Shakespeare: "How sweetly the Day doth commend itself to thy senses."

Seriously, or not so seriously, and if you can do so without giving away something you might later want really to own, please share your ideas. I know you have them.

Or maybe you can recall one that you've seen and think remarkable in some way.

SEAWOLF97
03-18-2015, 12:16 PM
conversely , I thought this a crappy name for audio gear. ==>> http://schiit.com/

(unless it's really a "truth in advertising" ploy :eek: )

Wornears
03-18-2015, 12:30 PM
How about "The Sound & The Fury"?

From Shakespeare's Macbeth soliloquy, "a tale full of sound and fury" and the title of William Faulkner's novel.

Or it could be used for a headbanger band name.

Maron Horonzakz
03-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Some people just use there own name...HH SCOTT,, MARANTZ,, FISHER,,LANSING

Ed Zeppeli
03-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Hertz So Good.

No?

speakerdave
03-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Hertz So Good.

No?

:applaud:

Mr. Widget
03-18-2015, 08:35 PM
Hertz So Good.

No?Along those lines.... Gauss had a certain magnetism. Sorry... not as good as yours, but I just had to. :duck:

Widget

grumpy
03-18-2015, 08:46 PM
I Gauss so...

if it were a voice coil based driver co, BL Products Inc?

Fine Tuning?

Melodorrhea?

I should stop ... a few lines ago.

1audiohack
03-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I don't have a company name but my slogan would be:

"Winning the war against silence. "

For the record, I actually quite enjoy silence. I am married with children after all.

Barry.

honkytonkwillie
03-18-2015, 10:42 PM
JAMF

From I-can't-remember-which Dirty Harry film.

Ian Mackenzie
03-19-2015, 12:22 AM
What's wrong with SpeakerDave ?

If your are starting out smallnames for the business often reflect the owner in some way.

Alternatively think of your favourite tune ie Penny Lane Audio

martin2395
03-19-2015, 03:33 AM

If your are starting out smallnames for the business often reflect the owner in some way.

Alternatively think of your favourite tune ie Penny Lane Audio

Make it SpeakerDave Industries, sounds more serious :D (Krell industries anyone? ;) )

antoninus9
03-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Some would say that music is a spiritual experience, and in that line of thought a name from remote antiquity. For instance, as I recollect in the Bible, the spirit of "Jubal" is referred to in relation to music. Thus, "Jubal Audio," or "Jubal Sound". This is only one example. You could go for something Greek, Roman, etc.

grumpy
03-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Jubalus Maximus?

Non Equus Stercore?

Jucunda Audio?

antoninus9
03-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Well... you might want to avoid the use of "Stercore". It may give the wrong impression regarding the quality of your equipment. lol :spin:

grumpy
03-19-2015, 12:44 PM
hence the non :)

LowPhreak
03-19-2015, 01:32 PM

Well, there's already a Stereo Dave's in the U.S. http://www.stereodaves.com/index.php :dont-know:

How about "Great Unwashed Audio"? High-end for the masses. "A Bryston in every pot!" :D Not sure how we'd work the profit margins though.

speakerdave
03-19-2015, 02:26 PM
. . . . "A Bryston in every pot!" . . . .

:p

A good motto for FDR Audio.