PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new here I just joined and have questions re my Jubals...

GlacierJohn
03-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Hello all, being a huge JBL fan I have followed various threads here for a year or so and finally joined. I put my first good system together in 1975. It was a Dual 701 turntable, Dynaco PAT 5 Preamp, ST 400 power amp powering L-65 Jubals. I still have those Jubals to this day, but over the years I have had Martin Logan CLS's, B&W DM 330s and DM 2000s, Klpisch Cornwalls and JBL Flairs. Right now I'm listening to my Jubals through a CJ PV 2a and Mcintosh MC 225. I also have the B&W DM 2000s hooked up to some modified Dynaco MK IIIs through a VanAlstine Super PAS 3.

My Jubals are I very good original condition except I replaced the original binding post years.

Before I continue; is t normal for there t be a lag typing? If I type at normal speed, etters get skpped. Also is there a setting tht would start with post #1 at the top of the page instead o the last post at the start of the thread?

Thanks,
John

honkytonkwillie
03-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the forums. You'll learn a lot here.

Skipping letters and lagginess sounds like something on your end.

What's up with your speakers?

1audiohack
03-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Up on the top left corner of the screen I am replying on is a button that has an A/A in it. Toggling this on meaning that it turns blue takes all the letter skipping problems away for me anyway.

In the off mode I can even out type it on my Iphone.

Try that.

All the best and welcome to Lansing.

Barry.

Mr. Widget
03-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Also is there a setting tht would start with post #1 at the top of the page instead o the last post at the start of the thread?

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes... that is how I have my settings setup. I'm not sure where I set that up though... it's been a long time since I changed any settings. You'll have to hunt through the settings.

Widget

Ed Kreamer
03-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Colleagues,

Greetings John, your going to love this place. All kinds of stuff to learn. By the way my Sister in law lives just up the road in Bad Rock and my beloved Spouse is from West Glacier.
So what's up with your L65's?

I too had problems with typing in stuff. Thank you Barry for the info on the A/A button.

Ed

Mr. Widget
03-14-2015, 05:14 PM
I poked around a bit. Here you go on the display options:

Click on Forum Actions, click on General Settings, go down to Thread Display Options and change it to "Oldest First".

See Below.

Widget

GlacierJohn
03-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Thank you for the replies. As I noted earlier my L-65s are in good shape considering they will be 40 years old this next Fall. The glass is intact, but I lost the little JBL emblem and back mat years ago. I nicked a small corner of walnut trim, there are some chips in the particle board base and some spots here and there. The worst thing is I removed the foilcals years ago when I replaced the corroded L-pads. JBL re-coned my LE5-5s back around 1987. I've re-foamed my woofers two or three times, last time around 1998. The walnut veneer is fine, but could use a light sanding and re-oil. So I was just planning on refurbishing the Jubals along with re-capping the cross-overs, but my good friend is talking me into using the drivers to build an updated design. The way Jubals are parted out on ebay, somebody finds these drivers useful.

I'm an architect and I use AutoCAD, so I drew up a design. I'm not even close to being an audio engineer, so I wasn't going to get too creative. My plan is to make the cabinet just wide enough to house the 12" woofer, calculate the interior volume and stick to that, taller and deeper. As I still couldn't get the 077s up to ear level, I was going to tilt the front panel back 5 degrees. My buddy has a cabinet shop and will help me. I will use 1" Baltic birch plywood, brace the hell out of them, and walnut veneer the whole thing. I would like to attach a pdf of my plan, can anybody help with that? I was planning o building new cross-overs based on the original design, but set up to bi-amp with my MC225 powering the top end and a ST400 taking care of the bass.

What do you think? Is this a worthwhile project, or should I just refirb the Jubals and put them on stands?

speakerdave
03-18-2015, 05:02 PM
An ambitious project indeed. However, I don't think you're going to gain much except to get the tweeter up higher, but you get that by putting the speakers on stands, which would also get the woofer off the floor, which should be done with many speakers to clean up the bass. Problem is, I thought this speaker sounded better on the floor, and I actually think it was finalized with that location in mind. I don't think this speaker was designed for people who like to sit in the sweet spot and look for imaging. In my experience there was none of the former and very little of the latter.

Since cabinets affect sound, system integration (the crossover) is completed with the drivers in a prototype. Your new speaker would not sound like a Jubal. Maybe better, maybe worse. Who knows?

One of the really good things about that speaker is the cabinet design. It is a damn handsome cabinet.

I had some L65's for a couple of years and spent many hours contemplating how to improve them. The system is a certain set of compromises that were directed at a certain goal, and I came to see that all the issues were very carefully thought through and the solutions were delicately balanced. In the end I decided just to let them be what they were.

Recapping the crossovers I think is a solid idea. You get at the crossovers by pulling the woofers.

speakerdave
03-18-2015, 05:17 PM
If I still had my L65's I would not use them for focused listening. They would be somewhere safely out of the way, where music played at low levels is sometimes desired. I would leave them sitting on the floor since that is where they look their best, and it has the additional advantage of playing their very hot upper midrange to the knees, which didn't seem to mind it. Then if there was a party I could set some pate and chips on the plate glass and turn the amp up a bit as well.

honkytonkwillie
03-18-2015, 10:36 PM
The L65 cabinets are a bit of a conundrum. The glass tops beg to have lamps or drinks set upon them, but they sound a lot better up off the floor a good bit. And the fact that the driver layout on the baffles isn't mirror imaged bothers me quite a lot.

My pro-audio buddy pointed out to me that "most" JBL cabinet dimensions are of the golden ratio. As an aesthetic, I get it. That ratio looks nice - whether we see it everywhere and it's familiar, or we're genetically programmed to like it somehow. I'm not about to measure all my cabinets to confirm or deny it. They look pretty nice as-is. Without the grills.

GlacierJohn
03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
I'll admit I love the look of stock Jubals, my second favorite JBL behind the L-300. BTW, how do I paste images or anything here? SpeakerDave, you make a good point, let the Jubals be what they are, any new cabinet would be a gamble.

Nobody else has a problem with their keyboard skipping letters, taking multiple hits of a letter or even the space key before it shows up on the screen? This is very frustrating, it takes forever to go back and fix. I'm on a nuber of other orums and don't ave thisprobem.

Ed Kreamer
03-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi John,

When you go to the reply page, you'll notice a black header bar on top that says Your Message.

Directly under that is the Title box.

Under that is a row of icons (?) the first one being A/A. Click the first A/A and it will turn blue. Do that and that should fix your problem, well the typing one any way.

Ed

GlacierJohn
03-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Thank you so much, I was looking for that A - AA button. Now everything is better.

Now I can paste to, here are my Jubals...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/GlacierJohn/IMG_5967.jpg (http://s123.photobucket.com/user/GlacierJohn/media/IMG_5967.jpg.html)

hjames
03-20-2015, 04:47 AM
VERY nice! I love all the light in that room!

Thank you so much, I was looking for that A - AA button. Now everything is better.

Now I can paste to, here are my Jubals...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o320/GlacierJohn/IMG_5967.jpg (http://s123.photobucket.com/user/GlacierJohn/media/IMG_5967.jpg.html)

svollmer
03-20-2015, 05:51 AM
Nobody else has a problem with their keyboard skipping letters, taking multiple hits of a letter or even the space key before it shows up on the screen? This is very frustrating, it takes forever to go back and fix. I'm on a nuber of other orums and don't ave thisprobem.

I have the same problem, but only at work. My Mac at home and my iPad let me type as fast as I can.

I'll have to try toggling the A/A key 1audiohack suggested when I go to the office.

GlacierJohn
03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
I have the same problem, but only at work. My Mac at home and my iPad let me type as fast as I can.

I'll have to try toggling the A/A key 1audiohack suggested when I go to the office.

That fix worked. I was looking in the wrong spot for the A - AA button.

GlacierJohn
03-20-2015, 09:07 AM
VERY nice! I love all the light in that room!

It was way too backlit with snow covered yard out the walkout basement window. I have drawn the blinds, you can see how washed out my red canoe is through the right window.

hsosdrum
03-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Up on the top left corner of the screen I am replying on is a button that has an A/A in it. Toggling this on meaning that it turns blue takes all the letter skipping problems away for me anyway.

In the off mode I can even out type it on my Iphone.

Try that.

All the best and welcome to Lansing.

Barry.

Thanks for the fix, audiohack! I was having the same letter skipping issue, which made typing forum posts a truly frustrating experience. The A/A button fixes it.