PDA

View Full Version : L 100S recap and refoam

tnmallen
03-09-2015, 06:50 AM
I am trying to help my brother recap and refoam his pair of L100s'. He bought them new while stationed in Okinawa. I was happy to find this site. I figured out that they are military versions of the L100T3. There seem to be many refoaming options. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. My main problem is finding all of the caps. I feel like I am missing something. I am surprised parts express doesn't have everything. I can find the right uf on mouser, but the wrong style. From the NL100T3 schematic I need help locating 44uf, 14uf and .4uf. Can someone help me out? Thanks, Murray

hjames
03-09-2015, 06:59 AM
I am trying to help my brother recap and refoam his pair of L100s'. He bought them new while stationed in Okinawa. I was happy to find this site. I figured out that they are military versions of the L100T3. There seem to be many refoaming options. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. My main problem is finding all of the caps. I feel like I am missing something. I am surprised parts express doesn't have everything. I can find the right uf on mouser, but the wrong style. From the NL100T3 schematic I need help locating 44uf, 14uf and .4uf. Can someone help me out? Thanks, Murray

I've done a couple pairs of the 2214 drivers used in L100T and T3 with kits from Rick Cobb
[email protected]

I and other folks on the forum here have had great luck with his kits - he includes a test tone CD so
you don't need to cut the center domes off to align the cones.

I just got a set of 4 from him so I can redo the UREI 12s woofers I got recently -
One pair is shreded now, and the other pair will no doubt need them at some point (its inevitable)

tnmallen
03-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Wow that was fast. I have seen you around and I thought I might hear from you. Cool! I see lots of discussion about recapping, but I can't locate the parts. Do you have anything on that? Am I supposed to use caps that are close enough?

hjames
03-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Wow that was fast. I have seen you around and I thought I might hear from you. Cool! I see lots of discussion about recapping, but I can't locate the parts. Do you have anything on that? Am I supposed to use caps that are close enough?

Mine were both L100T, and one of the guys here was doing upgrades to the T3 design,
so both times I sent him mine and he redid them and sent them back redone.
I'm not sure he is on the site anymore or I'd offer his name -
folks change jobs and get busy with life,
things happen and they aren't here like they used to be ...

Last recap I did was a pair of KEF speakers, and I got the parts from a UK firm that specialized in their systems ...

tnmallen
03-09-2015, 12:25 PM
I guess I can put some in paralell. It dawned on me that jbl could obviously get custom parts (duh!) and I will have to improvise with off the shelf. Thanks for the refoam tip.

svollmer
03-10-2015, 03:58 AM
I guess I can put some in paralell. It dawned on me that jbl could obviously get custom parts (duh!) and I will have to improvise with off the shelf. Thanks for the refoam tip.

FWIW, I second the recommendation of using Rick Cobb. I've used a bunch of his kits (got two more a few days ago) and can verify that they've all been perfect.

BMWCCA
03-10-2015, 05:57 AM
Another recommendation for Rick Cobb from me. Further, I'd suggest doing the re-surround and just playing them. JBL in general uses good components in their networks that don't seem to suffer from age as much as other manufacturers. My L112s are playing just fine with the same networks I bought them with over 30-years ago.

If you think you're hearing a problem, you can always go after the network later. Many on other forums seem to re-cap anything and always make claims of improvement. Ears are funny and any change might be taken as an improvement by wishful thinking. Even a change in volume can make us think we've made something better. I really doubt you'll have an issue with the L100S once you get the surrounds done. I'd put the money into a re-veneering the vinyl with wood before I'd spend it on caps. :dont-know:

hjames
03-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Following along with BMWCCA's comments.
I had original L100T speakers. I had my crossovers rebuilt into L100T3 crossovers for the improved sound of the later design.
Since the L100S model already HAS the L100T3 design crossover, there isn't anything to do - you already have the newer design!

tnmallen
03-10-2015, 02:53 PM
I like the veneer idea, but my brother and his jbl's are in NH. He has isolated one speaker is crackling. So I figure caps are a good place to start. He is going to remove them and send them to me. I am not going to mess with the design. He wants to keep these forever and I want to help him do that. Thanks. I am glad I found this great forum.

hjames
03-10-2015, 03:48 PM
I like the veneer idea, but my brother and his jbl's are in NH.
He has isolated one speaker is crackling. So I figure caps are a good place to start. He is going to remove them and send them to me.
I am not going to mess with the design. He wants to keep these forever and I want to help him do that.
Thanks. I am glad I found this great forum.

Generally, 2 things happen with the L100T/S speakers
The foam surrounds break down on the woofers - no biggie.
Someone blows a tweeter. So, you find a replacement used one and replace it.

"One speaker is crackling" - you can use a paper towel against your ear to isolate the sound,
move the other end from driver to drive and pin down which driver is acting up.
A crackling speaker is probably not a faulty crossover - what happens to crossovers is caps age
and the values drift so the circuit does not work the same and they don't sound quite as smooth as they should.
That usually doesn't show up as a "crackling" kind of a sound.

tnmallen
03-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Looks like we have more diagnosis to do. If it ends up being a tweeter what is the best way to go? Thanks

BMWCCA
03-10-2015, 08:54 PM
- you can use a paper towel against your ear to isolate the sound,
move the other end from driver to drive and pin down which driver is acting up.

What Heather meant to type was "paper towel tube".

Tell your brother to be very careful removing the wires from the tweeter terminals and not to bend the terminals even slightly or you'll end up with an open circuit to the diaphragm.

tnmallen
03-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Yah, I didn't notice she didn't say tube. I was even thinking a tone generator app sending a signal in the middle of the crossover to isolate the drivers. And I appreciate the heads up on the tweeter. I have seen 052's, 035 clones and soft and hard dome replacements. What is recommended? Any repairs? What about the 104h2? Any replacements or repairs?

sonofagun
03-13-2015, 05:43 AM
Does this Rick Cobb have a website?

hjames
03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Does this Rick Cobb have a website?

"This Rick Cobb" doesn't seem to have a website URL -
lots of the Lansing forum folks have contacted him either via an ebay ad
or directly via email: Rick Cobb - [email protected]

They've been talking about him here for years -
I've gotten at least 8 kits from him over the years,
and the quality has always been consistent.

I'm pretty sure I got his info from Bo about 7 or 8 years back,
but I'm sure others can provide feedback if you need some ...

svollmer
03-13-2015, 11:49 AM
"This Rick Cobb" doesn't seem to have a website URL -
lots of the Lansing forum folks have contacted him either via an ebay ad
or directly via email: Rick Cobb - [email protected]

They've been talking about him here for years -
I've gotten at least 8 kits from him over the years,
and the quality has always been consistent.

I'm pretty sure I got his info from Bo about 7 or 8 years back,
but I'm sure others can provide feedback if you need some ...

Rick goes by looneytune2001 on ebay. He has over 12,000 feedback with a 100% satisfaction rating. I've purchased around 12-15 kits from him and they've all been perfect. Highly recommended! As was stated earlier, he provides a test tone CD with each kit so you don't have to remove the dust cap, shim the voice coil, and glue a new cap back on. One could also use a tone generator centered around 30-40 Hz to do the same thing

badman
03-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Rick goes by looneytune2001 on ebay. He has over 12,000 feedback with a 100% satisfaction rating. I've purchased around 12-15 kits from him and they've all been perfect. Highly recommended! As was stated earlier, he provides a test tone CD with each kit so you don't have to remove the dust cap, shim the voice coil, and glue a new cap back on. One could also use a tone generator centered around 30-40 Hz to do the same thing

Yup- I've been very happy with what he's provided.

Chris Brown
03-13-2015, 06:36 PM
One other thing you might double-check is to make sure that the spider is still properly glued to the frame. I refoamed my L100T speakers recently and noticed that the spider was starting to peel up. It's possible that I just pushed them too hard, but I'm not really sure.

http://gotnorice.com/spiderzoomsmall.jpg (http://gotnorice.com/spiderzoom.jpg)