PDA

View Full Version : Ashly XR-1001 : how adjust the volume level?

Mikhail
03-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Thanks to the forum!
I bought and received and connected my Ashly XR-1001.
Plugged in biamping 4343, high and mid to ltube amplifier, low to the transistor in class "A".
This is a practical question: how adjust the volume level? Who and how adjusts the volume level low and high frequencies? What method? At the hearing? Or like that?

BMWCCA
03-08-2015, 08:17 PM
This is a practical question: how adjust the volume level? Who and how adjusts the volume level low and high frequencies? What method? At the hearing? Or like that?

I'll give it a try: Set the input level controls on both Ashly channels to unity (0). Use the output level controls on the Ashly to balance low-frequency with high-frequency if you don't have input attenuators (volume control if you must) on your amps. It helps to have a signal generator and a decibel meter to set the levels equally but your ears will work fine, too. My Crown amps have input attenuators but the amps are the same type other than power output so I simply set them the same. I run them both about half-way open which means my pre-amp volume control is about mid-range at normal listening levels. :dont-know:

Mikhail
03-08-2015, 08:40 PM
I'll give it a try: Set the input level controls on both Ashly channels to unity (0). Use the output level controls on the Ashly to balance low-frequency with high-frequency if you don't have input attenuators (volume control if you must) on your amps. It helps to have a signal generator and a decibel meter to set the levels equally but your ears will work fine, too. My Crown amps have input attenuators but the amps are the same type other than power output so I simply set them the same. I run them both about half-way open which means my pre-amp volume control is about mid-range at normal listening levels. :dont-know:
In this part yet understand, but as the ratio of the signal level high and low, how to configure them? Only at the hearing?
After all, the bass level can be increased strongly, but where is the norm? Again, just hearing?

martin2395
03-09-2015, 04:54 AM
Mikhail,

Different rooms will respond differently so your results may vary. Also you will have gain difference between the Crown and the tube monoblocks.

I'd say give it a try and choose what suits you best, maybe the best way is to set the Ashly at 'neutral' for all outputs and use the gain controls on the Crown.

BMWCCA
03-09-2015, 08:18 PM
In this part yet understand, but as the ratio of the signal level high and low, how to configure them? Only at the hearing?
After all, the bass level can be increased strongly, but where is the norm? Again, just hearing?
Tone generator and dB meter. Simple tools but they'll get you a rough balance. Otherwise just do what sounds good.

Mikhail
03-10-2015, 03:38 AM
Thank you all! I got it! There is no universal answer. I'll take my ears in hand :D and will learn to listen and to compare and choose.

Mr. Widget
03-10-2015, 08:46 AM
Thank you all! I got it! There is no universal answer. I'll take my ears in hand :D and will learn to listen and to compare and choose.Yep, and it can take days to dial it in... play a wide variety of music. When every type sounds as good as it can you are there. If you dial it in for only one type of music, other types may not sound very good. Also, once you get pretty close try fine tuning with the "response" knob. This massages the frequency response at the crossover region.

Good Luck! —and have fun!

Widget