PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this JBL driver

JasonKingsland
03-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Hey guys,
I've been trying to figure out what model of JBL speaker the below is. Disregard any of the weird concentric stuff. That's some aftermarket stuff. However, the basic driver is still a JBL, it looks like a LE10h-1 but the binding posts are wrong. Can anyone help? I'm trying to find a recone kit.

Thanks a million!
Jason

rdgrimes
03-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Doesn't really look like an LE10H-1 cone or surround.

JasonKingsland
03-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Hey there! Thanks for the reply. I'm not an expert in JBL stuff, just basing it off of other pictures I can find. I.E : www.speakerrepair.com/repairpicshtml/jbl-le10.html

Thanks!
Jason

grumpy
03-08-2015, 03:32 PM
It does look like a JBL 10" frame with newer style terminals.
what, if anything, is between the cone inner diameter and the
housing that's presumably for a tweeter?

JasonKingsland
03-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Hey Grumpy,Thanks for the reply. Here's a picture of the woofer with the tweeter housing removed. As you had mentioned, there's nothing in it. There are some part numbers on the speakers but nothing I've been able to cross reference on the internet. Sadly harman has been little help. Thanks!Jason

martin2395
03-09-2015, 12:37 AM
The basket could be a 2123 one.

Maybe some company or just an experienced DIY'er tried to create an L10C :)

hjames
03-09-2015, 05:51 AM
Looks like a heavily customized 10 inch woofer.
With that black gunk glued to the cone I'd say a recone is in order to get rid of that stiff.
So the questions would be - what do you want it to be after the rebuild?

Hey guys,
I've been trying to figure out what model of JBL speaker the below is. Disregard any of the weird concentric stuff. That's some aftermarket stuff. However, the basic driver is still a JBL, it looks like a LE10h-1 but the binding posts are wrong. Can anyone help? I'm trying to find a recone kit.

Thanks a million!
Jason

JasonKingsland
03-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Hey guys,
Thanks again for all the input. Believe it or not this is a commercially made product from I'm guessing the early 90s. It's a Wright branded WFM-III studio monitor. I've heard completed sets before and they actually sound excellent, but it was a one man company and the one man has long since died. So, I'm trying to restore them to the stock state which is our mystery JBL woofer and a concentric VIFA tweeter.

That said, the frame does look like a 2123, but clearly the the woofer is different. As I mentioned above, there are what appears to be part numbers on some stickers. There's a J977-23892 on the magnet of one, and J1022-020084 on the cone of another. I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Again, thanks a million guys!

Jason

tomee
03-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Looks like an LE10h-1 cone to me - same cone texture as my pair but that thing in the middle really messes it up. Was that felt or cloth glued to the cone and the central cylinder thingy? What was the tweeter, and do you have the crossover for it?? Very cool idea - LE14C-ish in a way. (hmmm, there are modern neodymium tweeters that would fit right into that vent hole...time to stop thinking...)

More pictures please?