PDA

View Full Version : L166 value

GUIBEY20
02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
I have two pairs of L166 that I took out of storage, and was looking to sell one pair, but I have no idea of their value. I cant seem to find anything on the internet about them. Can anyone here help. Thanks So I have recieved some advise from Seawolf97 on L166 values. Thank you. I will be selling a pair of these speakers which are in mint cond and have been reconed. They have been in a climate controlled environment all their life. I also have the original owners manuals for them. looking for a good home for them. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me on my personal e mail. [email protected]. I hope this follows this site protocol.

SEAWOLF97
02-28-2015, 11:22 AM
I have two pairs of L166 that I took out of storage, and was looking to sell one pair, but I have no idea of their value. I cant seem to find anything on the internet about them. Can anyone here help. Thanks

in nice condition , needing NO work .... they sell in the $400-500 range.
funny, as they are better than L100's, which often sell for more . :dont-know:

value also depends on your location , unless you want to ship. I don't know the local market in ID.

your PM provided a little more on condition, you should put that in your post.

start at 600 ?

jackiegeorge
03-09-2015, 05:32 AM
i paid $40.00 for my pair of l166 refoamed the woofers. and i would not sell them for less than $600.00 i love the speakers.

Audiobeer
03-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Condition is everything. If the dome tweeters are pushed in that takes away from the value. Is the the surrounds rotted? Give them a slight pinch. If they are they will crumble.

Krunchy
03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
in nice condition , needing NO work .... they sell in the $400-500 range.
funny, as they are better than L100's, which often sell for more . :dont-know:

value also depends on your location , unless you want to ship. I don't know the local market in ID.

your PM provided a little more on condition, you should put that in your post.

start at 600 ?

Thats a respectable starting point for those, they really are great speakers, I wouldnt sell mine either :)

JBL 166 Horizon
02-06-2016, 11:55 PM
It's love. Love for your speakers. If you are willing to sell them, what would YOU want for them. Some things you can't put a value on. It's only worth what one is willing to spend on it. ;)

I wouldn't sell my pair. Bought new in 1977 in Spain at the BX (Branch Exchange).

BMWCCA
02-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Re-coned, or re-surrounded? It matters a lot when you're selling. Provenance of the cones/repairs can make a big difference in value. Be sure to mention it in your ad.

My advice, which I've followed for decades, is to never sell any speaker!
I do have a few systems out "on loan" to friends but that just makes me better able to rationalize how many I own. I figure anything intelligently purchased with the JBL name on it at least won't devalue as much as stocks over the past year. Not so much an investment but at least a safe place to stash small amounts of cash that still bring me enjoyment and something with which I can play. Sure beats a savings account. I'll let my survivors deal with the value after I'm gone.

JBL 166 Horizon
03-28-2018, 10:01 PM
My advice, which I've followed for decades, is to never sell any speaker!

What if you can't find drivers or cross-over networks for them anymore?

BMWCCA
03-29-2018, 03:46 AM
What if you can't find drivers or cross-over networks for them anymore?
There are professionals here on this forum who can generally repair/recone/resurround any JBL driver to as-original condition and re-capping crossovers is very over-rated, in my opinion. This is, of course, assuming you have all the drivers and crossovers otherwise why would you have kept the speakers in the first place? Sometimes buying a pair of vintage JBLs just as a supply of parts for the speakers you use is less expensive than buying parts when you need them. I just never seem to be able to part-out a perfectly good pair of JBLs!

JBL 166 Horizon
05-18-2018, 08:08 PM
There are professionals here on this forum who can generally repair/recone/resurround any JBL driver to as-original condition and re-capping crossovers is very over-rated, in my opinion. This is, of course, assuming you have all the drivers and crossovers otherwise why would you have kept the speakers in the first place? Sometimes buying a pair of vintage JBLs just as a supply of parts for the speakers you use is less expensive than buying parts when you need them. I just never seem to be able to part-out a perfectly good pair of JBLs!

I'm looking at selling these speakers.

BMWCCA
05-18-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm looking at selling these speakers.

Now I'm confused!
It's love. Love for your speakers. If you are willing to sell them, what would YOU want for them. Some things you can't put a value on. It's only worth what one is willing to spend on it. ;)

I wouldn't sell my pair. Bought new in 1977 in Spain at the BX (Branch Exchange).I guess everything changes in time.

You might want to let us know where you are located.

Jmattiii
04-01-2019, 02:18 PM
I have a set of L166 Horizon speakers that I purchased as part of a system about 8 years ago. They were never played and were in sealed boxes. I carefully unpacked them to check them out and repacked them as received. They are mint to say the least. They came with a Technics SA800 125 watt receiver, Benjamin Miracord turntable and a Pioneer RG-1 Dynamic Processor also never utilized and in sealed original boxes as well. I bought them from a guy whose father had bought two complete systems through the PX while in the military and used one while storing the other.

What would be a realistic value for the speakers or the whole turnkey setup? The turntable was never assembled and comes with a cartridge setup (I think I remember a M91e or a V15 Shure, I would have to check?)

This system is as if you went back in time and bought it in 1975.

SEAWOLF97
04-01-2019, 03:02 PM
They were never played and were in sealed boxes.

Well, the surrounds certainly need replacing, doesn't matter if ever played. Under $100 to get a pro to do it. Make sure the foams are mounted to the rear side of cones, or that done wrong can hurt value to a collector.

Without pics and only using your descriptions, it seems like at auction the whole system COULD fetch $1200-1800 :dont-know:

If red grilles, add another 100. That TT has negligible value. A V-15 increases it.

Jmattiii
04-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Well, the surrounds certainly need replacing, doesn't matter if ever played. Under $100 to get a pro to do it. Make sure the foams are mounted to the rear side of cones, or that done wrong can hurt value to a collector.

Without pics and only using your descriptions, it seems like at auction the whole system COULD fetch $1200-1800 :dont-know:

If red grilles, add another 100. That TT has negligible value. A V-15 increases it.

Thank you for your response. You would consider the surrounds to be suspect due to age most importantly? If they seem pliable, what if they were fired up?

SEAWOLF97
04-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Thank you for your response. You would consider the surrounds to be suspect due to age most importantly? If they seem pliable, what if they were fired up?

12-15 years is the lifetime of JBL original foams

would most likely crumble if fired up.

the version ... L166, 166A also has a slight effect on value.