PDA

View Full Version : Need Help ID'ing some early JBL speakers...look similar to C38

bhuskins
02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
I picked up these early JBL speakers, but I'm not sure what model they are. Cabinets are similar to C38 type but the front edge is more like a beveled picture frame instead of what I'm used to seeing on C38. Any help identifying these beauties would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what each cabinet has in them:

LX5 Crossover
LE15A 15" Woofer (Blue Version)
LE85 Horns

The cabinets are internally braced. The bottom is skirted and wheels are hidden underneath.

Any clues? Custom built? All help is appreciated.

Horn Fanatic
02-24-2015, 12:30 PM
I picked up these early JBL speakers, but I'm not sure what model they are. Cabinets are similar to C38 type but the front edge is more like a beveled picture frame instead of what I'm used to seeing on C38. Any help identifying these beauties would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what each cabinet has in them:

LX5 Crossover
LE15A 15" Woofer (Blue Version)
LE85 Horns

The cabinets are internally braced. The bottom is skirted and wheels are hidden underneath.

Any clues? Custom built? All help is appreciated.

Most likely home built. The corner joints are definitely not JBL. A pro shop wouldn't have left a visible knot hole, however, they look well constructed. You have the makings for a JBL studio monitor should you decide to put the components in a real JBL enclosure, perhaps even add a 2405 and go 3-way.

bhuskins
02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Here's a couple internal pictures as well showing the bracing.

bhuskins
02-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Also the Horn is 1217-1290 and the compression driver is the LE85

Also, all of the drivers were bolt mounted. The baffle board was definitely well built with precision.

Horn Fanatic
02-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Here's a couple internal pictures as well showing the bracing.

Without a doubt, the enclosures are home brew. The hardware was provided with the components. I recommend that you find a suitable empty JBL enclosure on Ebay a cubic foot or two larger. Without a doubt, the enclosures are home brew. The hardware was provided with the components. I recommend that you find a suitable empty JBL enclosure on Ebay a cubic foot or two larger.

That you have the 1217-1290 horn lens, I'm thinking the original owner of the enclosures ordered the components specifically. The potato masher lens was usually coupled to the 175 driver, which was designated the LE175DLH. There were very few systems that offered the conical horn lens option, but none with the LE85 come to mind.

Mr. Widget
02-25-2015, 09:22 AM
That you have the 1217-1290 horn lens, I'm thinking the original owner of the enclosures ordered the components specifically. The potato masher lens was usually coupled to the 175 driver, which was designated the LE175DLH. There were very few systems that offered the conical horn lens option, but none with the LE85 come to mind.I have seen this combo a few times with the blue paint scheme... may have been a popular option during the early '60s when they were using the blue paint for the LE series.

I agree on the home made cabs.

To bhuskins: If you plan on keeping these to enjoy, you should do some research on Lans-a-loy surround material... not going to go into it again here. I'd look at 5 cu ft cabs with 30Hz tuned ports. I would also look into new horns and crossovers. (I personally am not fond of the potato mashers or those older networks... the design, not so much the aged caps etc.)

Widget