PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Can identify this JBL vintage tower speaker ?

meajithks
02-24-2015, 06:38 AM

i was using this speaker for last three years.. model number of the product has not been printed in it.. hence, i need to get further details about the same... please do help...

4 Way 10" JBL Tower Speakers.. Made In denmark

BMWCCA
02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Look like drivers from the CF series but I'm not familiar with it. Two tweeters? Really?

Is there nothing on the back or the input cup?

rdgrimes
02-24-2015, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't call them "vintage". They look like one of the many consumer based models made for electronics stores in the 80's and 90's. Open one up and look for a part number on the crossover. Those part numbers are specific to each model.

meajithks
08-02-2015, 03:00 AM
I wouldn't call them "vintage". They look like one of the many consumer based models made for electronics stores in the 80's and 90's. Open one up and look for a part number on the crossover. Those part numbers are specific to each model.

Net Work ID - LV B2

10' Speaker Id - 8 Ohms - 5810103 - 137 733 - 80A208 Made In Denmark

Mid Range Id - 9608 4''

Tweeter Id - 9607

macaroonie
08-02-2015, 03:19 AM
I think I would look into Jamo products , they made branded JBL products for the european market in the 80/90's

Maron Horonzakz
08-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Boy !!! What cheap crap..!!

BMWCCA
08-02-2015, 07:53 AM
What if they're not JBL at all?
I'm wondering if they're not components made in India (or China) and simply stamped "JBL made in Denmark" and then badged with JBL on the cabinets. Weren't Danish JBLs (L90, DD66000 etc) usually just cabinets made locally by Hornslet and others with US/Mexican sourced real JBL drivers?

Never seen anything like that from JBL but I've seen plenty of CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) branded with name-brands or similar sounding names. Wouldn't be much of a stretch to have counterfeit JBL speakers. Lord knows how many fake "Rolex" watches there are being sold right now!

SEAWOLF97
08-02-2015, 10:49 AM
the foilcal looks rather crude, as do the drivers. and this is in India ?

my guess ...somebody's first attempt at a replica/ripoff, a "repackaged" something else.
sell it to those Microsoft employees that keep calling to tell me that I have a computer
problem that they can fix ... just wire some funds. The new Nigeria.

Maybe some of the codes match up ?

http://www.thespeakershop.com/speakerrepair/eiacodes.html

http://www.recycledsound.net/8_Speaker_EIA_codes.pdf

http://www.audiophool.com/Misc/EIAcodes1961.pdf

Odd
08-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Label on JBL made in Denmark looked like this.

meajithks
08-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Any way gods know its real or fake.. they are smooth and high-quality sound... :)

Odd
08-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Good to hear.

The most important is that you like them.

Aaron
08-02-2015, 04:19 PM
I found this thread:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33536-JBL-cabinets-modeLD-200

kaz
08-06-2015, 08:35 AM
I think I'm going to have to agree with BMWCCA and Seawolf97.
I question the 'genuine-ness' of this product.
Thank you for including the photos.
I sold/worked in a shop offering JBL product in the mid-late 70's, and again in the 90s through 2005.
Very well acquainted with the various 'L Series' product and much of the JBL consumer line products of those eras.
I leave the grand monitor comments to the fine experts here, they are a wealth of information and a glorious resource. I value their knowledge and experience.
The cabinetry, the trim, the drivers themselves, all resemble a generic 'house speaker' that was produced and sold in the 90's. Under various nameplates. I am not at all familiar with the european marketplace, so I will comment only on the American market. The full-width double port is definitely something I have seen, on maybe mid-late 90s 'rack systems', the all-the-electronics-and-the-speakers-for-one-price combinations. Surround sound made it difficult for those packages to continue, as did the decline of analog...let me rephrase, the rise of digital. To me, and many others, quality analog has never gone away. The package system has reinvented itself as small, ready-to-connect-to-your-display digital sound solution. Okay. As the rack systems disappeared from the sales floor, the 'tower speakers' themselves could be found, sold as separate entities, at some retailers. Under various names. An effort to sell-through surplus product.
The double tweeter has me scratching my head, if one is good... then certainly two HAS to be better?
I am wondering if there isn't something out there somewhere that has something ELSE in that second opening, or if that second hole wasn't ever cut, and there is a single tweeter version out there somewhere.
Surprisingly, the grill seems to have the feel of a 90s JBL consumer/value line grill.
The rubber stamp ID-ing on the drivers themselves seems, in a word, careless.
The tag, the sticker, is the giveaway. The cabinet is not 'badged' as JBL had typically done it. More typically, it was a plate, a 'foilcal', or molded plastic logo (at this level), with certainly a companion label on the rear of the speaker, near or part of the connector panel, bearing the serial number. Even the label's design, and font choice, is atypical. And the country of origin would be a subtle entry on the REAR ID tag. This product has none.
All this being said, you say you enjoy the sound of your speakers.
That is all that matters.
Take a moment today and listen!

BMWCCA
08-06-2015, 05:58 PM
I found this thread:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33536-JBL-cabinets-modeLD-200
That's nice but the original speakers in this post were not the LD-200. That label was just to show what a real Made-in-Denmark JBL label would look like!

SEAWOLF97
08-06-2015, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=kaz;378601
Surprisingly, the grill seems to have the feel of a 90s JBL consumer/value line grill.
The rubber stamp ID-ing on the drivers themselves seems, in a word, careless.[/QUOTE]

yes, I noticed that the grilles have structure like the L7's.
that careless green stamping on the drivers rears reminds me of
some UK bookshelves from the 1990's (can't recall the brand)

oh..I remembered ... MONITOR AUDIO

Aaron
08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
That's nice but the original speakers in this post were not the LD-200. That label was just to show what a real Made-in-Denmark JBL label would look like!

I guess I was thinking one European system might share drivers with another and we could use that thread as sort of a reference...anecdotal to be sure. :o: