PDA

View Full Version : JBL Everests in VPI listening room

DavidF
02-08-2015, 07:52 PM
In a sidebar interview in the most recent The Absolute Sound (March 2015 Issue 251) the founder of VPI, Harry Weisfeld, mentions that they use Everests in their listening room. They are mentioned related to the low feedback level of the firm's Classic Direct Drive turntable. Harry mentions that they had the "Classic Direct sitting between two JBL Everests with four 15" woofers and the feedback level is near zero!"

Dial it up!!

LowPhreak
02-10-2015, 02:27 PM
VPI has always been one of my fave TT makers. :)

DavidF
02-10-2015, 02:53 PM
VPI has always been one of my fave TT makers. :)

A truly family operated (and oriented?) business, I understand. Good products. Don't just cater to the top end of audio. I can see why they could be a favorite.

LowPhreak
02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
They had great customer service when Harry was around. Haven't dealt with them since I upgraded a HW-19 MkIII to MkIV with the big platter and PLC. Then I replaced the stock spring suspension with sorbothane pucks, and with the Well Tempered arm it was the best 'table I'd heard near its price.

If I wanted to get back into vinyl for anything near reasonable cost, I'd get the Traveler, but then I'd really want some version of the Classic (or perhaps a Michell Gyro at that price range). :crying:

migman
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
I have a Scoutmaster 2 with a Classic arm that I use with my JBL S3900 speakers and I have stopped looking for a turntable upgrade. A truly excellent value.

Dave_72
02-12-2015, 03:10 PM
I have a Scoutmaster 2 with a Classic arm that I use with my JBL S3900 speakers and I have stopped looking for a turntable upgrade. A truly excellent value.

How are those S3900s treating you? :)

LowPhreak
02-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Yeah, that's another one. :thmbsup: You can't really go wrong with a VPI.

Speaking of this:

"Harry mentions that they had the "Classic Direct sitting between two JBL Everests with four 15" woofers and the feedback level is near zero!"

After I got those springs outta there (gawd how I hated them!), I could play a full drum kit in the same room, with Nautilus 803's and a REL Stentor III going full tilt and never had a feedback problem. OK, it probably wasn't just the 'table - the mounting platform and bearing-less tonearm surely helped, but it was solid.