PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a dbx 481 DriveRack? Let me explain .........

cgregory4
02-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Guys and Gals,

I've accumulated an incredible assortment of project-related JBL stuff: drivers, speaker systems, crossovers, cabinets, etc.

Plus a bunch of non-JBL stuff to augment my insanity: Luxman active F-5 crossovers and Dahlquist low-frequency dividers. Plus, one gentleman on the forum will build me some passives to try, if I can stay healthy long enough to get him the parts! :applaud:

Somewhere in this madness cycle (Three years ago I owned no ... zero ... zilch ... nada ... JBL gear. :o:) I purchased a 481 Driverack. Every time I look at it, I recoil in fear. It has 3 (to the 223rd power) options -- I think. Per channel!

I am intimidated. If I sell it. And, if I live another few years to get some of these projects finished, will I regret not having it to play with? Personally, I can't imagine why ............ but, then again I can't imagine why I've purchased fifty separate JBL drivers in the last 12 months!

Thanks everyone, for any light you can shed on this. I'm on the 'culling' cycle now, but I don't want to 'throw out the baby with the bathwater'.

Grumpy -- Just your usual 5 word response will be fine -- and much appreciated! :)

Greg

grumpy
02-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Steep learning curve, 10yr old digital tech, complicated multi-amp setup,
decision re input vs output attenuation, measurement system and experience
required... may have issues with Windows support at some point (unknown).

Tough to argue as a keeper for SOTA performance, but could still be the basis
for a great sounding system. So ... depends on your goals and interest.

last six words anyway :)

cgregory4
02-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Steep learning curve, 10yr old digital tech, complicated multi-amp setup,
decision re input vs output attenuation, measurement system and experience
required... may have issues with Windows support at some point (unknown).

Tough to argue as a keeper for SOTA performance, but could still be the basis
for a great sounding system. So ... depends on your goals and interest.

last six words anyway :)

That's all I needed, Dude. :D

Out it goes. I'll try to find someone who is smart enough to use it, and will give it a good home.

Greg