PDA

View Full Version : Repairing 2404H

Eric M.
02-05-2015, 09:28 AM
I purchases a pair of 2404H for a not-so-honest e-bay seller, one does not work. How difficult is it to replace the diaphragm? Is this like reconing and should be done by someone with experience? What are my options parts? Can I get originals?

On a side note, I am new here and keeping seeing references to "Tent Sale" and JBL not having any old stock for our speakers? Anyone have a link that explains what this is all about?

Thanks,
Eric M.

JeffW
02-05-2015, 09:43 AM
I purchases a pair of 2404H for a not-so-honest e-bay seller, one does not work. How difficult is it to replace the diaphragm? Is this like reconing and should be done by someone with experience? What are my options parts? Can I get originals?

On a side note, I am new here and keeping seeing references to "Tent Sale" and JBL not having any old stock for our speakers? Anyone have a link that explains what this is all about?

Thanks,
Eric M.

I don't think JBL has had a tent sale in years. They don't have parts for many of the old systems/drivers, but they were still making the D16R2405 diaphragms for the 2404H fairly recently. The quality of the voice coils was a little sketchy on some of the first examples since the move from California, but none of the aftermarket diaphragms seem to be worth buying, either. I don't know if more recent JBL diaphragms have improved, but they are out there at nearly $200/ea.

Replacing them can be a bit tricky, they have to be carefully centered to sound right and improperly tightening the phase plug can warp them.

Eric M.
02-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Wow! $200. I can buy another pair on e-Bay .... hopefully from a more honest seller. But that raises the question, how would you know if the unit you are purchasing doesn't already have an aftermarket diaphragm?

Thanks,

Eric M.

I don't think JBL has had a tent sale in years. They don't have parts for many of the old systems/drivers, but they were still making the D16R2405 diaphragms for the 2404H fairly recently. The quality of the voice coils was a little sketchy on some of the first examples since the move from California, but none of the aftermarket diaphragms seem to be worth buying, either. I don't know if more recent JBL diaphragms have improved, but they are out there at nearly $200/ea.

Replacing them can be a bit tricky, they have to be carefully centered to sound right and improperly tightening the phase plug can warp them.

JeffW
02-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Wow! $200. I can buy another pair on e-Bay .... hopefully from a more honest seller. But that raises the question, how would you know if the unit you are purchasing doesn't already have an aftermarket diaphragm?

Thanks,

Eric M.

Or a JBL diaphragm that's been rode hard and put up wet. You don't. If you have the gear, you can measure the used driver's response and get a pretty decent idea if it's good or hosed.

I just assume any used driver I buy off eBay will need a new diaphragm and go from there. It will be expensive, you just have to decide if the expense is worth it to you. It's not to many, and they opt for the aftermarket parts.

Mr. Widget
02-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I just assume any used driver I buy off eBay will need a new diaphragm and go from there. It will be expensive...That's my method. There are some DIY folks who are bargain hunters and are less concerned about quality than getting what they consider a "good deal". To my mind cheap junk isn't really cheap... it's just junk.

When buying used drivers I would rather buy a clean looking blown driver that can be rebuilt than one that is likely no longer working within specs.

Widget