PDA

View Full Version : 803's

scottso
11-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Greetings from Meanhattan!
My searches have brought me here to this forum and I hope that someone here will have some ideas or opinions on how to proceed.

I have a pair of Bozak cabinets ( B-305URBAN's) with Atec 803B drivers, Steffans Trusonic Free Cone Speakers (80FR's) in Rogan Hi-fi cabinets, and Fane Compresion Drivers attached to 5x9 horns all being driven by a Crown Micro-Tech 1000.

So here are my questions. It looks like Andre Audio-Tronics on West 48th Street here in Mid-Town has gone the way of all the Earth...no addional information available for the phone number. Given that it looks like walking the speaker down the block for repairs is not going to be an option, does anyone have any ideas for a place to have this re-coned?

Next, is the speaker worth the repair?
I've got a second (spare) in the closet that I burned up some years back when I overdrove it with the Crown (I knew it was the weak link in those amps but it was a fun party!)

Thanks,
Scott Connor.

speakerdave
11-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello--Welcome to the Forum,

I'm not sure what you are saying needs to be reconed. The Stephens company is long gone. That 80FR is sometimes favored by folks looking for full range drivers, so it has some value if it still works. If that is burnt out I probably would not bother having it reconed with an aftermarket kit.

The Altec company in the form that made the 803 is also gone, but you may be able to get one reconed at Great Plains Audio or Orange County Speaker Repair. Google will find both.

David

Ian Mackenzie
11-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Greetings from Meanhattan!
My searches have brought me here to this forum and I hope that someone here will have some ideas or opinions on how to proceed.

I have a pair of Bozak cabinets ( B-305URBAN's) with Atec 803B drivers, Steffans Trusonic Free Cone Speakers (80FR's) in Rogan Hi-fi cabinets, and Fane Compresion Drivers attached to 5x9 horns all being driven by a Crown Micro-Tech 1000.

So here are my questions. It looks like Andre Audio-Tronics on West 48th Street here in Mid-Town has gone the way of all the Earth...no addional information available for the phone number. Given that it looks like walking the speaker down the block for repairs is not going to be an option, does anyone have any ideas for a place to have this re-coned?

Next, is the speaker worth the repair?
I've got a second (spare) in the closet that I burned up some years back when I overdrove it with the Crown (I knew it was the weak link in those amps but it was a fun party!)

Thanks,
Scott Connor.
Can you post a picture, we would all love to see your vintage speaker.

Also Rob3606 is not far from you and maybe able to assist.

Ian

GordonW
11-07-2004, 08:39 AM
Hello--Welcome to the Forum,

I'm not sure what you are saying needs to be reconed. The Stephens company is long gone. That 80FR is sometimes favored by folks looking for full range drivers, so it has some value if it still works. If that is burnt out I probably would not bother having it reconed with an aftermarket kit.

David

Why not? I've had good luck reconing some of those older drivers. For example, I reconed a pair of Goodmans Axiom 301 12" wide-range drivers, and they came out VERY well. No, it's not going to have the same "collector value"... but it's oftentimes possible to make a good sounding speaker, pretty true to the original tonality, out of it, again...

It's just a matter of if suitable parts are available... I'd definitely not throw away the unit until the options are explored...

Regards,
Gordon.

Robh3606
11-07-2004, 09:06 AM
"Can you post a picture, we would all love to see your vintage speaker.

Also Rob3606 is not far from you and maybe able to assist.

Ian"

I would like to see them too. Unfortunately I don't know of any local place that could do these. I recone using a place in Ohio. The local JBL guys I used to use and trusted are long gone. The new ones I called gave me a real BS line about the availability of cone kits and what to use so they are useless IMHO. You need someone like this:

"Why not? I've had good luck reconing some of those older drivers. For example, I reconed a pair of Goodmans Axiom 301 12" wide-range drivers, and they came out VERY well. No, it's not going to have the same "collector value"... but it's oftentimes possible to make a good sounding speaker, pretty true to the original tonality, out of it, again...

It's just a matter of if suitable parts are available... I'd definitely not throw away the unit until the options are explored...

Regards,
Gordon."

To get it done right.

Rob:)

speakerdave
11-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Why not?

Yep, it's like Robert says, few people have the skill, knowledge and dedication you bring to the table, Gordon, and if the poster took that frame to Average Recone Shop he would very likely get a driver of unknown parameter that he would have difficulty making a suitable enclosure for, and for the same money he would be better off buying something new from a maker who supplies information about cabinets for their drivers.

Maybe I should have explained better why I said what I said.

But now that the poster knows about you, perhaps there is reason for him to pursue restoration, if that is necessary and he is interested.

David