PDA

View Full Version : JBL L220 L222 Passive Raditor

jkolze
01-31-2015, 08:23 PM
I would like some help determining the weight for my passive radiator. I have a pair (new to me) of L222, Disco speakers. I've read most all the old posts, and what I gather is that the L222 had no discs and the L220 had three 20 oz discs. The only thing that I'm not certain about, is that this is for a LE14H, and I have LE14A or the Alinco magnet and not the larger more modern magnet. So with the older LE14A, would the weight on the passive radiator have been the same when JBL switched to the LE14H?

It should be relatively easy to do, but I wonder if anyone has done it, and if the change subtle or not. It would be very interesting to see the bass curves to see the difference between the two.

jkolze
02-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Here are some pictures I found, off sold listings. Mine have no discs. I think this is the difference between the Oracle and the Disco speakers. Hope the picture works. Looks like three discs. Not sure what they are made of.

Here is my sad story, I went out to buy a pair of Disco L222 and when I got there one was missing a tweeter.The seller really wanted me to take them so I paid $325 for them.I got the cones refoamed, and everything works, but I知 missing the tweeter.The speaker shop had a lead on a set, which I was prepared to pay the going rate $1,000 and then the seller changed his mind, and now I知 back to square one.I致e got an old tweeter on top of the cab and I really like them, but obviously I知 not enjoying their full potential.Once I知 set up and get used to them, I値l try putting some weights on the passive radiator and see just how big a difference it makes.If anybody has one or a set of tweeters they would like to pass on to someone who is trying to save a L222 rather that part it out please contact me.