PDA

View Full Version : Grill Color Options for JBL L112 Grill Cover and Cabinet Restoration

Stampants
01-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Hi. Got a JBL l112 in good condition but the grill cloth is dog eared and has some holes.I'm thinking of having a local builder fit it with new grill color cloth.Did some mockups using a random pic of the l112 I found floating in the net (if any of you own the pair in the picture I can credit you, just had a little photoshop fun; I don't own these speakers, but have the same exact model :-) )So just did some renders of how the cloth will look with some color on them.Any opinions?Or am I doing sacrilege hehehehe?From upper left to bottom right:1 = Original; 2 = Rust; 3 = Blue; 4 =White-ish; 5 = Orange; 6 = Black7 = Burgindy; 8 = Gray; 9 =CreamOther colorway suggestions are welcome. Ill try to do a mock up.Thanks for the opinions!http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r656/hearhead82/JBL-OPS_zps6ad5011b.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/hearhead82/media/JBL-OPS_zps6ad5011b.jpg.html)

gsb001
01-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Very clever. Great photo shop work.

I like the cream and navy blue.
SB

Stampants
01-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Very clever. Great photo shop work.

I like the cream and navy blue.
SB
Thanks

I personally like the blue and orange and rust. Come to think of it those are the original colors for the l100 hahahaha...

The attached picture on your reply; are they the origibal JBL vintage color options?

Is there a link to all the speaker colors jbl used til the 80s?

rdgrimes
01-29-2015, 03:12 PM
There were several colors made, with brown being the most common by far. The 1982 catalog doesn't mention any color options.

The Acoustimac Brown (http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric/)is an exact match for texture and color, but it only stretches in one direction. (the original fabric stretches in 2 directions)

gsb001
01-29-2015, 04:56 PM
From the site library. All the wood and fabric finishes and colors.
Pretty poor photos, and not a very good representation of the colors.
Stampants photos are better for making a selection decision.

My all time non-JBL favorite is the Advent Loudspeaker with tweed.
So east coast cool.
SB

gsb001
01-29-2015, 04:58 PM
With attachment.
SB

gsb001
01-29-2015, 05:00 PM
With attachment again.
SB

Stampants
01-29-2015, 07:50 PM
There were several colors made, with brown being the most common by far. The 1982 catalog doesn't mention any color options.

The Acoustimac Brown (http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric/)is an exact match for texture and color, but it only stretches in one direction. (the original fabric stretches in 2 directions)

That Acoustimac site is pretty neat!

Aside from this model of fabric, any more fabric on that site that would be used well for the L112s?

Its got so many color options! Ill do more mockups.

Thanks!

:)

Stampants
01-29-2015, 07:52 PM
With attachment again.
SB

Thanks for this! Planning to have the cabinets restored in due time also. Nice Wood Grain and color guide.

I also have the Original Large Advents and I think I was spoiled with how warm that sounded and Im really finding the L112s to be more alive compared to that "east coast" speaker sound.

I'm actually thinking of selling my OLA to fund an Ar2ax or another JBL if budget permits.

:-)

BMWCCA
01-29-2015, 08:03 PM
The Brown just looks "right" to me, but then I've owned a pair in Brown for over 30-years.

The "rust" looks very nice.

The Black looks . . . fantastic! But then Rick Reisen built my 4345 clones with the black baffle and black grilles that I fell in love with. So I'm not considering all the options with any degree of objectivity.
:cheers:

gsb001
01-29-2015, 08:34 PM
I'd love to see a pics with and with out grilles if you have one handy.

Speaking of Rick, here's a shot of my fabric selection with the just added maroon color of OEM fabric he sourced.
SB

Stampants
01-29-2015, 09:05 PM
I'd love to see a pics with and with out grilles if you have one handy.

Do you mean my L112s or the OLAs?

Speaking of Rick, here's a shot of my fabric selection with the just added maroon color of OEM fabric he sourced.
SB

Who's Rick? Sorry complete newb on this. Are you selling those fabrics?

Thanks!

Stampants
01-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Anybody got any more sources for fabric other than Acoustimass?

rdgrimes
01-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Important to note that the finish and fabric options available for L250 and L150A were not available for L112 (AFAIK). The JBL brochure seems to support that.

svollmer
01-30-2015, 03:17 AM
Thanks for this! Planning to have the cabinets restored in due time also. Nice Wood Grain and color guide.

I also have the Original Large Advents and I think I was spoiled with how warm that sounded and Im really finding the L112s to be more alive compared to that "east coast" speaker sound.

I'm actually thinking of selling my OLA to fund an Ar2ax or another JBL if budget permits.

:-)

I have a pair of AR2ax I've been thinking about selling. PM me if you are interested.

Stampants
01-30-2015, 07:06 AM
I have a pair of AR2ax I've been thinking about selling. PM me if you are interested.

Would love to but I'm in Southeast Asia.

Shipping will kill me!

Thanks for the offer though!

:D

svollmer
01-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Would love to but I'm in Southeast Asia.

Shipping will kill me!

Thanks for the offer though!

:D

Ouch! Yes, that would be cost prohibitive. Sorry; I hope you find a pair locally.

LowPhreak
01-30-2015, 03:31 PM
If I had my choice in grille colors, I've always thought a walnut finish looks best with brown or blue. Oak, cherry, rosewood, etc. would be other colors, of course.

gsb001
01-30-2015, 11:07 PM
I mean -
The Black looks . . . fantastic! But then Rick Reisen built my 4345 clones with the black baffle and black grilles that I fell in love with. So I'm not considering all the options with any degree of objectivity.

Rick is the Rick in KenRickSound.com, do a google search, JBL nervina, highly respected amongst the JBL communities.

Yes, I sell these fabrics. I also sell the complete L-112 grilles and I can ship to Asia no problem. My eBay store link is below.

I sell to LH members for 10% off and free shipping, if contacted directly.
SB

http://stores.ebay.com/huntleyaudio/

SEAWOLF97
01-31-2015, 09:56 AM
Hi. Got a JBL l112 in good condition but the grill cloth is dog eared and has some holes.I'm thinking of having a local builder fit it with new grill color cloth.Did some mockups using a random pic of the l112 I found floating in the net (if any of you own the pair in the picture I can credit you, just had a little photoshop fun; I don't own these speakers, but have the same exact model :-) )So just did some renders of how the cloth will look with some color on them.Any opinions?Or am I doing sacrilege hehehehe?From upper left to bottom right:1 = Original; 2 = Rust; 3 = Blue; 4 =White-ish; 5 = Orange; 6 = Black7 = Burgindy; 8 = Gray; 9 =CreamOther colorway suggestions are welcome. Ill try to do a mock up.Thanks for the opinions!http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r656/hearhead82/JBL-OPS_zps6ad5011b.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/hearhead82/media/JBL-OPS_zps6ad5011b.jpg.html)

from the photoshopped pix ....I kinda like the RUST or Orange

Have friend who redid his L250's in super dark blue (almost black) fabric and it looked great.

Stampants
01-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Googled Rick

Holy Mother of JBL!!! :eek:

Ebay store looks mighty fine and fabrics are awesome!

Thanks for the reply!

I mean -

Rick is the Rick in KenRickSound.com, do a google search, JBL nervina, highly respected amongst the JBL communities.

Yes, I sell these fabrics. I also sell the complete L-112 grilles and I can ship to Asia no problem. My eBay store link is below.

I sell to LH members for 10% off and free shipping, if contacted directly.
SB

http://stores.ebay.com/huntleyaudio/

Sablotny
08-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Looking at some L112's for sale sans grilles. Routing out flat grille frames from 1/4" ply would be easy enough, but how did the original grilles attach to the cabinets? I don't see pegs on the speakers for sale

rdgrimes
08-16-2016, 08:07 PM
Looking at some L112's for sale sans grilles. Routing out flat grille frames from 1/4" ply would be easy enough, but how did the original grilles attach to the cabinets? I don't see pegs on the speakers for sale

They use the standard grill pegs (4).