PDA

View Full Version : Identify Altec duplex

baldrick
01-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Anyone know what duplex model this is? Any good?

grumpy
01-14-2015, 03:51 PM
It looks like a 604-8G (or of that late alnico ilk) that someone put a different back cap (or entire driver) on.
There may be something about woofer mounting flange size or what's under the cap (and diaphragm... e.g.
phase plug) that may help a more savvy altec aficionado to answer more accurately.

I would expect it to sound quite nice with a matched crossover.

Horn Fanatic
01-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Anyone know what duplex model this is? Any good?

I have to agree with grumpy. The speaker is a 604-8G someone switched the back cover on. The 908 driver could be purchased as a separate unit.

Every Duplex made after the 604-B had the 'egg crate' horn, which was not a true multi-cell as with the 604, and 604-B. There was no 604-A. The 601 field coil was actually the first 15" CoAx ALTEC manufactured that used a Utah supplied stamped frame basket. It was renamed the 604 when the company switch to the permanent ALNICO magnet and die cast basket, lovingly referred to as the Hollywood 604 Duplex. I believe the 604-8H was the last of the ALNICO Duplex speakers, which incorporated that silly, awful sounding Mantaray horn.

H.F.

baldrick
01-15-2015, 12:20 AM
I agree, the only strange thing.... this is supposed to be a brand new (NOS) Altec speaker :blink: But the screws indicates that it's been opened before, so you are probably right!