View Full Version : Uh-oh...

boputnam
11-05-2004, 10:35 PM
We gotta new GUI.
I think it's nice but it makes my head spin... :hyp:

Thanks, John Nebel and Don, for working unfailingly hard for us all! :thmbsup:

johnaec
11-06-2004, 06:15 AM
OK - I think I've got it mostly figured out, except for one thing, (really two). First, how do you tell which threads have new messages in them, and second, how do you now mark a thread as "read", so you know where you left off the next time you come in? And I guess third - what is the significance of the blue vs. orange envelopes down the left?

Edit: OK - I found the "Mark as read" button under Forum Tools, but still don't know the answer to the other questions.

Edit 2: It looks like threads with new messages are bold...

Envelope colors?

John

Don McRitchie
11-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Threads with this icon http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/statusicon/forum_new.gif at the left have new posts. This is explained in the legend at the bottom of the main page. You can also click "New Posts" on the menu bar at the top to get a list of all posts that you have not read. The envelopes are also explained in the legend.

johnaec
11-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Got it Don - thanks!

One more thing - personally, I prefer the signatures down the left. With them on top, sigs with large pics result in a big blank gray area across the top, often larger than the message itself. Is this an option?

John

Don McRitchie
11-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Let me work on it

Robh3606
11-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Neatoooo

Thanks Guys!!!!

Rob:D

Robh3606
11-06-2004, 07:03 AM
Anyone else try the Search??? Doesn't seem to be working???

Rob:eek:

johnaec
11-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Anyone else try the Search??? Doesn't seem to be working???'Broke for me too, even Advanced search.

John

Maron Horonzakz
11-06-2004, 07:26 AM
I dont like this...You have black lettering on dark red background. I cant read this..More contrast is needed. Perhaps white lettering on dark red background would be appreciated for these old eyes. Lets not get too artsy....Readability is most importent.

Don C
11-06-2004, 09:53 AM
I dont see any black lettering on the red background. This the same transition that we had over at AK a couple of weeks ago, but it does seem to be going a bit smoother here. No data seems to be lost, thats nice.

boputnam
11-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Hey, Don...

Can you add a "Home" Link either on the top header or at the least under "Quick Links" - I was pretty fond of that refresh option...

scott fitlin
11-06-2004, 11:05 AM
How do I get to my private messages? cant find them.

Don McRitchie
11-06-2004, 11:32 AM
A number of ways. At the top right corner, where it says "Welcome: Scott Fitlin", there is an underlined link for "Private Messages". Just click that link. Conversely, click "Quick Links" on the menu bar above. "Private Messages" is one of the options displayed in the pop-up menu. A third option is to go to the "Forum Jump" drop down box at the botton right corner of most pages. Clicking on this will reveal a link to private messages. If this isn't enough, there are still other ways.

Earl K
11-06-2004, 11:50 AM
I dont like this...You have black lettering on dark red background. I cant read this..More contrast is needed. Perhaps white lettering on dark red background would be appreciated for these old eyes. Lets not get too artsy....Readability is most importent.

Hi Maron,

I understand your frustration. Todds Altec forum ( for me ) is Blue ( or Purple ) Lettering over the Green Backround. I might as well be blind .

Here; I see black-lettered text on top of a white background, with my Explorer 5.0 Browser ( Mac based ) .

What Browser are you using ?

<. Earl K

Don McRitchie
11-06-2004, 11:56 AM
I believe Maron is referring to the few instances where the legend text falls on the red background. I am working on these. None of the posts should be anything but black on white or light grey.

scott fitlin
11-06-2004, 01:08 PM
A number of ways. At the top right corner, where it says "Welcome: Scott Fitlin", there is an underlined link for "Private Messages". Just click that link. Conversely, click "Quick Links" on the menu bar above. "Private Messages" is one of the options displayed in the pop-up menu. A third option is to go to the "Forum Jump" drop down box at the botton right corner of most pages. Clicking on this will reveal a link to private messages. If this isn't enough, there are still other ways.I found it. Didnt even think to look there!

Well, maybe Ill change my mind a bit, and give myself a chance to get used to this new board! I mean, I remember the original forum, and these are much better compared to those, so...

I understand what Don is saying, and to tell you the truth, I have read everybodies complaints, including my own, and the fact is we at least have a forum that we can read, so I will give this a chance, and give John and Don a chance to get the kinks out.

:)

Maron Horonzakz
11-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Don.....You spotted it... Thank you.

boputnam
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
...the fact is we ... have a forum ... so I will give this a chance, and give John and Don a chance to get the kinks out. Bingo, Scotty!

There are subtle improvements - the pm capacity, for instance, is now 600, and there's bar scales to show where you are at. Immensely better than pm's getting blocked because you don't even realize you're at the limit.

Edit functions are now increased: <CTRL-DELETE>never used to work; now it does deleting the next word forward.

As well, when you are in a forum, you can place your mouse over a Thread, and the first post will appear - kinda cool. Maybe we can change that so that the LAST post appears, so you can decide to go there or not without wasting clicks...?

You guys should testout the "Display Mode" / Hybrid - a real space saver efficiency choice. Nice.

All these blessings... ;)

Ian Mackenzie
11-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Bingo, Scotty!

There are subtle improvements - the pm capacity, for instance, is now 600, and there's bar scales to show where you are at. Immensely better than pm's getting blocked because you don't even realize you're at the limit.

Edit functions are now increased: <CTRL-DELETE>never used to work; now it does deleting the next word forward.

As well, when you are in a forum, you can place your mouse over a Thread, and the first post will appear - kinda cool. Maybe we can change that so that the LAST post appears, so you can decide to go there or not without wasting clicks...?

You guys should testout the "Display Mode" / Hybrid - a real space saver efficiency choice. Nice.

All these blessings... ;)
Yep,

There are many cool benefits in the upgrade, not the least we can see where the heck we are at.

Ian:cool:

Don McRitchie
11-06-2004, 06:08 PM
There are subtle improvements - the pm capacity, for instance, is now 600, and there's bar scales to show where you are at. Immensely better than pm's getting blocked because you don't even realize you're at the limit.In this regard, it is worth noting the new links under "Download All PM's" at the bottom of the PM page. You can now archive your PM's to your PC before you delete them to gain space.

boputnam
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey, Don...

What's this "Add to Reputation" noise? :wtf:

What, has this become fantasy island where we can vote members off? [badword]. That is awful, and, from what I've seen can develop on this (and other Forums even more-so...), is destined for abuse, IMO. If a poser poster gets pissed, they can whack an otherwise high integrity response.

I move that option get voted off the island.

Don McRitchie
11-07-2004, 09:53 PM
What's this "Add to Reputation" noise? I have no idea. I turned it on just because I wanted to see what it did and how it worked. Over the next few days, I'll likely be turning on and off a number of poorly documented features just to see what they do and what impact they have.

Zilch
11-07-2004, 10:48 PM
"I doan wanna be whacked. No, no...."

:rockon1: :banana:

Don McRitchie
11-07-2004, 11:11 PM
{Don scribbles on a piece of paper with a black marker, turns to the camera.....}

I'm voting Bo off of the island. He used a bad word in his last post and refuses to acknowledge that the L100 is the finest speaker ever made.

Mr. Widget
11-08-2004, 01:34 AM
So how does this reputation rating thing work? I dinked Bo for cussing and can't find where the repercussion is hiding. :)

4313B
11-08-2004, 03:30 AM
I dinked Don for dinking Bo.

I dinked Mr. Widget for dinking Bo.

I expect all three of you to dink me because I'm dinkable.

I like it and will endeavor to win the Worst Rep award!

Well, that's crap! I tried to dink Don twice because of the L100 remark and it wouldn't let me! :banghead:

Ian Mackenzie
11-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Hey, Don...

What's this "Add to Reputation" noise? :wtf:

What, has this become fantasy island where we can vote members off? Bullshit. That is awful, and, from what I've seen can develop on this (and other Forums even more-so...), is destined for abuse, IMO. If a poser poster gets pissed, they can whack an otherwise high integrity response.

I move that option get voted off the island.
Bo and I had a good chat on the phone today,

You guys wanna try, gotta do something about those communications skills boys.

Ian

Don McRitchie
11-08-2004, 07:21 AM
You guys wanna try, gotta do something about those communications skills boys.Are you suggesting a ventrillo chat?

Don

boputnam
11-08-2004, 07:57 AM
{Don scribbles on a piece of paper with a black marker, turns to the camera.....} Don, I couldn't see what you wrote, but noticed you signed it "Giskard". Voter fraud!! :bash:

OK, well I dinked myself for [badword], and then liked it so much I dinked myself again. Now my eyesight seems slightly less acute. Lemme try that dink again...

Maybe we should appoint a masterdinker...? :rotfl:

Maron Horonzakz
11-08-2004, 08:08 AM
I see this site has slid down the slippery slope of dinkdome.

Don McRitchie
11-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Don, I couldn't see what you wrote, but noticed you signed it "Giskard". Voter fraud!!
So I gather the original poster does not see the comments left by a dinker? I haven't seen any and you indicate that you did not see mine. I'll have to investigate just where they go (just out of curiousity). So far I agree with your original assessment that this feature has the potential for more harm than good, particularly if the poster has no idea by whom and why they were dinked. I'll likely end up turning this feature off forever shortly.

boputnam
11-08-2004, 08:42 AM
So I gather the original poster does not see the comments left by a dinker? No, I confused you in attempted humor.

I cannot see the ratings anywhere. The only change has been my parking pass no longer works at the garage... :eek:

Back to dinkin'!! Whoo-woo...!!! :p

Don C
11-08-2004, 08:52 AM
If you hover your mouse pointer over the little colored dot on the left you can see a rating.

4313B
11-08-2004, 08:55 AM
You just got a dink for being helpful Don :D

John Nebel
11-08-2004, 08:59 AM
"boputnam has a little shameless behaviour in the past"

how true!

view source lets one see all the alt tags at once

johnaec
11-08-2004, 09:12 AM
"Dinking" related, from Sunday's newspaper...

Don C
11-08-2004, 09:47 AM
You just got dinked for payback Giskard.

Alex Lancaster
11-08-2004, 09:51 AM
So how do You know how many dinks each one has?

boputnam
11-08-2004, 09:52 AM
"boputnam has a little shameless behaviour in the past"
:no:

Dink-o-rama!!

"boputnam has a reputation beyond repute" :dancin:

And NO ONE is touching my L100's!!

Don McRitchie
11-08-2004, 10:00 AM
And watch Giskard try to undink himself from the starting position I just assigned him. The title seems quite appropriate.

As you can tell, I'm playing around with these settings to see what they do. So far, I have found that the individual dinkings shows up in your "User CP" with the comments. There are all kinds of rule settings to gain reputation without actually having someone dink you positively. Still investigating.........

boputnam
11-08-2004, 10:20 AM
And watch Giskard try to undink himself from the starting position I just assigned him. The title seems quite appropriate. :yes: Double-dink!!

4313B
11-08-2004, 10:38 AM
This reputation thingie reminds me of the computer game "Dark Lands".

Infamous isn't so bad :p

Is that the worst I can be though? There has to be something worse!

Don McRitchie
11-08-2004, 10:49 AM
You can set the terminology and point assignments to whatever you want. Right now, Giskard is at the worst level ;)

I have pretty much figured out how the system works and will be turning it off for the time being. I'll post a report a bit later on regarding what I've discovered. It is actually well thought out, with a number of measures to prevent abuse. However, I'll leave it to the members to determine if it actally has merit for subsequent use once I have posted the description.

boputnam
11-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Oddly, it is global. It would have perhaps some utility if it were Thread (or post) specific - but even there, in negative usage as I've seen on other Forums, things can get (really) contentious, and if someone's having a crummy day, it can stain them for life. I don't understand the need.

Leave it gone. We could re-instate "block" - that leaves the dispute between members.

John Nebel
11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Oddly, it is global. It would have perhaps some utility if it were Thread (or post) specific - but even there, in negative usage as I've seen on other Forums, things can get (really) contentious, and if someone's having a crummy day, it can stain them for life. I don't understand the need.

Leave it gone. We could re-instate "block" - that leaves the dispute between members.
Bo,

If those who aren't bothered about insults, ie. just about everyone here, misuse this thing properly, it would be great fun shameless one.

John

Alex Lancaster
11-08-2004, 11:53 AM
:thmbsup: John: Absolutely, where do I dink You?, Don removed the dinker.

Don C
11-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Oh well, but you can still report a bad post to the moderator. :p

Ian Mackenzie
11-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Are you suggesting a ventrillo chat?

Don
Not really, but perhaps for Project May .

Perception is reality on a thread and can often lead to the wrong things said for the wrong reasons.

Then we get a cascade effect of members blocking each other like kids in a school yard.

If you really want to get to know each other, phone up or Ventrillo.:o

Ian