PDA

View Full Version : Terminals connections JBL4343

Mikhail
01-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Maybe this question has already been, but I have not found?
Terminals connections. Replace or not to replace? If replace for what? Original or others? Which is better?

hjames
01-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Terminals connections. Replace or not to replace? If replace for what? Original or others? Which is better?

Those lousy, cheap, crappy pinch-hole connectors!!

- Yes, I replace them with a good pair of 5 way banana type connectors.
Parts express and other vendors have them ...

When I set my L200s up for biamping -
I made a small wooden panel to replace the factory panel and installed 2 pairs

The top parts screws out revealing a side hole you can put the wire through and screw down against it,
or you can use Banana plugs in the top hole.

audiomagnate
01-11-2015, 08:25 AM

REPLACE THEM, by all means. I have an irrational hate for the little buggers. I really don't think replacing them has a negative impact on re-sale. The older/smaller ones are even more frustrating to work with.

BMWCCA
01-11-2015, 09:49 AM
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the terminals on the 4343 actually part of the network assembly? My 4345s are clones with bi-amp cc-networks which I attached to the bottom of the cabinet so I used input cups with two pair of binding posts spaced for dual-banana plugs.

I searched for photos of the 3143 crossover out of the box and came up with this shot which seems to indicate the swap wouldn't involve actual work on the network circuit board, but I've no experience taking one apart:

64132 64133
and here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=17288&stc=1&d=1155130191

There are also several threads discussing improvements realized by by-passing the bi-amp gang switch.

martin2395
01-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Replacing the terminals with good quality binding posts isn't that difficult. It does involve minor soldering or you can use crimp connectors.

I converted my 4343 for use with external networks and used 2.5mm2 studio grade copper cable and Neutrik speakon connectors.

Mikhail
01-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Thank you for your help!
So I think not only to replace the terminals, and more to make a bypass regulators and it will be better for sound, you also think so? Or replace only the terminals? I use one amplifier in the system.

audiomagnate
01-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Thank you for your help!
So I think not only to replace the terminals, and more to make a bypass regulators and it will be better for sound, you also think so? Or replace only the terminals? I use one amplifier in the system.

Replace the terminals, but keep the L-Pads. If they bother you, find settings you will be happy with forever, measure both resistances present on each of the six L-Pads and duplicate them with identical value resistors. You may have to combine two or thee resistors to make one of the correct value. This going to be a huge amount of work for almost no benefit, and big loss of flexibility as well. "Improving" JBLs of this quality is not easy. Are you sure you're up to the task? If you ever decide to sell them you will have to undo your "upgrade" because nobody else is going to want to be stuck with your custom settings.

Mikhail
01-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Replace the terminals, but keep the L-Pads. If they bother you, find settings you will be happy with forever, measure both resistances present on each of the six L-Pads and duplicate them with identical value resistors. You may have to combine two or thee resistors to make one of the correct value. This going to be a huge amount of work for almost no benefit, and big loss of flexibility as well. "Improving" JBLs of this quality is not easy. Are you sure you're up to the task? If you ever decide to sell them you will have to undo your "upgrade" because nobody else is going to want to be stuck with your custom settings.

This is a good explanation, Thank you!
I will change only the terminals!

Mikhail
01-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Please advise me which terminals to buy and where to buy? To price and quality was good. Hole for the wire to 6mm2 and the ability to connect Banana.

BMWCCA
01-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Something here should work: http://www.parts-express.com/cat/binding-posts-plates/309

I use these because it's just like what JBL uses on many of my speakers already and they're spaced for dual-bananas:

But many here prefer individuals to fit where your current ones are, like these:

martin2395
01-12-2015, 12:40 AM
I use these, cheap and look very "high-endish":

You can call them WBT knockoffs, they are made by Dynavox and I saw them for around €8-10 @ pair.

@All
Does anybody have the correct resistor values for an 8 and 16 ohm l-pad set at 50% (0 on the foilcal) position?
L-pads mostly have +-20% tolerance so the values will always differ slightly.
I am also wondering, since one resistor sits paralell between the plus and the minus and one is in series on the positive speaker lead, can I use a cheap resistor for paralell one an expensive one like Mundorf Mresist for series or do they both should be of the same quality?

Mikhail
01-12-2015, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=martin2395;370602]I use these, cheap and look very "high-endish":

You can call them WBT knockoffs, they are made by Dynavox and I saw them for around €8-10 @ pair.

For me, Japan is closer! Found here are:スピーカーボックス用ターミナル ST02C 4個セット 4J257 - ヤフオク! (http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r122616796), one to one with yours!