PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jim Lansing drivers (150-4B)

motorstereo
01-02-2015, 03:56 AM
Hello; this is my post here so forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area or otherwise messed up. As the thread title says I'm looking for any info on a pair of 150-4B 15'' drivers that I've recenty acquired. I've not been able to find any info at all about the B model. Plenty of info about the C but nothing on the B. Does anyone know about these drivers? Such as mfg date and rarity? Should I use them in my daily set up. Thanks for any help and I'm going to try to add some pics but I'm not optmistic about being able to.

Mr. Widget
01-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about these speakers other than what I have read in the library here and in these forum threads. As far as I know the 150-4 was 32 ohms and the 150-4C was 16 ohms... and that was the only difference. Your "B" variant clearly says 32 ohms, so I guess it is a version of the 150-4. Why it is a "B" is a mystery to me.

Would you mind posting additional pictures for us to look at. It is certainly a rare beast.
Thanks,

Widget

motorstereo
01-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that info. I'll try to upload some more pics. These drivers are mounted into some custom made cabs. I've popped the top off one but it's still difficult to get a decent shot of them.

motorstereo
01-03-2015, 02:52 AM
Here's some more pics of these "rare beasts". They both ohm out the same. I'm thinking the 11.5 dc resistance equals approx 16 ohms? Maybe the 32 ohms stated on the driver means for a pair? The cabs they're mounted in were custom made and the plans were sourced from JBL at the time. Someone put a lot of time into the cabs as they are exceptionally well made but I don't think they're quite as old as the Jim Lansing drivers.

motorstereo
01-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Anyone else out there or have I stumped the JBL forum with one of their own items:dont-know:

1audiohack
01-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Sorry to have wasted your time.

What we don't have here is a bunch of people that will carry on about something they know nothing about. You have something of a mystery there. Congratulations.

Hopefully you will add to the knowledge bank here if and when you find out more about them.

I hope you find what your looking for.

All the best,
Barry.

Steve Schell may still chime in.

Tim Rinkerman
01-17-2015, 11:16 AM
My guess is that the girl typing out the labels that day stuck the B's on them by mistake, after typing out a bunch of 130B labels that day, because a B on a 130 meant it was 32ohms. The early JBL bookkeeping is notoriously and legendarily sketchy…the fact that yours meter out to be 16 ohms, leads me to suspect that they were most likely re-coned at some point. Are there any markings or serial numbers on the cone? Any pictures of the front of the cone? I'd be curious as to see what JBL plans those cabinets were built from.

grumpy
01-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Lol... well there just -isn't- much (if any info) on this particular model, so no surprise on the lack of response.

Guesses/opinions? sure, they're free :) Not sure it will help your cause (sometimes silence is better).

Something from a custom system (short run built for another company or unsuccessful endeavor perhaps)
intended as a paralleled driver. Certainly could have been reconed, as has been mentioned.

Lack of documented history (and something that looks like a back-side repair) makes them interesting
as a curiosity, but for me at least, the value ends there... vs. something like a 150-4C which has specific
and known applications in now historic and valuable systems.

If you're lucky, someone might pay some sort of premium for the frames, hoping they can be reworked
as 150-4C with unobtainium NOS cone kits or aftermarket bits and relabeled (essentially reproductions
as opposed to original).

Hope you find them a good home, ... they are interesting.

1audiohack
01-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I doubt I'll be able to add anything to the knowledge bank as I won't be owning them much longer and will be deleting this thread by the end of the day.

Why would you want to delete the thread?

Barry.

motorstereo
01-17-2015, 02:41 PM
How about that........ I can't delete pics or posts except for the ones I did today. Anyway the "rare beasts" have now gone to a new home so I won't be bothering the forum for anymore info.:) Thanks to the fellas that did post though.

hjames
01-18-2015, 12:21 AM
There's a 24 hour limit on edits round these parts ...
not sure why, its just how they configured this place.

How about that........
I can't delete pics or posts except for the ones I did today.
Anyway the "rare beasts" have now gone to a new home
so I won't be bothering the forum for anymore info.:)
Thanks to the fellas that did post though.

BMWCCA
01-18-2015, 08:08 AM
There's a 24 hour limit on edits round these parts ...
not sure why, its just how they configured this place.

Probably to preserve any and all information despite attempts by flippers to come here, ascertain value, then delete a thread so they can advertise for more elsewhere?

I, personally, like the fact that this thread and the attached photos will live beyond the smash-and-grab poster's presence here. :)

WmartinB
01-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Hello - I am now the lucky owner of these woofers - Motorstereo was generous and allowed me to adopt them -

I have a few pictures of the cones and the markings on the back - Each of the cones looks good, spiders nice and flat - 2551 1 stamped on the back of each cone along with what I think is a red circular QC stamp?

This pair happens to be nearly sequential - 310-322 & 301-324

Any info on the 2551 1 cones?

WmartinB
01-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Based on the cabinet style I was thinking they may have been used as addons to an organ?

Mr. Widget
01-19-2015, 09:38 AM
Congratulations on your adoption and thanks for the additional pics.

Is the black spot on the surround of the one speaker a repair of a torn paper surround? I am hardly an expert on the subject, but to prevent future tears, you may want to consult one of our resident recone experts about doping the surrounds.

Widget

WmartinB
01-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Congratulations on your adoption and thanks for the additional pics.

Is the black spot on the surround of the one speaker a repair of a torn paper surround? I am hardly an expert on the subject, but to prevent future tears, you may want to consult one of our resident recone experts about doping the surrounds.

Widget

Thank you - Any picture requests will be answered - The speaker surround actually seems to be "lightly?" doped - The surrounds have a very thin clear coating - The black spot is a silicone patch used by one of the previous owners

The glue from the dustcaps looks worse in the pics than it actually is - In person it is thin and pretty clean looking although the glue is brown- Not sure if JBL used brown glue for this -

WmartinB
01-24-2015, 11:54 PM
Still wondering if anyone has input on these cones - :confused: