PDA

View Full Version : Grille Cloth

Wagner
12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Hello,

Hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Christmas.

I would like to ask; what is the current availability status of the blue "Zilch" cloth (or whatever it is being referred to now).

I am down to less than a yard or two left from the last measure I purchased from Evan, God Bless him.

I remember there were some starts and fits with it once his stash was consumed but a current update would be well received.

Thank you all

Thomas

JeffW
12-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Guys seem to like the offerings from Huntley Audio (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?35574-4430-blue-grill-cloth-needed-asap!!!!&p=360617&viewfull=1#post360617). I've never dealt with them, FWIW.

Wagner
12-31-2014, 03:56 PM
Guys seem to like the offerings from Huntley Audio (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?35574-4430-blue-grill-cloth-needed-asap!!!!&p=360617&viewfull=1#post360617). I've never dealt with them, FWIW.

Thank you Jeff but a substitute was not what I had in mind

Those are plentiful

The Huntley stuff certainly is handsome but the weave is noticeably different from the old JBL material, at least as I can best tell from the photo(s)

Thanks again
Thomas

JeffW
12-31-2014, 04:09 PM
No problem. But Zilch has passed and Rick was just about out before his postings became less and less frequent a few years ago, not sure anybody has anything but "substitute".

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?26879-Blue-Grille-Cloth-AKA-Zilch-Cloth

audiomagnate
12-31-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry but $69 a yard is ridiculous. The true cost is around 1/20th of that. I'm all for making a profit, but there's no way on earth I would pay that for a piece of polyester fabric. I'm sure there is something out there that comes really close, we just have to find it. Or pay $69. And as far as "authenticity" goes, JBL didn't have fabric mill somewhere, they just bought the stuff. Maybe it was made to a special spec and truly unique, but maybe it isn't. Royal blue, polyester. How difficult can this be? I'll let you know what I find, as I need some too.

JeffW
12-31-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry but $69 a yard is ridiculous. The true cost is around 1/20th of that. I'm all for making a profit, but there's no way on earth I would pay that for a piece of polyester fabric. I'm sure there is something out there that comes really close, we just have to find it. Or pay $69. And as far as "authenticity" goes, JBL didn't have fabric mill somewhere, they just bought the stuff. Maybe it was made to a special spec and truly unique, but maybe it isn't. Royal blue, polyester. How difficult can this be? I'll let you know what I find, as I need some too.

That's what Zilch did, track down the real deal. I didn't make any claims as to whether or not the stuff in the link was worth what you thought it was or not, I just posted the link.

The whole reason Zilch went for it was because he too was put off by not having access to the real deal. Sounds like a great business opportunity for you to make a 19X profit and undercut the competition, all at once!

hjames
12-31-2014, 05:12 PM
That's what Zilch did, track down the real deal. I didn't make any claims as to whether or not the stuff in the link was worth what you thought it was or not, I just posted the link.

The whole reason Zilch went for it was because he too was put off by not having access to the real deal. Sounds like a great business opportunity for you to make a 19X profit and undercut the competition, all at once!

yet again, we all miss the determination of Mr Zilch!
If I recall, the real problem is the vendor he got the cloth from only wanted to sell it in large wholesale quantities,
so he bought some and stockpiled the rest, selling it in batches as needed.

Horn Fanatic
12-31-2014, 06:34 PM
Hello,

Hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Christmas.

I would like to ask; what is the current availability status of the blue "Zilch" cloth (or whatever it is being referred to now).

I am down to less than a yard or two left from the last measure I purchased from Evan, God Bless him.

I remember there were some starts and fits with it once his stash was consumed but a current update would be well received.

Thank you all

Thomas

Is the material you're looking for, for example, that which was used on the L65 Jubal, or is it the thinner material that was used on the studio monitors? That particular fabric was supplied by Solar, and has since discontinued that weave. In fact, I think the company is out of business. All I have of their product is about a half dozen fabric swatches they sent me. It's a great looking weave, and considerably more acoustically transparent than the L65 type material. I wish I could find something similar.

H.F.

BMWCCA
12-31-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm sorry but $69 a yard is ridiculous.

Don't know what that number's from? When I got mine from Rick it was $15/yard. :dont-know:

gsb001
01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
I'd love to expand my fabric selection with the original weaves and colors.

Does anyone have supplier information? I'll do all the sourcing, buying and selling.

Thank you,
SB
HuntleyAudio.com

JeffW
01-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Don't know what that number's from? When I got mine from Rick it was $15/yard. :dont-know:

Yeah, but he was all but out of blue a couple of years ago when he last posted to his grill cloth thread. Not sure of the other colors, he's not really active these days. Point is, doesn't really matter what an unavailable product cost a couple of years ago...what can you buy today, at what cost?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30261-JBL-Blue-and-Black-Grille-Cloth-(2011)&p=319590&viewfull=1#post319590

Wagner
01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Did not intend to start a fire.

Simply trying to ascertain if any of the authentic weave and weight cloth like I bought from Evan ("Zllch") was still available.

I know someone else picked up the project after Evan's stash ran out and was offering the Brown as well for a while.

I think JeffW has answered that part of it too (I assume it was "Rick" that you mentioned?)

Is "Rick" done with it as well or has he just dropped off the radar? If we're talking the same person I seem to remember he too ran out of the Blue rather quickly?

Sorry I didn't buy more when Evan still had a roll! Always enjoyed the stray cat hairs and good vibes that came in every package! :)

Mr. Widget
01-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Always enjoyed the stray cat hairs and good vibes that came in every package! :)That put a smile on my face.

During the past several years we've lost quite a few good friends.:(

And those like Rick "Saeman" who we've lost by their leaving the Forum.

Widget

focalguy
01-11-2015, 03:35 AM
Hi all,
I have followed all the posts for restoring the big 4355's and Rick's posts have been instrumental in my builds. Its too bad that he has left the forums. I presume he is the same Rick from Kenrick Sound. The cloth from Acoustimac is a great replacement and very easy to work with and cheap $9/yard ... see Zilch's instructions to install the cloth.. its bang on. I just finished the 4355's and they are amazing... so much so the 4351 is in the works. Cheers from Vancouver Canada. Sorry for the upside down pics... darn ipad. John Kang--- Kang Sound

focalguy
01-11-2015, 03:42 AM
Hi all,
I have followed all the posts for restoring the big 4355's and Rick's posts have been instrumental in my builds. Its too bad that he has left the forums. I presume he is the same Rick from Kenrick Sound. The cloth from Acoustimac is a great replacement and very easy to work with and cheap $9/yard ... see Zilch's instructions to install the cloth.. its bang on. I just finished the 4355's and they are amazing... so much so the 4351 is in the works. Cheers from Vancouver Canada. Sorry for the upside down pics... darn ipad. John Kang--- Kang Sound

here's the link....http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-acoustic-fabric/

focalguy
01-11-2015, 03:52 AM

the 4355's are an exact reproduction.... what was i thinkin :blink: .... was easy with a CNC router.

audiomagnate
01-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Thank you brand new focalguy, and welcome to the forum!