PDA

View Full Version : L65 phase question.

blue348
12-26-2014, 10:10 AM
So, I just came into the possession of a pair of L65 Jubals and I'm pairing them with some more modern speakers as part of a 5.1 setup. Now, I know the polarity of these is the opposite of my other speakers and I'm not sure what (if anything) to do about it. Do I just wire them in reverse so that they're in phase with everything else, or?

hjames
12-26-2014, 10:23 AM
So, I just came into the possession of a pair of L65 Jubals and I'm pairing them with some more modern speakers as part of a 5.1 setup. Now, I know the polarity of these is the opposite of my other speakers and I'm not sure what (if anything) to do about it. Do I just wire them in reverse so that they're in phase with everything else, or?

Yes - just hook up your mains Positive (+) to black and Negative (-) to red ...
so they are flipped relative to the rest of your speakers ...

JeffW
12-26-2014, 10:28 AM
5.1 with an AVR? Does it have Audessey? If it does, that'll report the speaker phase (or relative polarity or whatever).

blue348
12-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Does wiring them in reverse affect how they'll sound on their own? I want them sounding their best in 2.0, the vinyl setup is a big part of this.

Yeah, through an AVR. It's a Yamaha, so it's got YPAO, which picked up on it immediately.

hjames
12-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Does wiring them in reverse affect how they'll sound on their own? I want them sounding their best in 2.0, the vinyl setup is a big part of this.

Yeah, through an AVR. It's a Yamaha, so it's got YPAO, which picked up on it immediately.

I presume you are not going to disturb the L65 internal cabinet wiring, just discussing how you connect them to your amp/receiver/AVR. When they play by themselves, with undisturbed internal wiring, it should be imperceptible to your ears
if they are connected to the amp forward or reverse.
What matters is that they are relatively in phase with the other speakers (and sub) you run in the room.

Do NOT flip their phase in the AVR config screens - once you reverse the + and - wire going to the L65 cabinet,
it should look fine (and in-phase) when you re-run the YPAO.

blue348
12-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I presume you are not going to disturb the L65 internal cabinet wiring, just discussing how you connect them to your amp/receiver/AVR.
When they play by themselves, with undisturbed internal wiring, it should be imperceptible if they are connected to the amp
forward or reverse. What matters is that they are relatively in phase with the other speakers (and sub) you run in the room.

Do NOT flip their phase in the AVR config screens - once you reverse the + and - to the L65 cabinet,
it should look fine (and in-phase) when you re-run the YAOP.

That is correct. I'll give it a try.

gasfan
12-26-2014, 02:43 PM
I presume you are not going to disturb the L65 internal cabinet wiring, just discussing how you connect them to your amp/receiver/AVR. When they play by themselves, with undisturbed internal wiring, it should be imperceptible to your ears
if they are connected to the amp forward or reverse.
What matters is that they are relatively in phase with the other speakers (and sub) you run in the room.

Do NOT flip their phase in the AVR config screens - once you reverse the + and - wire going to the L65 cabinet,
it should look fine (and in-phase) when you re-run the YPAO.

How could being out of phase be imperceptible in 2ch stereo? Are JBLs different in that regard? I have a pair of L65 so my curiosity is now piqued. I don't want to pull them out, and set them up unless I can expect a pleasant surprise as I had them hooked up apparently out of phase in the past.:bouncy:

Allanvh5150
12-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Interesting thing about YPAO,my RX-V750 said that my L150's were out of phase but my EX-Z11 said all was ok.

Don't always believe what technology is trying to tell you.

Allan.

hjames
12-26-2014, 03:17 PM
How could being out of phase be imperceptible in 2ch stereo? Are JBLs different in that regard? I have a pair of L65 so my curiosity is now piqued. I don't want to pull them out, and set them up unless I can expect a pleasant surprise as I had them hooked up apparently out of phase in the past.:bouncy:

If you only have a pair of speakers connected, there is no point of reference if that pair is out of phase -
Reverse polarity or forward is irrelevant with no other speakers in play.
But if a DRIVER is out of phase with the rest of the speaker, or you have one speaker out of phase with the other in a pair,
then you have something to notice.!

gasfan
12-26-2014, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=hjames;369957]If you only have a pair of speakers connected, there is no point of reference if that pair is out of phase -
Reverse polarity or forward is irrelevant with no other speakers in play.
But if a DRIVER is out of phase with the rest of the speaker, or you have one speaker out of phase with the other in a pair,
then you have something to notice.![/QU

Well no wonder they just awarded that orangutan human rights in Argentina, I must be it's uncle!

blue348
12-26-2014, 04:49 PM
I reversed wiring at the AVR and, as expected, YPAO no longer finds them out of phase. I don't perceive any difference when running them in 2.0. Then again, while they've been in the family since they were new, I've only had them here for a couple days, so I don't have much of a point of reference. But in my experience you are correct, the only time you'd notice it is if one cabinet was out of phase relative to the other in a 2.0 setup.