PDA

View Full Version : A eulogy for RadioShack, the panicked and half-dead retail empire

SEAWOLF97
11-30-2014, 11:15 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7281129/radioshack-eulogy-stories

LowPhreak
11-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Nothing new really, since the U.S. retro'ed back to the Gilded Age some years ago. Now instead of 12-14 year old kids working long days in sweatshops, we have these stories of modern sweatshops. One might have imagined that people struggled, fought, and some died for labor laws and government oversight of corporations, but with a few well-placed political contributions the history books are rendered null, like it never happened. Mussolini would have been proud.

Most of Rat Shack's products have always been lackluster and many were overpriced junk, even when they were in their hey-day. Except for the odd connector, wire, meter, or antenna, etc., there was hardly a reason to go there.

Good riddance I say.

Ducatista47
11-30-2014, 04:37 PM
That was a sobering read. I have used them occasionally when I needed something right away, and several times when I knew they would have a solution that no one else offered. Back in the 1970s I used then a lot.

Mainly, I still continued to think of them as a local legacy of the beloved Allied Industrial Catalog. True, but what a sad legacy of late. Sounds like they were as bad as Circuit City.

DavidF
11-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Nothing new really, since the U.S. retro'ed back to the Gilded Age some years ago. Now instead of 12-14 year old kids working long days in sweatshops, we have these stories of modern sweatshops. One might have imagined that people struggled, fought, and some died for labor laws and government oversight of corporations, but with a few well-placed political contributions the history books are rendered null, like it never happened. Mussolini would have been proud.

Most of Rat Shack's products have always been lackluster and many were overpriced junk, even when they were in their hey-day. Except for the odd connector, wire, meter, or antenna, etc., there was hardly a reason to go there.

Good riddance I say.

Noting the Occupy Everything broad brush condemnation I certainly would not be so quick to apply this to Radio Shack of old. It's a dying model and I can see it when I go there on occasion. But in the "hey day" they did have quality products and, in my little corners of the world, people working there that were happy to work there. A great place to buy audio equipment especially if you were turned off or intimidated by the snooty attitude of many audio retailers. Maybe we have differing ideas of when the hey day was.

Ed Kreamer
11-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Colleagues,

In the past I've spent time at RS, purchasing parts, speaker wire,VOM meters and the like. I stopped going some time ago when they became a....well I'm not sure what they became. What ever it was, Its time had come.

One other thing, I thought we were here to discuss our beloved Lansing and variations thereof rather than some political screed espoused from know nothings. There I said it.

Shalom to all

SEAWOLF97
11-30-2014, 06:05 PM
I was trying to remember back to the last time that I purchased anything in a RS store , could not do it.

Back in the 90's , Tandy tried an "anti-Radio Shak" type of experience ...

Incredible Universe was the name of a chain of American consumer electronics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_electronics) stores in the early to mid-1990s. A typical Incredible Universe was 185,000 square feet (17,200 m2) of sales floor and warehouse, stocking around 85,000 items.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe#cite_note-lubbock-2)
The operation was conceived by former Tandy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation) CEO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_executive_officer) John Roach (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_Roach_(businessman)&action=edit&redlink=1). Many internal corporate philosophies of Disney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walt_Disney_Company) theme parks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusement_park) were borrowed; in an Incredible Universe store, retail departments were 'scenes,' employees were 'cast members,' uniforms were 'costumes,' and so forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Universe

it was fun, well stocked, reasonably priced, kid friendly, sold "quality" gear ..etc. We did spend money there, but even that model did not succeed. I don't know if it was management or the takeover of the web. :dont-know:

that turned into Fry's ...good prices,inventory , but bare bones of a store.

in retrospect, RS had a good run. It's almost over.

also: one of the big complaints that we had was that RS changed suppliers so often that if you liked the gear that you bought last month, it would be a different producer with same model number & looks next month (and all different qualities) ... and the "look-alikes" , RS speakers were a direct rip off of the Pioneers that were popular at the time (but sure didn't sound the same)

One other thing, I thought we were here to discuss our beloved Lansing and variations ...

Ed ..this is in the General Audio Discussion (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?6-General-Audio-Discussion) forum, where it belongs

There are also threads for: old cars , jobs,weather, paypal, hurricanes, space shuttles , cats , craig's list ..etc,etc
and even for competing speakers that are NOT beloved JBL's ...

BMWCCA
11-30-2014, 06:20 PM
One other thing, I thought we were here to discuss our beloved Lansing and variations thereof rather than some political screed espoused from no nothings. There I said it.

Shalom to all

I'm guessing you meant "know-nothings"?

Go ahead, discuss-away! Anything holding you back??

:yawn:

LowPhreak
11-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Noting the Occupy Everything broad brush condemnation I certainly would not be so quick to apply this to Radio Shack of old. It's a dying model and I can see it when I go there on occasion. But in the "hey day" they did have quality products and, in my little corners of the world, people working there that were happy to work there. A great place to buy audio equipment especially if you were turned off or intimidated by the snooty attitude of many audio retailers. Maybe we have differing ideas of when the hey day was.

Apparently in your haste to associate my post with OWS, which is polarizing, you missed that I didn't post this about Radio Shack/Tandy Corp. only, and not going back to the 70's (except for their products, not how they treated employees then) which is before most of corporate America became as myopically greedy as it is now. Should I do the favor in-kind and label your viewpoint as Tea Party or other such?

It seems no one can voice an opinion, or even put out facts, without it getting instantly categorized into one camp or the other and derided if it doesn't sit well with another's political view, even if it's the truth. Whereupon all reasonable discussion stops, partisan mudslinging or paralysis begins. However, there is something called common ground which we all might realize if some wouldn't let the trees get in the way of the forest. But I suppose that depends on how one makes their living, among other things.

Yeah, it's the economy, stupid, and politics = 'who gets what'.

But more toward the topic - I went to school with a few people that became MBA's/economist-types, a couple of whom I've spoken with recently and even they've said that back then it was taught that yes, corporations have a responsibility to shareholders (profit), but they also have an obligation to their employees, customers, and the communities in which they operate. Somewhere in the 80's-90's it became about dividends every 3 months and exec comp, the rest be damned, and has only gotten worse. I think this story about Radio Shack illustrates that to an extent, and RS certainly is not the only one.

Radio Shack products IMO have been acceptable at best, mediocre usually. I always thought they were overpriced too, the main advantage being you could get something quick in most small cities because there was a RS branch.

Ed Kreamer
11-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Colleagues
I can recall when Altec went under, and how surprised I was. Perhaps I shouldn't have been. As it turns out Altec's parent company was skimming the profits from Altec, and as a result Altec was unable to create new products and then quality control went down the tube and we all know the result. My source for this was an Altec sound contractor who was pretty ticked off with the situation. It seems that a lot of company's with parent/holding company's holding their paper wind up being run by people who know nothing about the business, and we can be thankful that JBL is held by Harman. ( I actually met Sidney Harman. A very interesting man.) Even though some may wonder of the wisdom of some of their actions.

The market place changes and those unwilling to change will most likely fail.

Regarding Exec pay: Yeah many of them are overpayed . That is up to the company's board of directors.
Economists? There is a reason why it's called the dismal science.
no-nothings? Yes I did mean know-nothings

I'm sorry to see RS go. It was great to find an L-pad when I needed one

Shalom to you all

LowPhreak
12-01-2014, 12:54 AM
I guess we should content ourselves with Mr. Kreamer's platitudes while he drafts his enlightenment of the "no nothings". :hmm:

:bs:

hjames
12-01-2014, 04:08 AM
I guess we should content ourselves with Mr. Kreamer's platitudes while he drafts his enlightenment of the "no nothings". :hmm:

:bs:

Well, its a darned shame none-the-less. I am from the era of multiple local shops for electronic parts and supplies
(Allied, Heathkit, Lafayette, RS, etc) so to see the last local electronics convenience store circling the drain is a sad affair,
whatever the reason ...
I've waited in line many times of late for connectors or fuses or similar
as they sold a cell phone to some couple of indeterminate ethnicity -
and I get it - there's certainly more money in a cell phone sale and contract than in my $6 pack of fuses ...
but if I didn't need them NOW, I'd certainly use an internet source ...

speakerdave
12-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Radio Shack:

--the last local seller of electronic bits in my small city
--kept their tube testers on site and an ever shortening shelf of tubes until sometime in the late 70's.
--always a good spot for browsing fish finders
--never again ahead of the curve on anything after the TRS80
--a good source for toys that would almost certainly be disappointing
--at one time sold an excellent cast frame 5" full range/mid range driver by Utah that was identical to the one sold by Trusonic.
--always staffed by very earnest people, usually quite young
--tried to make a business of 'me too' products
-- for a number of years apparently required their clerks to ask the customer's name and address at least four times even though he may be buying one small thing for cash. Very irritating.
-- in recent years so grossly overpriced their wires, connectors etc. that it seemed evident they were aware they were the last resort and only immediate source of the thing. They in effect notified their customers to plan more carefully and allow the three day lead time to get the thing from parts e____ss.
--failed to respond to cultural and market changes, as witness the business name. Very few people would now know what it originally meant.

Rapidan
01-02-2015, 06:33 PM
This.

My son is an EE and works for a startup electronics kit company called LittleBits. They just inked a deal with RS, who are apparently engaged in a last ditch effort to get back to their "roots" (remember the 50-in-1 electronics kits?) I told him to make sure they don't overextend credit terms.

As an adult, I never found their offerings in any area compelling, especially hi-fi. Although they did offer a PZM mic for a while, licensed by Crown apparently, of which we bought tons at 39.95 and rewired them for balanced operation and phantom powering, they sounded great and were practically disposable, a great thing for the punk bands of the day.

Radio Shack:

--kept their tube testers on site and an ever shortening shelf of tubes until sometime in the late 70's.
--at one time sold an excellent cast frame 5" full range/mid range driver by Utah that was identical to the one sold by Trusonic.
-- for a number of years apparently required their clerks to ask the customer's name and address at least four times even though he may be buying one small thing for cash. Very irritating.
-- in recent years so grossly overpriced their wires, connectors etc. that it seemed evident they were aware they were the last resort and only immediate source of the thing. They in effect notified their customers to plan more carefully and allow the three day lead time to get the thing from parts e____ss.
--failed to respond to cultural and market changes, as witness the business name. Very few people would now know what it originally meant.

jerry_rig
01-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I bought a TRS80, my first computer in 1984. I think I paid more for that thing than I did for my latest Mac Pro. Maybe lasted me two or three useful years.

It's clear that RS is long for this earth. Blame it on whatever you want.

Regarding some of the comments below, I am a Ph.D economist. Most economists teach, a large number work in government and a relatively small number are in business or on Wall Street. We're generally much different animals than MBAs. So please go easy. Thanks!

Jerry

Radio Shack:

JeffW
01-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Wasn't long ago I was in Radio Shack to get a connector of some sort, and noticed they had something I'd been wanting to buy that I'd never expect to see in RS. An Arduino Uno! Got a breadboard and jumpers - and then went home to order the EEPROM and other circuit elements from Digikey or someplace. :D

Donald
01-03-2015, 07:44 AM
I was spoiled. I grew up going to the Newark Electronics store on west Madison Ave. in Chicago. Then to the store on Pulaski when they moved. Never left without something I did not go there to get.

Allied Electronics on south Western Ave was a distant 2nd. Their saving grace was they had JBL speakers you could see and hear. Got my first pair, Dorian S12, there in the late 60s. Still have them. In the middle of my avatar.

RS, more times than not, has disappointed. Need 4 of something and they only have 3.

I have the multi hundred page Newark catalog and order via the website. Just have to plan ahead. :)

Mr. Widget
01-03-2015, 10:13 AM
RS, more times than not, has disappointed. Need 4 of something and they only have 3. Isn't that the truth! Not to mention the quality of what they stock is often substandard.

Widget

SEAWOLF97
01-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Isn't that the truth! Not to mention the quality of what they stock is often substandard.

Widget

the issue that I had with them was ....get a part last week , it's OK ..made in Korea. Got back next month to get another of the same , same package , SKU , price , and now it's Ch1na made crap.

Could never rely on their sources. Especially receivers. Oh, and "look alike" styling. I see so many people pick up late 60's/Pioneer looking speakers and get excited until they get flipped over and the RS label is viewed . Excitement gone ... back to shelf. Same thing with Minimus 7 speakers. Japan made ones were very nice , then production sourced from Malaysia ...identical price/looks but not sound. :eek:

Have never heard, but the Mach 2 speakers got good reviews from persons whose expertise I could not verify.

And those "big deal" free batteries ... lasted a day or so. In the end -now- , I don't know who their target customers are :dont-know:

Donald
01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Isn't that the truth! Not to mention the quality of what they stock is often substandard.

Widget

Well, they actually had what I needed today! A small project box and a DPST switch. The inventory count stickers on every thing was ominous, though. :(

There was some guy that looked corporate talking to a guy in a white lab coat. Did not catch any of their conversation. Shutdown team?

Allanvh5150
01-15-2015, 07:04 PM
In the 70's these types of stores were great. However, Ebay now is a treasure trove for the constructor.

Allan.

SEAWOLF97
02-02-2015, 07:48 PM

The NYSE has suspended trading RadioShack stock and was preparing to delist it as rumors of a major sell off for the electronic company loomed.

RadioShack has lost 90 percent of its value in a year and its stock was trading at .22 cents a share Monday night.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/02/02/radioshack-may-shutter-sprint-to-get-half-of-chain/

gferrell
02-04-2015, 05:33 PM
I hear Amazon may take some.

SEAWOLF97
02-05-2015, 10:07 AM
RadioShack employees: Tales from the walking deadhttp://money.cnn.com/2015/02/05/news/companies/radioshack-stores/

DavidF
02-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Most businesses have a life cycle. I am afraid this is it for Radio Shack. A name I have known for most of my own life.

hjames
02-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Most businesses have a life cycle.
I am afraid this is it for Radio Shack. A name I have known for most of my own life.

Its sad, but we've already lost Lafayette, Allied, and a host of others ...
who is left to fill the gap?
(And I don't mean selling cell phones)

Ducatista47
02-05-2015, 02:06 PM
O
Its sad, but we've already lost Lafayette, Allied, and a host of others ...
who is left to fill the gap?
(And I don't mean selling cell phones)
Newark, Digikey, Mauser, Parts Express, Madisound; and the Allied Industrial catalog still lives on. Not the same owners as Radio Shack, obviously. It was sold a lifetime ago when Tandy wanted to concentrate on the "real" opportunity. Not brick and mortar but that was part of the problem.

The other local electronics component stores are long gone here, and missed by me. There were two really fine ones, both good sized. Warren Radio and Klaus Radio. The latter was where I last held a paper Allied catalog. New Yorkers might remember the neighborhood demolished to build the World Trade Center. That was the Mother Lode.

I think things are a little better in some Japanese cities. A recent film about Sakuma shows him visiting a fourth floor shop selling nothing but vacuum tubes. He was looking for a tube to build his latest all transformer wonder around. He reverently held one candidate uttering "KEN-RAD ". Off topic but for the curious, all things Sakuma : http://www10.big.or.jp/~dh/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzVebMjCDw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TsaH1ljkKu0

The best for last, the tube store about 1:30 in. This store might drop your jaw involuntary.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n_b4GpqNB7k

OK, just shoot me now, totally off topic but this proves all our stuff is not being hoarded by wealthy Far East collectors. Some of it is being hoarded by old widdows of modest means. "Western Electric Collector." When they get some of it on a TV show they actual play the big dogs. It's like The Price Is Right or something and next thing a big board is flashing seventy two million yen. Only on Japanese TV. I thought I was going to die laughing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgteF6r33g

tomt
02-05-2015, 06:27 PM
New Yorkers might remember the neighborhood demolished to build the World Trade Center.

That was the Mother Lode.

The six-square-block area in lower Manhattan became a bazaar of tubes,
knobs, hi-fi equipment and antenna kits.
It was the largest collection of radio and electronics stores in the world.

http://www.qcwa.org/radio-row.htm

http://www.npr.org/programs/lnfsound/stories/020603.radiorow.html

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/GON/GON031.htm

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````

might be awhile, before RS, completely vanish ...

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````

off topic -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9Gvnx3IgAEveEZ.jpg

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2015, 10:27 AM
I seem to remember that Acoustic Research had some type of demo store in NYC ..some place glitzy ?

pretty good WSJ article about all this.
Strategic Confusion Put RadioShack at Mercy of Lendershttp://www.wsj.com/articles/strategic-confusion-put-radioshack-at-the-mercy-of-lenders-1423164004

hjames
02-06-2015, 10:33 AM
VERY interesting article

Bloomberg reported (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-02/radioshack-is-said-to-discuss-liquidation-as-part-of-sprint-deal) that RadioShack was pursuing a bankruptcy plan, which would see it sell half its stores to Sprint, a few others possibly to Amazon and boarded windows for the rest. The WSJ previously reported that the price tag was in the $50M range.

Google should buy Radio Shack for $50M and it immediately has huge retail footprint selling Android and chrome devices

http://9to5google.com/2015/02/03/google-buy-radioshack/

svollmer
02-06-2015, 01:13 PM
VERY interesting article

Bloomberg reported (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-02/radioshack-is-said-to-discuss-liquidation-as-part-of-sprint-deal) that RadioShack was pursuing a bankruptcy plan, which would see it sell half its stores to Sprint, a few others possibly to Amazon and boarded windows for the rest. The WSJ previously reported that the price tag was in the $50M range.

Google should buy Radio Shack for $50M and it immediately has huge retail footprint selling Android and chrome devices

http://9to5google.com/2015/02/03/google-buy-radioshack/

Yikes! Don't say that!

As an original fan of Google back before most people knew of it, I’m seriously getting worried about how much they’re getting into our lives.They’re assembling every piece of information (including this rather conspiratorial sounding post) about us that they can and they’re getting into every aspect of our lives.

Posting this may come back to haunt me in the future when they run the government.

Oh no, here they come…… :uhmmmm:

Mr. Widget
02-06-2015, 01:22 PM
As an original fan of Google back before most people knew of it, I’m seriously getting worried about how much they’re getting into our lives.Yeah, remember: "Don't be evil." :blink:

Widget

LowPhreak
02-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Yikes! Don't say that!

As an original fan of Google back before most people knew of it, I’m seriously getting worried about how much they’re getting into our lives.They’re assembling every piece of information (including this rather conspiratorial sounding post) about us that they can and they’re getting into every aspect of our lives.

Posting this may come back to haunt me in the future when they run the government.

Oh no, here they come…… :uhmmmm:

It's not "conspiratorial" or a "theory", it's actually true. As Snowden showed us, everything is tracked, recorded, spied on now and it's not just Google but Google is one of the biggest, along with AOL, Microsoft, Apple, etc. working with the government. It's been going on and gradually perfected for over a decade.

Search whistleblowers such as William Binney, Tom Drake, J. Kirk Wiebe.

SEAWOLF97
02-08-2015, 11:30 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-02-02/inside-radioshack-s-slow-motion-collapse

"Roberts negotiated deals with carriers that gave RadioShack not only a cut of the initial device sale but also payments from customers’ monthly wireless bills. A longtime executive who left the company in the mid-2000s compared the wireless business to a narcotic, with the company bingeing on phone sales while ignoring the other parts of its business. The addiction had consequences. Signing someone up for a mobile contract took about 45 minutes, and many stores were staffed for long stretches by a single employee. Customers in search of help regularly left in frustration, and foot traffic began dropping, says Claire Babrowski, who in 2005 and 2006 served in various executive roles at the company."

"Attempts to squeeze maximum value out of each person who walks into one of its locations has made shopping or working at RadioShack an irritation. Employees have always been asked to make the hard sale. In the past, they were reliably aggressive about getting a customer’s name and address, so they could flood mailboxes with circulars offering specials on batteries. Hill, the former Phoenix employee, says he was required to offer insurance plans to customers for each item they purchased—and told to keep pushing until a customer said no three times. Another former employee says that managers at the location where he worked in Columbia, Md., would allow employees to claim commissions on phones only if they also sold at least one accessory. Otherwise the manager took the sale. He says he left because he felt awful pushing customers to buy things they didn’t need."

Donald
02-16-2015, 12:05 AM
Let's Buy RadioShack

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1906764712/lets-buy-radioshack

Like the stores, the project is not doing well.

Lee in Montreal
02-16-2015, 12:31 AM
It's not "conspiratorial" or a "theory", it's actually true. As Snowden showed us, everything is tracked, recorded, spied on now and it's not just Google but Google is one of the biggest, along with AOL, Microsoft, Apple, etc. working with the government. It's been going on and gradually perfected for over a decade.

Anyone with Samsung's Smart TV? :)
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/10/smarttv-privacy/#wPBzvq:eHr

LowPhreak
02-16-2015, 01:31 AM
^ Yes, I've recently seen similar articles about smart TV's.

DavidF
02-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Let's Buy RadioShack

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1906764712/lets-buy-radioshack

Like the stores, the project is not doing well.

Huh, still another social (sub)culture building amongst us of which I was totally unaware. Makers Faire.

Not that I'm necessarily against the premise of this project, just the simple minded approach of the idea. Kinda like and Andy Hardy movie..."hey gang, let's put together a musical and everyone will come!"

Ducatista47
02-19-2015, 09:29 PM
I checked out the local fallout tonight. Of four stores the mall location is closed, the one across the river is closing and the two remaining will live on for now with Sprint sections inside them.

The flagship store was worried because they weren't getting any product to restock with, but now they are flush with shipments from closed locations. Retail cannibalism.

I actually went in to buy some of their unique items in case they were leaving the area. Not to worry yet. They carry small tins of a powder that melts onto soldering tips and dramatically increases their lifespan. I asked if they knew where to get a two into four balanced junction box and they kindly suggested a guitar shop in town. Nice guys!