PDA

View Full Version : JBL turkeys

SEAWOLF97
11-27-2014, 12:40 PM
seems appropriate pic

also , JBL/HI has started TV commercials for their wireless headphones. Almost stupid/insipid , more turkeys :blink: (no mention of sound quality , just NO cord ..is that something new ?)

LowPhreak
11-27-2014, 09:24 PM
With the myopic push for higher profit margins every quarter that most corporations are engaged in today only to please shareholders and enrich their execs, usually at the expense of quality, customers, employees, and community/environment - nothing surprises me. Apparently Harman feels the MP3 Average Joe doesn't care much about SQ, as long as he can carry them around wirelessly.

dr_gallup
12-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Given that Apple recently bought Beats for $3 billion, it's no surprise that JBL is pushing out headphones with no emphasis on sound quality. Beats makes pure junk but somehow has that magical "cool factor" that gets people to overpay for in inferior product. I hate that my HP laptop has some Beats garbage in it but otherwise it had what I wanted and who cares how a laptop sounds? The average mp3 or streaming service listening headphone user has no idea what high fidelity is about.

SEAWOLF97
12-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Given that Apple recently bought Beats for $3 billion, it's no surprise that JBL is pushing out headphones with no emphasis on sound quality. Beats makes pure junk but somehow has that magical "cool factor" that gets people to overpay for in inferior product. I hate that my HP laptop has some Beats garbage in it but otherwise it had what I wanted and who cares how a laptop sounds? The average mp3 or streaming service listening headphone user has no idea what high fidelity is about.

Apple ? yup, they're in the news today
Apple 'deleted' rivals' music from iPods, court hears

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30328309

My Vaio laptop has 6 speakers (including "sub") and optical output , sounds OK, but going toslink to external DAC is pretty sweet. It's got a 19 inch , 3 gun LCD . traded my $100 L7's for it. Trader had paid 3k for it 6 months earlier. It's so big that Sony calls it a "desktop replacement"

It feels like HI is coasting on JBL's name to try to play along with Beats (will never own a pair) ... Synchros get good reviews, but the POP TV commercials only have annoying "music" (I heard the ad, said to myself "WTF" ?? and was dismayed when the JBL logo came up). No mention of SQ , just that you can now be a klutz and not have to worry about cords.

James would most likely roll over in his grave.

LowPhreak
12-04-2014, 08:33 PM
It feels like HI is coasting on JBL's name to try to play along with Beats (will never own a pair) ... Synchros get good reviews, but the POP TV commercials only have annoying "music" (I heard the ad, said to myself "WTF" ?? and was dismayed when the JBL logo came up). No mention of SQ , just that you can now be a klutz and not have to worry about cords.

James would most likely roll over in his grave.

Yeah, especially if he saw that they were "selling" turkeys now. :bomb: Most stuff on their website I'm just not interested in anymore, sad to say.

SEAWOLF97
12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
want these :dont-know:

LowPhreak
12-19-2014, 12:36 PM
want these :dont-know:

Yeah!...um, no. :thnkfast:

I have to admit they are kinda cute though.

SEAWOLF97
01-02-2015, 10:12 AM
to spend $$ with HI ?

LowPhreak
01-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Meh!

SEAWOLF97
01-20-2015, 11:04 AM
well , this will certainly sell me speakers ?

LowPhreak
01-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Welp, I guess Harman feels they have to go back 30+ years for some gratuitous reference. Must be running out of marketing ideas over at Corporate™, (gawd how I hate that catch-all phrase for "we do what we're told like good sheep").

dr_gallup
01-20-2015, 01:42 PM
JBL Official Sound of the NBA. Uh, that's like sneakers squeaking on the floor & big men grunting. Not a sound I want inside my head.

SEAWOLF97
02-01-2015, 09:50 AM

LowPhreak
02-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Jeez, where do they get these guys? Apparently they haven't hired a 'Greg Timbers' of marketing yet. :rolleyes:

SEAWOLF97
02-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Jeez, where do they get these guys? Apparently they haven't hired a 'Greg Timbers' of marketing yet. :rolleyes:

Roll Over , James B .... :eek:

LowPhreak
02-06-2015, 12:11 PM
...and we thought some of the 70's audio ads were cheesy. :thnkfast:

gferrell
02-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Makes me want to trade in my XPL's.

SEAWOLF97
02-11-2015, 10:30 AM
.:eek:

LowPhreak
02-11-2015, 01:47 PM
"The Soundtrack of Sell-Out" :wtf:

SEAWOLF97
02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
think I'll run out and buy some wireless JBL (by Harming) MP3 cans today ;) ... or maybe not :dont-know:

hsosdrum
02-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Like it or not (and I certainly do not), listening to MP3s through headphones is the way the vast majority of humans consume music these days,and Harman would be foolish indeed to ignore that market. Remember that like Sony (before they jettisoned their audio division), it's the cash flow from these consumer-level (and OEM car audio) products that allows Harman to keep people like Greg Timbers and Jerry Morro working on SOTA projects.

speakerdave
02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Like it or not (and I certainly do not), listening to MP3s through headphones is the way the vast majority of humans consume music these days,and Harman would be foolish indeed to ignore that market. Remember that like Sony (before they jettisoned their audio division), it's the cash flow from these consumer-level (and OEM car audio) products that allows Harman to keep people like Greg Timbers and Jerry Morro working on SOTA projects.

+1, yes, and stock recone kits from time to time.

LowPhreak
02-24-2015, 12:10 PM

Or they could make money on what they've always been best at - loudspeakers. Timbers and others did just fine before the MP3 era.

hjames
02-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Or they could make money on what they've always been best at -
loudspeakers. Timbers and others did just fine before the MP3 era.

Ask the Music Business how that has been working out for them.

Nothing in the industry is the same as it was before the MP3 era ...

Expecting it to be the same is a great way to watch sales drop below survivability.

But Harman's issues are much deeper than who they market speakers to ...

hsosdrum
02-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Expecting it to be the same is a great way to watch sales drop below survivability.

+1. A company the size of Harman (or even the size of the JBL division) cannot survive only selling consumer loudspeakers - there simply are not enough people who listen to audio through speakers. No one wishes more that things were still the same as they were back in 1978, but nothing is (including me, much to my chagrin).

LowPhreak
02-24-2015, 04:55 PM

Hardware (speakers, etc.) isn't software (digital files, etc.), and as you know, JBL makes pro, cinema, and recording products too, not just consumer. I've always thought that Harman's foray into the many things that Seawolf has posted here was simply another way to "diversify" using cheap Asia or Mexico labor to increase the bottom line of shareholders and execs, not so much "hey, we gotta get with the times and make cans, PC speakers, wireless/portable junk, and car stuff or we're gonna die off."

So what else is new?

You may have noticed that there are many audio companies that don't make that stuff and are doing fine.

hjames
02-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Hardware (speakers, etc.) isn't software (digital files, etc.), and as you know, JBL makes pro, cinema, and recording products too, not just consumer. I've always thought that Harman's foray into the many things that Seawolf has posted here was simply another way to "diversify" using cheap Asia or Mexico labor to increase the bottom line of shareholders and execs, not so much "hey, we gotta get with the times and make cans, PC speakers, wireless/portable junk, and car stuff or we're gonna die off."

So what else is new?

You may have noticed that there are many audio companies that don't make that stuff and are doing fine.

Timbers and others did just fine before the MP3 era.
And how many Greg Timbers are being groomed for the next wave of JBL Performance gear?

I'm not saying they won't make it, what I am saying is that the music business has changed since the 1990s and before -
and so has the Cinema business, the Pro sound business, and the recording business. The excesses are over - its a minimal edge over requirements, tighter budgets, less renewables, and more replaceables in the current production models.

More accounting, more contracting and consulting, more marketing, less about on-staff engineering.

LowPhreak
02-24-2015, 09:21 PM
And how many Greg Timbers are being groomed for the next wave of JBL Performance gear?

I don't know, but I'd hope they do something about it soon if you're inference is correct. :(

SEAWOLF97
02-25-2015, 10:46 AM
If you can't sell on features and specs ...sell on trivia and celebrity and style. :crying:

SEAWOLF97
03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
bet they pay some ad agency big bucks for this stuff ? (while cutting engineering ?)

LowPhreak
03-17-2015, 07:23 PM
I see they forgot the leprechauns this time.

SEAWOLF97
03-19-2015, 08:30 AM
1 crap, 1 OKAY

SEAWOLF97
03-21-2015, 11:42 AM
mo....I think it says JBL on the water bottle or speaker or whatever it is :dont-know:

http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-portables/JBL+CHARGE+II.html

LowPhreak
03-21-2015, 09:19 PM
That oughta fit right in with the fixed-gear/"fixie" crowd in Portland, NYC, etc.

SEAWOLF97
03-22-2015, 07:25 AM
That oughta fit right in with the fixed-gear/"fixie" crowd in Portland, NYC, etc.

fixies ???? yuk :barf:

I've got 27 speeds and know how to use them. (tho the top 9/small chainring are strangers) ...hills don't scare me :eek:

see ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29314-Funny-Bicycle-stats

DavidF
03-22-2015, 09:31 AM
mo....I think it says JBL on the water bottle or speaker or whatever it is :dont-know:

http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-portables/JBL+CHARGE+II.html

Can of day-glow orange spray paint, apparently.

LowPhreak
03-22-2015, 11:38 AM
fixies ???? yuk :barf:

I've got 27 speeds and know how to use them. (tho the top 9/small chainring are strangers) ...hills don't scare me :eek:

see ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29314-Funny-Bicycle-stats

I hear you. I have 20 speeds.

SEAWOLF97
03-22-2015, 12:31 PM

looks nice ..come by for a ride sometime (97233)

mine are Randonee's (French for Adventure/Safari ?) ..have 2 identical ones ..dry & wet ..and rubber on the wheels ;) Touring steel , long WB , comfortable upright, good for hauling.

macaroonie
03-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Need to get you some rubber there. Nice wheels

SEAWOLF97
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
what are the dots on the tracks ?? Is that the sun and planets orbiting ?

Harming needs a new ad agency ... or send those dollars to LHF and let the members
have competitions to design ads for JBL.

LowPhreak
03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Need to get you some rubber there. Nice wheels That pic was when the Boras were brand new, before I glued the Vredestein tubulars on.

64925 64926

audiomagnate
03-24-2015, 03:42 AM

Harming needs a new ad agency ... or send those dollars to LHF and let the members
have competitions to design ads for JBL.

Maybe you were joking, but a very similar scenario recently played out in the tennis world. Wilson developed a new racket for Roger Federer, the first in many years, but he had been using a blacked out, graphics-free beta version in public. There was huge excitement about this on the tennis blogs, and people starting speculating about what the final retail version - which was bound to be a HUGE seller - would look like. Someone posted an image of their idea on the Tennis Warehouse forum, the post was seen by Wilson, and that's the graphics design they went with. Maybe "open source marketing" is the wave of the future.

BTW, I can't figure out what they're going for in that ad either. If it is the solar system they're playing the Saturn track, but that doesn't help.

SEAWOLF97
03-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Maybe you were joking, but a very similar scenario recently played out in the tennis world. Wilson developed .....

only half joking .... throw those ad dollars to LHF ... forum could have "design an ad" contests. Lots of creative minds here, bet we could do better. ;)

looks like HAR is going to have to buy up the www.Harman.sucks domain before someone else does ? http://marketingland.com/controversial-sucks-domain-almost-here-121505

BTW, I can't figure out what they're going for in that ad either. If it is the solar system they're playing the Saturn track, but that doesn't help.

maybe it's just a dirty record ..I've seen worse.

way,way,way OT, but ....Antiques Roadshow mentioned that Wilson started out as a slaughterhouse and to find a use for all the hides ..started developing sporting equipment to use them. :confused: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Sporting_Goods

maybe this thread should be renamed "JBL Dogs" ??

LowPhreak
03-24-2015, 10:08 AM
looks nice ..come by for a ride sometime (97233) mine are Randonee's (French for Adventure/Safari ?) ..have 2 identical ones ..dry & wet ..and rubber on the wheels ;) Touring steel , long WB , comfortable upright, good for hauling. If I was closer to you than Nashville, I'd be glad to join you for a 50-60 miler. Haven't got my legs this spring yet for a full century. I always wanted to build a randoneur/touring rig, it would be great fun. That Raleigh frame looks aluminum but it's Columbus Zona steel and rides very nicely, sometimes feels better than my previous Litespeed ti frame. Named after the legendary Raleigh Professional of yore. With the carbon wheels and sew-up tires it was even better and didn't beat you up on long rides. As decked out in the pix it was about 18 lbs., not bad even with the Brooks Swift and it felt lighter on the road, but I can't build too light since I range from 175-190 lbs.

The geometry of that frame is what did it for me though, just about perfect and was no need to have a custom frame built, except I could have used 5-7 mm. longer on the top tube. Easy to compensate for with a slightly longer stem and perhaps different angle and height so no prob. Raleigh only made those for 2 years (2002-03), factory speced with Campy but I bought the frame separate and put my own Campy parts on.

I can't quite tell from your pic, but it doesn't look like a Brooks on that rig. You mean you have a tourer and no Brooks saddle!? :skeptical: I'm tellin' ya man, get one! Your backside will thank you, and with minimal care they last forever.

OT but hey I could talk cycling all day (I used to sell high-end bikes). It's almost as bad as audio. ;)

SEAWOLF97
03-24-2015, 10:32 AM
I can't quite tell from your pic, but it doesn't look like a Brooks on that rig. You mean you have a tourer and no Brooks saddle!? :skeptical: I'm tellin' ya man, get one! Your backside will thank you, and with minimal care they last forever.

OT but hey I could talk cycling all day (I used to sell high-end bikes). It's almost as bad as audio. ;)

I bought a Brooks B-17 Flyer (sprung) a couple of years back ..it was slip & slide time for quite a while. Then it was great.
But last year it didn't feel comfortable anymore (it was on the dry bike, not wanting to ruin it in Oregon's infrequent rains) ..at that time I switched to a leather San Marco Concur America and it's been good. Still have the Brooks and maybe it will be good again too. I'm working on an 18 pound ALAN all Campy Guerciotti right now. (2 randoneurs, 1 Italian sprinter, 1 hybrid, 1 MB to maintain.) besides all the audio projects, the shoulder rehab, fighting the VA, computer projects, memoirs ...etc,etc.

yeah at $100+ an .oz for weight savings , it can get pricey. Or electronic shifting ....:eek:

LowPhreak
03-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Funny that you mention Guerciotti, it's not one you hear of a lot in the States. I looked at some of their models some years ago. Came close but then...life happened.

Yeah don't get a Brooks wet unless they've been heavily treated with Proofide. Even then, if they stretch too much they're done for. And the VA - don't get me started! I only get meds and routine physicals from them, since I wouldn't send a dog to the Nashville branch for much else. I get cardiology care from Vanderbilt.

Campy though...seems like they've gone off the charts the past several years with their pricing, and some grouppos aren't even made in Vicenza anymore. I thought those Chorus carbon shifters were quite enough at around $329./set when I got them 10 years ago. Arrgh!

I want to see the Guerciotti when it's done! :cool:

macaroonie
03-24-2015, 12:58 PM

and more so

SEAWOLF97
03-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Funny that you mention Guerciotti, it's not one you hear of a lot in the States. I looked at some of their models some years ago. Came close but then...life happened.

Yeah don't get a Brooks wet unless they've been heavily treated with Proofide. Even then, if they stretch too much they're done for. And the VA - don't get me started! I only get meds and routine physicals from them, since I wouldn't send a dog to the Nashville branch for much else. I get cardiology care from Vanderbilt.

Campy though...seems like they've gone off the charts the past several years with their pricing, and some grouppos aren't even made in Vicenza anymore. I thought those Chorus carbon shifters were quite enough at around $329./set when I got them 10 years ago. Arrgh!

I want to see the Guerciotti when it's done! :cool:

I fixed computers in the VA for 5 years and then jumped to Intel ...doubled my salary overnight. The medical side of the Portland VA is very good ...the comp side belongs in H3LL. My individual disabilities add up to 140% , but by their math equals 90%, the jump to 100 is another $1K/mo , tax free. They've stalled my claim for over 2 years , but when it's approved , the back pay check will be nice.

Here's the Guerch , as purchased. Somebody updated it with Campy Chorus 9 speed brifters ...but 7 speed goofy rear wheel. All I've done is rob the saddle and locate a 9 speed cassette. It's just a shade tall for me at 60cm. My 2 tourers are 59's and if buying new, I think about a 57-58cm.
I'm nearly 6'1" , but short 31 inseam ...hovering between 185-195.

LowPhreak
03-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Very nice looking rigs! The old school look can be cool. No JBL turkeys there!

Yeah that's me too Seawolf - kind of monkey arms/longer torso than inseam. Most frames, once they have the chain stay length and rake angle right end up a tad too short for me in reach. You should have seen the collection of different stems I've had. :rolleyes:

SEAWOLF97
03-29-2015, 08:30 AM
. (forum reversed pic order)

LowPhreak
03-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Perhaps the marketing drones are starting to get a clue. Is there hope after all?

Naaah....

SEAWOLF97
03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
ummm ..... :dont-know:

tomee
03-31-2015, 02:28 PM
^
that's a real ad for JBL??

SEAWOLF97
03-31-2015, 03:19 PM
^ that's a real ad for JBL??

oh yes .... join the JBL group on FB , those ads come streaming in.
https://www.facebook.com/JBL/photos_stream

Have you figured out it's meaning ??? (if so, what is it ?) camera speaker ? better than the shoe JBL. :dont-know:

NEVER have seen L-88's played like that :eek:

LowPhreak
04-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Looks like they're down to anything they can 'shoop the logo onto. Nothing to do with speakers or audio, music.

Somewhere, there are unemployed leprechauns and pizza makers. :banghead:

fpitas
04-01-2015, 08:17 AM
My guess is they're simply trying to get people talking about the ads, in the hope of getting brand recognition with the common herd, to the end of selling more of the mediocre (but high profit) stuff.

SEAWOLF97
04-02-2015, 09:45 AM

here is an older shot with the Brooks mounted. Looks like the stand was on there too. I travel pretty heavy.

the red/white/blue bag hanging on the other side is a diaper bag that I carry. It's perfect for hooking over the rack bag , waterproof, zipperable and carries a lot * (but not diapers ;))

* stuffed a Marantz receiver in there once.

LowPhreak
04-02-2015, 10:35 AM
That's a very nice shot. What peak is that in the background? St Helen's? Whitney? Rainier?

Now I know where all the vintage audio has gone: Seawolf has hoarded it on his "getaway ride". ;)

Me at the top of Thatcher State Park with my buddy Chris' 'Cipollini' Specialized near Albany, NY. A fairly hilly route to get there then a decent climb up the escarpment.

SEAWOLF97
04-02-2015, 10:50 AM
That's a very nice shot. What peak is that in the background? St Helen's? Whitney? Rainier?
Now I know where all the vintage audio has gone: Seawolf has hoarded it on his "getaway ride". ;)

Me at the top of Thatcher State Park with my buddy Chris' 'Cipollini' Specialized near Albany, NY. A fairly hilly route to get there then a decent climb up the escarpment.

St. Helens is flattened off. Blew out a cubic mile of debris. I see SH daily. No, that pic
is Mt. Hood

You would be amazed at all the audio gear I've strapped to the bikes. Had two 20lb ea. Target UK steel stands on the rear rack , could barely keep front wheel on the ground. ;) Had a nice turntable balanced back there too ... some wag passed me and yelled "get an MP3 player, it'll skip less"

Glad you clarified that a friend was along , 2 bikes .. 1 rider ?? a real feat.

LowPhreak
04-02-2015, 11:14 AM
Glad you clarified that a friend was along , 2 bikes .. 1 rider ?? a real feat.

That was in case anyone wondered what model the other bike was. I've ridden it, but it's an aluminum sprinter's frame - far too stiff and harsh of a ride for this old dude. Chris is a heavier guy though, and he appreciated a frame that didn't flex much.

Disclaimer: no gratuitous JBL logos (or unemployed leprechauns) were harmed in the preceding posts...

SEAWOLF97
04-13-2015, 09:56 AM
the caption ... honest :blink:

The audio throne has been taken.

LowPhreak
04-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Let me guess: that may be where all the nice Hartsfields and Paragons have gone - the evil dragon Smaug is hoarding them under the Lonely Mountain...

SEAWOLF97
04-18-2015, 06:53 AM
https://www.facebook.com/JBL?fref=nf

SEAWOLF97
05-02-2015, 08:58 AM

LowPhreak
05-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I'd like to give them the boot!

tomee
05-06-2015, 12:00 PM
they are weird, and seen on their own, to me, they make no sense. Seen as a stream of ads on the facebook page, they make a bit more 'sense' if that's the word. The "throwback thursdays" (or tuesday?) showing vintage ads is interesting. in any case, from the ads JBL now seems to be a headphone/wireless bluetooth speaker company...

martin2395
05-07-2015, 12:23 PM
At first I thought that you guys were just playing with Photoshop :banghead:

What on earth has a slice of pizza in common with JBL? :confused:

LowPhreak
05-07-2015, 05:00 PM
What on earth has a slice of pizza in common with JBL? :confused:

Both may have...round things...in them. :lol_fit:

Both are carbon based.

Both are affected by gravity.

SEAWOLF97
05-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Both may have...round things...in them. :lol_fit:

Both are carbon based.

Both are affected by gravity.

gee, my body may have more things in common with JBL speakers than pizza does ??
(at least the good ones ??)

both make sounds

both have a lot of engineering in them

both of them rot after a while

both are confusingly wired

BUT , while JBL's get more valuable as they get older, ...I don't :(

LowPhreak
05-07-2015, 08:56 PM
I fear we may have erred, Seawolf. Harman sees those last 2 posts and it's half a dozen new ideas for the next ad campaign. :help:

SEAWOLF97
05-07-2015, 10:38 PM
I fear we may have erred, Seawolf. Harman sees those last 2 posts and it's half a dozen new ideas for the next ad campaign. :help:

the more I think about it, the more sense it makes, so obviously it's a non-starter, BUT ..

the idea of Harman donating stuff or credits or something to LHF to sponsor contests among the membership for ad ideas.

this is a fairly intelligent/creative group that could certainly come up with campaigns that could
not possibly be worse than what they are doing now

and it could help their bottom line. Those Madison Ave. morons that produce the current garbage don't work for free.

SEAWOLF97
05-08-2015, 08:30 AM
must be a Harman oops ... :)

Odd
05-08-2015, 08:39 AM
must be a Harman oops ... :)

It was at that time rumors of a L400.

Never came into production

LowPhreak
05-08-2015, 09:45 AM
the more I think about it, the more sense it makes, so obviously it's a non-starter, BUT ..

the idea of Harman donating stuff or credits or something to LHF to sponsor contests among the membership for ad ideas.

this is a fairly intelligent/creative group that could certainly come up with campaigns that could
not possibly be worse than what they are doing now

and it could help their bottom line. Those Madison Ave. morons that produce the current garbage don't work for free.

Not a bad idea. I'm not sure the marketing dept. would see the value since they've gone full retard now, even if great stuff was handed to them. Maybe some of the higher mucky mucks would.

SEAWOLF97
05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

SEAWOLF97
06-03-2015, 08:36 AM
roll over James B ....

SEAWOLF97
06-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Wtf ?

LowPhreak
06-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Is it cool to make fathers look foolish now? Yeah I didn't get the memo.

Ed Zeppeli
06-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Is it cool to make fathers look foolish now? Yeah I didn't get the memo.

White middle-class males are the only available targets now to marketers. Every other group is a depraved minority and therefore off limits. Ironically, if the guy in the ad were depicted as black the ad wouldn't make sense because everyone knows that black people have rhythm; which in itself is a generalization.

Such a confusing world we live in isn't it?

Maron Horonzakz
06-08-2015, 12:05 PM
NO !!!

SEAWOLF97
06-08-2015, 12:13 PM
White middle-class males are the only available targets now to marketers. Every other group is a depraved minority and therefore off limits. Ironically, if the guy in the ad were depicted as black the ad wouldn't make sense because everyone knows that black people have rhythm; which in itself is a generalization.

did you mean "protected minority" ??
If the person were black .... Al & Jessie would be all over it.
I thought it was an old Tom Cruise.

hjames
06-08-2015, 01:10 PM

But this is just joking on white-man (of a certain era) dancing -
seems pretty benign as insults go ...

And yeah, I did think Tom Cruise and Risky Business -
Heck, ol' Tom is 53 these days, he's all growed up now!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=65694&stc=1&d=1433778997

Ed Zeppeli
06-08-2015, 01:14 PM
did you mean "protected minority" ??
If the person were black .... Al & Jessie would be all over it.
I thought it was an old Tom Cruise.

I'm just saying it conforms perfectly to the current 'politically correct' way of doing things. As I pointed out, ridiculing any other demographic would be 'Risky Business". :)

speakerdave
06-08-2015, 02:01 PM
"Hey, I'm depraved on account I'm deprived!"--one of Leonard Bernstein's Jets.

LowPhreak
06-08-2015, 02:02 PM
My point wasn't about race or class, but about how fathers in the U.S. are portrayed as bumbling idiots now. I've seen it every June for the past several years - on Father's Day you see ads and commercials everywhere that belittle Dads or fatherhood when they should be recognized with some respect.

That is (or was) the purpose of the holiday, not this stupid shit that the 20/30-somethings at Harman marketing are putting out.

Someone needed to say it.

speakerdave
06-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Durn'd kids anyway.:p

speakerdave
06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
OK, let's take a little poll. Who has NOT done the danse Russe?

"Who is to say I am not the happy genius of my household?"--WCW

hjames
06-08-2015, 03:12 PM
My point wasn't about race or class, but about how fathers in the U.S. are portrayed as bumbling idiots now. I've seen it every June for the past several years - on Father's Day you see ads and commercials everywhere that belittle Dads or fatherhood when they should be recognized with some respect.

That is (or was) the purpose of the holiday, not this stupid shit that the 20/30-somethings at Harman marketing are putting out.

Someone needed to say it.

Understood.

Advertising is just another media of fiction -
it ain't real - they'll say ANYTHING to move product.

My dad (R.I.P.) was celebrated in OUR house -
my brother, my sister, and I owe a LOT for all he did ...
he is missed - and no marketing wienie leaves a smudge on his legacy.
I'm sure your family feels the same for you.

SEAWOLF97
06-08-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm just saying it conforms perfectly to the current 'politically correct' way of doing things. As I pointed out, ridiculing any other demographic would be 'Risky Business". :)

yes, I know what you are saying. That demographic is about the only "non protected" one left anymore , so the target for acceptable ad ridicule has tightened. Do we need our own Al & Jessie ? Or just let it go as worthless sh1t ?

It's almost as dumb as the ads showing children that are SO smart that they are running companies or building rockets or getting revenge on adults ..ordering them around.
Or the obvious Grandparent abuse, portraying them as doddering old fools. :(

I can't believe that Harming pays some company to do these ...

Ed Zeppeli
06-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Do we need our own Al & Jessie ? Or just let it go as worthless sh1t ?

Oh God no! However a little advocacy in some form or another wouldn't hurt. I think most people think what we've said but very few will say what we think....publicly.

Maybe I'll just cut off the cable and tune out! :)

rmoudry
06-09-2015, 10:58 AM
I thought we were the only ones who noticed how stupid Fathers and mostly white males in general, are made to look in advertising. For example the ATT ad where the mother has to control the house from her cellphone, pardone me, smartphone, while on a business trip because her husband is an idiot; can't close doors, find the kids school, whatever. My wife is even sick of it.

Good to see others are noticing this as well.

hsosdrum
06-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Do what I do: Watch as little broadcast & cable TV as possible. When you do watch, hit the "Mute" button during the commercials. You'll be amazed at how much smarter the rest of the world will seem.

SEAWOLF97
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Do what I do: Watch as little broadcast & cable TV as possible. When you do watch, hit the "Mute" button during the commercials. You'll be amazed at how much smarter the rest of the world will seem.

a little OT response .... I keep the volume very low and turn ON closed captioning
(or subtitles on DVD's)

I thought we were the only ones who noticed how stupid Fathers and mostly white males in general, are made to look in advertising. For example the ATT ad where the mother has to control the house from her cellphone, pardone me, smartphone, while on a business trip because her husband is an idiot; can't close doors, find the kids school, whatever. My wife is even sick of it.

they kinda forget who engineered and built the USA

LowPhreak
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Yes and even better, do what I did: get rid of the TV. It's been a couple of years now and I hardly miss it.

SEAWOLF97
06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
of HAR management in their new ads .... :(

Splashproof. Not Dinosaur-proof. The JBL Clip+ http://bit.ly/JBLSummerProof

SEAWOLF97
06-16-2015, 09:48 AM
do the ad people really get paid for this "stuff" ?

LowPhreak
06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Yeah really. I'll bet they took the job so they can be "creative". :banghead:

SEAWOLF97
06-25-2015, 08:55 AM
yeah.

SEAWOLF97
06-27-2015, 07:32 AM
you are out to enjoy nature and some moron with his JBL Clip+ is booming/sharing
his Gangsta Rap crap ?

the Clip+ is splash proof, so when you’re a castaway, you’ve always got tunes to share with your little buddy. ‪#‎SummerProof‬ bit.ly/SplashproofClip

LowPhreak
06-27-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm sure the Professor could have rigged up a recharge system out of palm fronds and coconut string.

SEAWOLF97
07-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Classic

parker_knoll
07-28-2015, 03:51 PM

Goofy dad is an age old advertising cliché. I don't think it has anything to do with colour.

It stems from the belief that wives/mums make purchase decisions about a lot of segments of household spending (men get their hobbies in their dens) so the goofy dad cliché is designed to appeal to a female purchase decision maker.

I can find you an infinity of goofy dad ads from any year in the last fifty, i assure you. If you go to India you will find goofy dad ads there as well.

parker_knoll
07-28-2015, 03:55 PM
they kinda forget who engineered and built the USA

people of all colours engineered and built the USA. some of them didn't get paid.

SEAWOLF97
08-08-2015, 08:06 AM
??

Flaesh
09-03-2015, 01:18 PM
http://ru.jbl.com/jbl-homepage-ru.html66763

SEAWOLF97
09-20-2015, 08:20 AM
JBL

Yo ho, yo ho, a JBL life for me. #TalkLikeAPirateDay

audiomagnate
09-20-2015, 01:56 PM
JBL

JBL by Aarrr-man?

LowPhreak
09-21-2015, 11:46 PM

One more trick like that and ye'll be walkin' the plank, arrgh.

SEAWOLF97
10-07-2015, 09:54 AM
so I can be stylin' too :)

Sound you can see. www.jbl.com/Pulse2

SEAWOLF97
10-23-2015, 10:22 AM
WOW ..be the envy of the interstate jams :)

sure they could re-customize it for the 'vettes & bimmers ?

LowPhreak
10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Hey, can I borrow one while I do this? ---> :banghead:

SEAWOLF97
11-12-2015, 09:50 AM
JBL

Legendary sound meets effortless style. The JBL E40 BT Coach Edition wireless headphones. Music never sounded, or looked, this good. http://www.jbl.com/coach

SEAWOLF97
11-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Avoid a #Cordfail with the new JBL Everest Wireless Headphones. Learn more: http://bit.ly/JBL_Cordfail

SEAWOLF97
11-17-2015, 05:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xata21mVzLs

SEAWOLF97
11-30-2015, 10:22 AM
say it ain't so :(

https://gma.yahoo.com/-gma--deals-and-steals--cyber-monday-blowout-deals-165318635.html#

LowPhreak
12-01-2015, 03:23 PM
:rolleyes:

There's a lot more than just "cordfail" going wrong at JBL these days...

SEAWOLF97
12-01-2015, 05:23 PM

only $20 and free shipping .. ORDER NOW ORDER NOW ORDER NOW

(even playing the whole stack of them couldn't equal my long departed Radiances :( )

BeDome
12-02-2015, 03:21 AM

While cordfail may be the least of their worries ...

I actually work part time in a " big box " type store and have had the opportunity to hear these little turkeys side by side against many of their competitors' products and except for a few "crippled turkeys" anything JBL holds up very well, even in this genre of useless garbage.

... and the stupid looking dinner plate sized, Harmon Kardon wireless system actually rocks and fills up a very large part of a huge store with half decent sound. I have no need or want for one, but they are impressive to an average "bluetooth" seeker.

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2015, 05:44 AM
Geeze ... now they are faking JBL's plastic crap ? :(

Maybe that really IS JBL's new logo ... just a square orange box ? seems appropriate :)

from CL:
I have 2 Blue Bluetooth Speakers Brand New in Box, selling each for $60 OBO

-Brand new unused. I have tested them to make sure they work.
-They are a replica of the JBL Pulse, so no they are not identical.

LowPhreak
12-02-2015, 10:42 AM
-Brand new unused. I have tested them to make sure they work.
-They are a replica of the JBL Pulse, so no they are not identical.

:applaud:

Sounds like he'd fit right in at the "New & Improved!™" JBL. Maybe they should give that dude Greg's old position. :wtf: :lol_fit:

SEAWOLF97
12-02-2015, 11:01 AM
:applaud:

Sounds like he'd fit right in at the "New & Improved!™" JBL. Maybe they should give that dude Greg's old position. :wtf: :lol_fit:

Maybe that s/b a base for their new slogan

Products are poor plastic replicas of the classic JBL's , so no they are not identical,
reuse of former stellar product names is not intentional and does not affect sound.

Hey, that's got a modern feel to it ..think I should submit it to Harman ????

LowPhreak
12-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Hey, that's got a modern feel to it ..think I should submit it to Harman ????

They'd probably just steal the idea then have you escorted out, this time by para-military "security" because you might be a "terrorist". Don't think the Rand lunatics on the board haven't thought of it.

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2015, 11:09 AM

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2015, 09:07 AM
where's that barf emo ?

DonQuixote99
12-18-2015, 02:10 PM
How do you happy talk like a pirate?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=67115&stc=1&d=1442762403

SEAWOLF97
12-19-2015, 04:50 PM
mebbe my big ones shud go wireless too ? It seems all the rage :)

Challenger604
12-23-2015, 05:39 PM
where's that barf emo ?

Heard it for a sceond at Costco on demo!!! Turned if off right away!!! GARBAGE!
How can JBL be so low!!

martin2395
12-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Heard it for a sceond at Costco on demo!!! Turned if off right away!!! GARBAGE!
How can JBL be so low!!

Are you sure it was the xtreme? I find it pretty darn good sounding for a portable bluetooth speaker.

Challenger604
12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Are you sure it was the xtreme? I find it pretty darn good sounding for a portable bluetooth speaker.

Yeah, that was it I think. Awful!
C

SEAWOLF97
02-26-2016, 10:04 AM
having trouble following the logic of the truck ad ?

or putting speaker in the snow ?

LowPhreak
02-27-2016, 02:50 PM
having trouble following the logic of the truck ad ?

or putting speaker in the snow ?

How'd you guess? :hmm:

grumpy
02-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Obviously, they also let the beat... drop.

SEAWOLF97
03-14-2016, 08:48 AM
:crying:

SEAWOLF97
04-06-2016, 11:52 AM
JBL Lancer 77 Speakers - $400

In Good condition.

Very good price for these. First come gets a great deal on one of the best speaker systems ever made.
Both speakers operate very well, great sound. Very heavy. Good Stuff.

Passive radiator cone suspenders need replacing. Local Portland speaker guy does this for cheap. I never had it performed because the speakers sound awesome anyway. Lancer 77 logos missing--doesn't affect the sound though.

Cash only. Local pickup only. No phone texting please.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/5523308483.html

grumpy
04-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Lol. If someone really has a jones for an L77 pair,
I'll match those terms with refoams all done -and-
with emblems. :)

SEAWOLF97
06-16-2017, 10:47 AM
mebbe it sounds better under water :dont-know:

LowPhreak
06-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Well, Bose always does, so...

:lol_fit:

SEAWOLF97
06-18-2017, 05:46 PM
I don't even know the point of the cammo scheme :dont-know:

grumpy
06-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Honey!!!, where'd I leave my bluetooth speaker?! :rotfl:

LowPhreak
06-19-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't even know the point of the cammo scheme :dont-know:

...because once you've heard it, you don't ever want to find it again? :slink:

LowPhreak
07-18-2017, 04:03 PM
"Take crystal clear calls from your speaker with a touch of a button - thanks to the noise and echo-free speakerphone." :p

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aauj_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw2bc53318/pdp/Clip2_Speakerphone.jpg

Audio Dawg says: "How 'bout my people call your people for the next little soiree..."

SEAWOLF97
07-18-2017, 06:24 PM
"Take crystal clear calls from your speaker with a touch of a button - thanks to the noise and echo-free speakerphone." :p

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aauj_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw2bc53318/pdp/Clip2_Speakerphone.jpg

Audio Dawg says: "How 'bout my people call your people for the next little soiree..."

but, but ..isn't it around the neck of the dawg ? that's a rather unstable mono image when your speaker is running around the grass ? hope it doesn't get in the way when it goes poo :) (it might then sound like sheet)

LowPhreak
07-19-2017, 01:03 PM
"Uhh...lady...you know I'm a dog right? I don't make calls..."

"Great, now we're ready for Stupid Pet Tricks on Letterman."

"I thought you said this year I get Arrays?"

:dont-know: :D

SEAWOLF97
07-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Ain't one of them I'd let in the door :eek:

Doctor_Electron
08-12-2017, 03:20 AM
Makes me think of a JBL interactive toilet seat subwoofer, with which you could "play" along with it... while "voicing" your opinion of "The New Harman"

Doctor_Electron
08-12-2017, 03:22 AM
Ain't one of them I'd let in the door :eek:

Are they from a Roger Corman movie ?:eek:

SEAWOLF97
08-28-2017, 12:41 PM
I guess the "wireless fad" is over ??

JBL's latest.

SEAWOLF97
08-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Makes me think of a JBL interactive toilet seat subwoofer, with which you could "play" along with it... while "voicing" your opinion of "The New Harman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfnP3nhghk

SEAWOLF97
09-02-2017, 07:43 AM
OK..I get the point of the pic, but it still doesn't make sense to me :dont-know:

LowPhreak
09-02-2017, 11:09 AM
"I've got it, guys! Let's stick the JBL logo on anything you do in real life, and that's our ad campaign!" :confused:

SEAWOLF97
10-17-2017, 11:44 AM
too much to come up with this revolutionary logo :blink:

DARE TO LISTEN :rotfl:

https://www.facebook.com/JBL/?hc_ref=ART30KQ7FeivyJ-byuum8gy2mTrrsYEAmGj_athkKFbZ-D9rvvHuJtlMkoTyBAJjAkk

LowPhreak
10-18-2017, 08:11 AM
We're all Che Guevara now. :die:

SEAWOLF97
11-09-2017, 12:58 PM
JBL
Page Liked · 52 mins ·

Drown out the traffic with sound that will make you want to walk the rest of the way. #JBLWireless #DareToListen

#hashtag sitting duck

SEAWOLF97
11-21-2017, 12:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/JBL/videos/10155926563711810/

martin_wu99
11-22-2017, 05:37 AM
https://www.facebook.com/JBL/videos/10155926563711810/

Are you sure you are seawolf? i see your ID is a monkey

SEAWOLF97
11-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Are you sure you are seawolf? i see your ID is a monkey

The orangutans (also spelled orang-utan, orangutang, or orang-utang)[1] are three extant species of great apes native to Indonesia and Malaysia. Orangutans are currently only found in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra.

this one lives in the rainforest called Oregon.

Orangutans are among the most intelligent primates; they use a variety of sophisticated tools and construct elaborate sleeping nests each night from branches and foliage. The apes have been extensively studied for their learning abilities.

monkey is incorrect term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orangutan

martin_wu99
11-22-2017, 08:30 AM
The orangutans (also spelled orang-utan, orangutang, or orang-utang)[1] are three extant species of great apes native to Indonesia and Malaysia. Orangutans are currently only found in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra.

Orangutans are among the most intelligent primates; they use a variety of sophisticated tools and construct elaborate sleeping nests each night from branches and foliage. The apes have been extensively studied for their learning abilities.

:D:applaud:;)

SEAWOLF97
11-23-2017, 11:35 AM
We're thankful for pickup games and winning those pickup games. Happy #Thanksgiving from JBL.

cammy, so it works better to fool the other side :eek: (I thot it was a beer can at first)

martin_wu99
11-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Have you seen the film <Rise of the Planet of the Apes>?i have seen the series I/II/III in the cinema:D

SEAWOLF97
12-09-2017, 07:40 AM
The JBL Soundwave Studio at Miami is bringing color, sound, and style to the forefront of the festival.

(the T-square and paint brushes really add to the quality feeling)

Mannermusic
12-09-2017, 10:11 AM
The JBL Soundwave Studio at Miami is bringing color, sound, and style to the forefront of the festival.

(the T-square and paint brushes really add to the quality feeling)

Hey - Jobs for new marketing grads! Although, have to admit, the T-square takes me back to some good days.

hsosdrum
12-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Dude, the operative word there is Miami. which has been awash in pastel colors for decades.

SEAWOLF97
12-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Time to get the break dance crew back together with the JBL Boombox.

SEAWOLF97
12-16-2017, 08:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2puTQPp6L8

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2017, 09:48 AM
maybe a one time buyer after he gets smushed ... :eek:

They’re more than noise-cancelling, they’re an escape. Everest Elite 750NC’s Adaptive noise-cancelling headphones. http://bit.ly/JBLEverest750NC

SEAWOLF97
01-01-2018, 04:21 PM
lugging that thing will sure help you keep balance ?

SEAWOLF97
01-01-2018, 04:26 PM
just you & Rammstein :eek:

SEAWOLF97
07-06-2018, 09:19 AM
So I got one of these yesterday, only because it was cheap . Read the online reviews .. WONDERFUL product :blink:

charged it up ... not much impressed :eek:

Tim Rinkerman
07-11-2018, 06:08 AM
These were the most atrocious monitors...

martin_wu99
07-11-2018, 10:30 PM
These were the most atrocious monitors...
It is 4602B,good things:D

Tim Rinkerman
07-13-2018, 07:05 PM
They are horrible monitors....

audiomagnate
08-04-2018, 10:59 AM
No comment, but I hope GT never sees these.

SEAWOLF97
08-04-2018, 05:17 PM

Ahhh, the elusive Summit Golds ;)

martin_wu99
08-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Beautiful:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
08-06-2018, 07:01 PM

Item location:
HCM, Vietnam = (Ho Chi Minh City) ((Saigon))

they do like to bling out their gear over there.

Price:
US $8,950.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Pair-JBL-L-300-SUMMIT-GOLD-LIMITED-Audiophile/263850958521?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC. MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D53210%26meid%3D9c1418587d514f e59417072d81b5fd78%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3 D1%26sd%3D153117920804%26itm%3D263850958521&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

hjames
08-07-2018, 04:42 AM
Wow - those ARE gawdy and too hideous!
At least most of the bling crapola hides when the grills are on,
except the none-too-subtle JBL Branding in top, in PRO ORANGE.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=81910&stc=1&d=1533405816

audiomagnate
08-12-2018, 08:37 AM
...except the none-too-subtle JBL Branding in top, in PRO ORANGE.

Splotches and all, but hey, whaddayawant for only nine G's?

SEAWOLF97
10-16-2019, 12:40 PM
JBL PartyBox

Be Loud, Be Proud, Be Ready To Party!

Light shows:
There's a light mode for every mood: Meter, Pulse and Party mode.

https://www.jbl.com/party-speakers/JBL+PartyBox+200.html?utm_term=jbl_party_box&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvL_PiMKh5QIVBNVkCh3H5Qu4EAAYASAA EgLnG_D_BwE&mrkgcl=741&utm_campaign=none&utm_medium=paid-search&matchtype=e&mrkgadid=3325692048&device=c&creative=373089534206&network=g&utm_content=none&utm_source=Google

tomt
10-30-2019, 03:01 AM
Free returns ....