PDA

View Full Version : Is the JBL LSR 32 a heavy load for amps?

Kalle
11-25-2014, 05:42 AM
Hi!

I tried to power my LSR32 with my onkyo 5008 today. But at higher SPLs the reciver turns of. Ok it is quite loud then but not near what they are capable of. Normaly I use them with at Lab group 1600 pro amp. But thoughts of less gear tempts me. The Onkyo is speced for 4ohm speakers. Speced at around 260 rms @ 4ohm.

Actually once even my Lab amp went in therminal protection (heat) but only for a second and at real high SPL (higher than healthy I think) (could been because of poor ventiolation to). I guess that states the thougt of the LSR being a hard load? The lab amp is top quality 2ohm stable. Impendance dips?

Anyone other experienced this?

Edit: I have done some reading. I have set the impendance in the reciver to 4 ohms. But as far as I understand that is a saftey and some kind of power regulation. It reduces the power significant and goes in protection early (ier). I will double check this with onkyo support before i set it in 6 ohm (full power)

Regards
Karl

speakerdave
11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Perhaps your guardian angel is trying to save your hearing. Ain't you lucky, though!

speakerdave
11-25-2014, 09:56 AM
The one time I drove mine really hard it was not for very long. They were connected to a McIntosh MC 2200 on the four ohm taps, and it was no sweat. I've been using them to play movies for years connected to a Bryston 5B ST, and there has never been any problem.

dr_gallup
11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Hi!

I tried to power my LSR32 with my onkyo 5008 today. But at higher SPLs the reciver turns of. Ok it is quite loud then but not near what they are capable of. Normaly I use them with at Lab group 1600 pro amp. But thoughts of less gear tempts me. The Onkyo is speced for 4ohm speakers. Speced at around 260 rms @ 4ohm.

Actually once even my Lab amp went in therminal protection (heat) but only for a second and at real high SPL (higher than healthy I think) (could been because of poor ventiolation to). I guess that states the thougt of the LSR being a hard load? The lab amp is top quality 2ohm stable. Impendance dips?

Anyone other experienced this?

Edit: I have done some reading. I have set the impendance in the reciver to 4 ohms. But as far as I understand that is a saftey and some kind of power regulation. It reduces the power significant and goes in protection early (ier). I will double check this with onkyo support before i set it in 6 ohm (full power)

Regards
Karl

Change that setting back to 8 ohms! The "speaker impedance" settings limit the output rail voltages and prematurely shutdown the amp. I have seen many reviews of receivers that all say never change that setting to low impedance.

Kalle
11-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Speaker Dave: Yeah. Mabye it is a good thing. The hearing is easy to damage. Mostly I don`t play extremly loud but I want to know that it is possible and that I have the headroom. As I understand that 4 ohm mode restricts the power to about 25-30%. I don`t think I will miss anything once changed to full power. The LSR 32 can play crazy loud without any protests. It could definitely damage your hearing permanently. I have some tinnitus so I try to take it easy. But I think it`s real fun playing loud. Now I play them with martin audio 18" subs. They dont go as low as the sub 1500 but the dynamics is fantastic even at low levels. (but my whife don`t like them so I think I have to go back to sub 1500:D)

dr_gallup:
I`ll do that tomorrow.

Regards
Karl

dr_gallup
11-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Read this:

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1