PDA

View Full Version : L250 grill frames: measurements, photos, and advice, please.

Doc Mark
11-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Good Evening, All,

As my L250 project system did not come to me with grill frames, I would like to build some that would approximate the original L250 frames from JBL. Do any of you have measurements, photos, or advice on how I should go about reproducing these frames? If I had some to copy, that would make it easy, but since that's not going to happen, I would most certainly appreciate any help you can offer on this front. Thank you, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Jakob
11-23-2014, 03:44 PM
It is not often i can tribute to this forum but now i have a chance. I can measure and take some photos of my 250ti frames. Have you thought about how to attach them? If I remember correctly the L250 didnt come with grilles and therefore haven't got the six plastic inserts in the baffle to attach the grill pegs to? Not a big issue and those frame pegs are nla anyway asaik.
I will be quite busy the week to come but I'll try to find time to take a first set of measurements.
Best regards, Jakob

Doc Mark
11-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Greetings, Jakob,

Many thanks for your kind offer to take photos and measurement! I think there is a difference between the 250Ti frames, and the L250's, though. As Seawolf said, the L250's had a bit of velcro which matched up to the velcro opposite, and part of the frame laid on the top edge of the woofer, and maybe the 8" driver, too. I don't know, for sure. Though I appreciate your very kind offer, please wait until we find out if there is a huge difference between the L250 grills and those of the 250Ti!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
11-23-2014, 09:12 PM
On the L250 grill frame, the cross members line up perfectly with the top of the flange on the 8" and 14" drivers. There's a skinny bit of velcro glued there on the drivers at the factory. On the frame, there's a 1" wide strip of Masonite sticking out under the cross member that catches on the drivers. It sticks out exactly the depth of the driver flanges. There's also a set of rubber bumpers in the corners of the grill that rest against the baffle. Its a pretty poor attachment and the grills tend to wander off. But if all those components are present and correct, it does work.

Doc Mark
11-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Good Morning, RDGrimes!

Thank you, very much! That was part of the info I was seeking. Do you have any photographs of the grills, and some measurements? If not, I can probably cobble something together from looking at photographs of complete L250 systems, once I have secured and mounted all the drivers in my own. Thank you, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
11-24-2014, 12:07 PM
My mistake, the masonite and velcro rest on the LE5 and LE14, not the 108.
Pardon my scrawls on the photo. There are 6 rubber pads, and the velcro strips are also indicated.

Doc Mark
11-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi, rdgrimes,

Perfect! I've saved your photo, and that will help a great deal. Could you please measure your frames, H-W-D, in inches, too? For the width, it would be good to know both top and bottom measurements. I think that, when I have time to do this, your help will be what gets it done in a presentable fashion!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
11-24-2014, 04:24 PM
You'll save yourself a LOT of headaches if you can borrow one to use as a template. Obviously they are mirror images of each other, and only have two square corners. They should be cut from a single sheet of 3/4" MDF or plywood. (whichever is lighter)

Left grill with fabric on:
Top; 11-7/8"
Right side; (vertical surface) 34-1/4"
bottom; 18-5/8"
Left side; (angled surface) 34-7/8"

Outside surface is rounded all the way around. You're looking at some basic but detailed router work. The originals are lightweight MDF.

Doc Mark
11-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Good Evening, rdgrimes,

Thank you, very much, Sir!! I've added your measurement information to the photo you shared, and that will help a great deal!! I really appreciate your efforts, and will post here when the frames are all said and done. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc