PDA

View Full Version : Possible to clean dope from Altec cone?

HyKlas
11-18-2014, 06:46 PM
The black tar dope strikes again... Seems increasingly popular these days! Have to give myself a pat on the back for that one.

Ok, so I recently picked up my first set of Altecs and need some advice. I'm assuming the best way to clean this is to send them off to GPA for the full treatment. Maybe people have had varying degrees of success using other methods?

Sorry for the giant picture!

Maron Horonzakz
11-19-2014, 02:12 PM
If you cant hear it leave it alone..

martin2395
11-20-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm with Maron on this one.
Dissolving the dope with acetone(for example) it will probably make an even bigger spot on the cone.

Though, you can also dye the whole cone black to make the stains less visible.

ratitifb
11-20-2014, 09:19 AM
why don't try to gently heat the goop with a heat gun in order to allow the excess of goop to leave partially the cone by gravity (you can help it for by rubbing it with your finger...) and to return back to the surround :dont-know:

grumpy
11-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Cosmetic.

Solvents or heat guns have the potential to separate the surround from the cone,
so be careful.

martin2395
11-20-2014, 10:07 AM
why don't try to gently heat the goop with a heat gun in order to allow the excess of goop to leave partially the cone by gravity (you can help it for by rubbing it with your finger...) and to return back to the surround :dont-know:

Judging from the pic it looks like the paper cone absorbed the goop.

HyKlas
11-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks all. It has soaked in to the cone so I feel there's no going back. Guess the best way is to send them out to GPA anyhow. I want to hear the best these have to offer as I plan to build a pair of Onken enclosures for them. Unless of course I come across a better design in the meantime...