PDA

View Full Version : Jbl 4430

numbnuts
11-13-2014, 11:14 AM
30 yrs old. need refoamimg x2. Seller wants 1200 without the refoam incuded.

Question- will these need any other upgrades in the future? crossovers etc?

pos
11-13-2014, 12:27 PM
hello

numbnuts
11-13-2014, 01:10 PM
and hello to you

Lee in Montreal
11-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Wouldn't that be great if there was an "Introduction thread" for all new members so that they can present themselve.

Hello NumbNuts. Welcome. How are you? Let us know where and how you found these 4430? What do you like about these speakers? What's your audio history? Have you checked average prices on those speakers?

Let us know. We can probably help you. ;)

Lee

hjames
11-13-2014, 02:35 PM
Hiya numbnuts, Hows tricks?

4430s sound like a fun system

and hello to you

grumpy
11-13-2014, 04:29 PM
If the cabinets are in good shape and everything works except the foam surrounds,
that seems like a reasonable deal to me.

"Everything" includes the L-pads (high and mid controls on the front)
the bi-amp switch (rear terminal plate), diaphragms in the compression drivers (probably
the Ti version ... 2425H or 2426H, but could be 2421A).

Otherwise, you could spend a bit of time and money just bringing them back to the
stock performance level.

numbnuts
11-14-2014, 07:28 AM
Me-52 y/o married father of 3 young kids.

Not an audiophile by any stretch, but I do appreciate great sounding music. Taste ranges from Sinatra to Led zep to live Grateful Dead.

Looking for a great sounding system on a meager budget. I found a pair of Klipschorns new demo for $4500 American. I liked them but not 4500 worth.

So, I found an original owner, awesome condition pair(JBL 4430) for 1200. During the audition one of the surrounds crumbled during pink floyds "time".

The owner has them biamped with vintage solid state gear approx. 400 wpc. They sounded great but Im concerned that 1984 pair of speakers will need more tinkering with.

My overall question to you fine gents is should I be looking at a newer pair with newer technology and if so which ones?

Thanks in advance nummy

pos
11-14-2014, 08:03 AM
$1200 is a great price for a mint condition 4430 pair.
These woofers typically need a refoam every 10 to 20 years, but it is easy to do and not expensive at all.
I you liked what you heard I'd say go for it!

As for newer designs, the 4430s are great speakers even by today standards, and the current JBL M2 is an evolution of that design.

Lee in Montreal
11-15-2014, 07:28 AM
If the owner wanted $1200 before the audition, then offer $1000 now that surrounds are gone. Take $100 and have a JBL professional fit new surrounds, but say goodbye to 100% originality (if it even matters) as surrounds can only be found from aftermarket. The remaining $100 stays in your pockets for your trouble. Those speakers are sought after, so if you don't like them, they will be easy to resell.

numbnuts
11-15-2014, 08:04 AM
actually the seller wanted 1600 before the surrounds blew out. A local shop charges 100 per to do them. I offered 1100 and he countered with 1200. And that's where were at at the moment.

Hes got some other gear I may be ale to workin the deal for a sweetener.......I must admit I have some reservations about purchasing "older" gear......

Lee in Montreal
11-15-2014, 08:53 AM
actually the seller wanted 1600 before the surrounds blew out. A local shop charges 100 per to do them. I offered 1100 and he countered with 1200. And that's where were at at the moment.

Hes got some other gear I may be ale to workin the deal for a sweetener.......I must admit I have some reservations about purchasing "older" gear......

They will cost you $1400 plus some trouble. It is getting expensive and I am sure you can find better and cheaper. Keep looking.

Lee

numbnuts
11-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks Lee......I would rather a newer pair actually I like Khorns.......so many choices such a limited budget

LowPhreak
11-15-2014, 12:27 PM
You don't have to go vintage JBL. Try a pair of Studio 590s, often on sale in the range of those 4430s. http://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/details/237

I put up a review of mine recently here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?36301-Studio-590&highlight=

An independent review with some measurements here. http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/australian-hifi_reviews_2013_2013-08_jbl-studio-590-loudspeakers-review.pdf Unfortunately, no impulse, step, waterfall plots but you can get the general idea.

numbnuts
11-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Ive considered those but cant find any store to demo them

Ed Zeppeli
11-15-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't think $1400 is really out of line. As was mentioned above, they are pretty coveted and don't come up often. I haven't seen them often for cheaper.

Good luck,

Warren

grumpy
11-15-2014, 05:35 PM
I concur with Ed (given my earlier caveats), but

actually I like Khorns

I have a pair of both 4430s and Khorns, and while I like them both for many reasons,
if you really are fond of the Khorn sound, history, looks, or mystique, I would drop the
4430 query. For better or worse, 4430s will never sound similar, or vice versa.

No judgement here, just some personal experience.

Lee in Montreal
11-15-2014, 05:38 PM
I don't think $1400 is really out of line. As was mentioned above, they are pretty coveted and don't come up often. I haven't seen them often for cheaper.

Which means that part of the $1400 only pays for rarity, not for what the speakers really are. ;-) I suggest visiting a JBL dealer and ask for a demo of the 590s.

Mr. Widget
11-15-2014, 08:18 PM
I concur with Ed (given my earlier caveats), but

I have a pair of both 4430s and Khorns, and while I like them both for many reasons,
if you really are fond of the Khorn sound, history, looks, or mystique, I would drop the
4430 query. For better or worse, 4430s will never sound similar, or vice versa.

No judgement here, just some personal experience.Have you heard 4430s before? They are quite different from the extremely dynamic and forward sound of the Klipschorns. The one thing they share is that they are both large speakers... very large by today's standards.

I like both equally... but for very different reasons.

Widget

LowPhreak
11-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Ive considered those but cant find any store to demo them

Well, you have a 30 day trial/return period from JBL, which, while not as convenient as a store demo is however much better, since you can hear them on your gear in your room and take your time, with no risk. Can't do that often with vintage, though I'm a fan of many vintage JBLs as well.

Ed Zeppeli
11-16-2014, 08:08 AM
Which means that part of the $1400 only pays for rarity, not for what the speakers really are. ;-) I suggest visiting a JBL dealer and ask for a demo of the 590s.

But aren't they partly rare because of what they are? Lol, ok I digress.

I guess the next question is....Will they appreciate in time, if that matters?

I bought mine a year ago for a little less than what the OP may pay. I had re-cones done and bought new diaphragms and now have 'new' 4430s for under $2000.

I should be good for another 15 years or so. :)

BMWCCA
11-16-2014, 08:49 AM
A quick Google search shows the Studio 590 available for $1300/pair. If you like the vintage JBLs (and I'd be the last one to try to talk you out of it) knowing you could get a pair of 250Ti's for about the same or slightly more might help give some perspective.

Personally I'd get the 4430s, see how you like them, and immediately start looking for your next pair of vintage JBLs! :dont-know:

LowPhreak
11-16-2014, 02:50 PM
A quick Google search shows the Studio 590 available for $1300/pair.

From where? I'm seeing $999. ea. right now from JBL and Amazon, and backordered, though I have seen them around $1500./pr. sometimes. A decent pair of 250Ti's ($3400./pr. in 1985) I don't see exactly growing on trees for $1300., but the occasional deal may come up.

:dont-know:

BMWCCA
11-16-2014, 08:49 PM
From where? I'm seeing $999. ea. right now from JBL and Amazon, and backordered, though I have seen them around $1500./pr. sometimes. A decent pair of 250Ti's ($3400./pr. in 1985) I don't see exactly growing on trees for $1300., but the occasional deal may come up.
As I said, a ten-second Google search brought up this site: http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=35_30_43&sort=20a&filter_id=90&alpha_filter_id=0

$650-each. I think I saw $80/each shipping but of course zipcode might make a difference.

I hear someone in this group bought a pristine pair of 250tis off Craig's List in original boxes from a tip on this site for . . . let's just say less than $2000. I hear they're still sitting in his van. Or so I've been told! :dont-know:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=62466&stc=1&d=1403049966

LowPhreak
11-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Ah ok, that place didn't come up on my Startpage search.

Edit: NewAudioVideo can price like that because their merch has no mfg. warranty since they're not an authorized dealer, though they say they have a store equivalent warranty. So caveat emptor.

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/authentic-dealer-ezp-15.html

BMWCCA
11-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Ah ok, that place didn't come up on my Startpage search.

Edit: NewAudioVideo can price like that because their merch has no mfg. warranty since they're not an authorized dealer, though they say they have a store equivalent warranty. So caveat emptor.l (http://www.newaudiovideo.com/authentic-dealer-ezp-15.html)

Well, Olly, that's certainly a whole other kettle of fish! :eek:

normancoleman
08-19-2016, 02:26 PM
7321373214I have a pair of 4430's for sale, I have been using them in my studio control room for 15 years. Closed to retire in 2012. The are in decent shape. 7.5/10. Surround on one got damaged when removing from the soffits. (a thumb bump). also some scratches and minor cabinet rash.

$1400 as they are. You pay for and make arrangements for shipping. Your expediter can pick up here at my place with a lift gate.

I want them to go to a good home. I loved the sound of these but now living in a small 1050 sq ft 2 bedroom home in Florida. I don't know If I can put my phone number here. Message me and we can get in touch if you are interested.

-Norm

I have pictures. Not sure how to get them up here.

Ed Zeppeli
08-19-2016, 03:11 PM
I have a pair of 4430's for sale, I have been using them in my studio control room for 15 years. Closed to retire in 2012. The are in decent shape. 7.5/10. Surround on one got damaged when removing from the soffits. (a thumb bump). also some scratches and minor cabinet rash.

$1400 as they are. You pay for and make arrangements for shipping. Your expediter can pick up here at my place with a lift gate.

I want them to go to a good home. I loved the sound of these but now living in a small 1050 sq ft 2 bedroom home in Florida. I don't know If I can put my phone number here. Message me and we can get in touch if you are interested.

-Norm

I have pictures. Not sure how to get them up here.

There is an 'insert image' icon which will allow you to attach photos. I'd personally like to see how they looked soffit-mounted.

Good luck with the sale. Your price seems reasonable.

BMWCCA
08-19-2016, 05:08 PM
I have a pair of 4430's for sale

Norm,

Thanks for offering them here. You might be better off listing them in the Lansing Product Marketplace (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?5-Lansing-Product-Marketplace) section though. :thmbsup:

mech986
08-19-2016, 06:48 PM
There is an 'insert image' icon which will allow you to attach photos. I'd personally like to see how they looked soffit-mounted.

Importantly when transitioning large monitors from soffit to home use is how the speaker was mounted - whether additional holes, mounts, or other methods were used in affixing the monitors into the wall. Obviously, veneer can be damaged, scratched, or need more work, so pictures of the speakers and all their surfaces will be useful and helpful. Also, any repair history or driver work / replacement would be helpful.

I concur that it would be more useful for the new Florida poster to post a new for sale thread in the Marketplace section, primarily so as not to pull up the old thread of a few years ago.

normancoleman
08-19-2016, 06:56 PM

I added two pictures to my original post. of the studio in about 2010.