PDA

View Full Version : dynaco st 70 + 4343

gerard
11-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Some pople says tube amplifier give an other sound I lost using cd's .

Can I drive my 4343 with a dynaco st 70 ?
how does it match ?

thanks for answers

gerard

jblnut
11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
My friend has a very nice analog setup featuring a Conrad Johnson preamp, Linn LP12 tuntable, Dynaco ST70 tube amp and Klipsch (hold the heckling please) Forte speakers. I've heard this stereo for many years powered first by a Hafler SS amp and now by the Dynaco. While the "warmth" and "presence" are much improved by the Dynaco, he lost an equal amount of dynamics and bass punch when the Hafler left. It all depends on what you are after but I think it's widely agreed the best possible thing would be to bi-amp your JBL's and only run the highs with the tube amp. This may require some custom work on your part as I don't know the specifics of the 4343 xover.

Just my $.02....Let us know how it works out. Depending on your room, your musical taste and your desired listening level you may be completely happy with the Dynaco.

jblnut

scott fitlin
11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
I like to bi amp JBL monitors and use a great sounding SS amp for the woofers, and a smaller power tube amp for the mid/high!

As jblnut says, it really depends on your listening tastes, and if you like to listen to drums with alot of impact at high volume, you will definitely not have enough steam from the Dynaco amp to suit! Easy listening at relatively low volume will be fine with the Dynaco.

Ian Mackenzie
11-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Try both the 4 and 8 ohn taps on the amp as the speaker dips to around 4.5 ohms impedance as I recall.

Ian

PSS AUDIO
11-03-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by scott fitlin
I like to bi amp JBL monitors and use a great sounding SS amp for the woofers, and a smaller power tube amp for the mid/high!

You may soon change your mind about the small power tube amp for th mid/high; and why not about bi-amping!

gerard
11-03-2004, 05:34 AM
pss audio

What do you mean by that ( change your mind ) ?
regards

Gerard

PSS AUDIO
11-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by gerard
pss audio

What do you mean by that ( change your mind ) ?
regards

Gerard

Scott tested this summer a "preview" out what will be our studio amplifier (http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27&st=0&#entry39) and he quite felt in love, lets say he was so impressed that he asked me last but not least amplifier we have and it will delivered in the next hours!

Rob is quite impressed too (http://www.pssaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32&st=0&#entry41)...

As I know what he is looking for I'm quite sure that he will this time really be in love and that is why me might change up his mind about valve amplifiers in the mids (I do not say that those are not terrific amplifiers, but I think that some transistor one can challenge them).

scott fitlin
11-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Tonight we will find out about a PSS amp made special for my midrange application!

SS can be good, I have always used a crown D-150A on my mid horns, so I expect good results from the PSS, which is about the same power as my 150.

The PSS amps are good, they are reliable which is extremely important to me, and posess a clean sound!

:)

gerard
11-04-2004, 03:48 AM
I think I nice car cost the same price as a pss amp....

I do not believe my wife would appreciate unless i buy a mercedes ....

gerard

PSS AUDIO
11-04-2004, 03:53 AM
I think I nice car cost the same price as a pss amp....

I do not believe my wife would appreciate unless i buy a mercedes ....

gerard

If you are ready to pay it the price a Mercedes costs, then we will offer you a second amplifier for free!

Honestly, how much do you think a PSS amplifier can cost?

From what I understand, you think it is as expensive as a nice car?

Why?

Your opinion is very interesting as you are not the first one thinking that PSS amplifiers are quite expensive!

gerard
11-04-2004, 06:24 AM
Yuri

Well I believed the pss was a hugh end product like crell etc so you can only have a 150 w for 5000.00 $ ( second hand mercedes ) also I just try to look at price on internet and did not find any ....
Can you give me an idea ?
I could be interested .

Regards

Gerard

PSS AUDIO
11-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Yuri

Well I believed the pss was a hugh end product like crell etc so you can only have a 150 w for 5000.00 $ ( second hand mercedes ) also I just try to look at price on internet and did not find any ....
Can you give me an idea ?
I could be interested .

Regards

Gerard

Gerard,

Pricing depends of the country, duties and carriage.

To give you an idea, a PSS 600, without VAT is sold around 500 to 700 Euro .

It is sold in Great Britain 329 £, in France 690 Euro (19.6% VAT) ..