PDA

View Full Version : Various 044's, and the spec sheets?

Doc Mark
10-30-2014, 01:48 PM
Greetings, All,

I've been wondering about the 044-1 tweeters that are in the L250 systems I just got. In some old JBL paperwork on the L250, which I picked up around 1982, it states that the tweeter is "phenolic-impregnated linen for the optimum combination of weight and stiffness". That got me to wondering if there were various differences in the 044, and 044-1 over the years, as R&D found new ways to make such HF transducers? Also, I cannot find an actual spec sheet for the 044-1's, or for that matter, the 044's, even though I've spent a good deal of time trying to search LH to find that info. Any ideas on where to find such things? Also, does anyone know a full history of the 044/044-1, including any and all variations of same? Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. One of my 044-1's has a slightly dented dome, and after reading about the successes some LH forum members have had in dismantling said tweeters, reshaping the domes, and re-assembling them, I wondered if the successes out weigh the possibilities of damaging the tweeter to the point of ruining it?!? Any thoughts? Thanks, again!

SEAWOLF97
10-30-2014, 02:43 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?5087-Difference-044-vs-044-1-tweeters

4313B
10-30-2014, 02:54 PM
I happen to have a pair of D8R044-1 kits sitting on the shelf.

Doc Mark
10-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi, Guys,

SEAWOLF97, yep, I found that page, but was hoping for a bit more info about those tweeters. Can't seem to find an actual JBL spec sheet, if such a thing was ever offered.

4313B, very interesting, Sir. Are you offering those 044-1 kits for sale, and if so, would you rather take this discussion to a PM, instead of here? If they are for sale, I'm sorely tempted to talk turkey with you. But, even if you were offering them, I'd have to honor two $$ commitments first, before I could purchase them from you. Still, if they are for sale, please let me know. Thanks, Guys, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rdgrimes
10-30-2014, 07:59 PM
You might be able to pull a dented dome out, but odds are high it will result in flaking "paint" on the dome. Still, no harm in trying.
Nobody has ever really demonstrated any meaningful difference between the 044 and 044-1, other than the sexy color of the 044-01 dome and of course the different flange/basket. Many folks wind up using an 044 diaphragm in a 044-1, they sound identical.

Personally, If I was building those 250's up "from scratch", I'd be doing the 250ti conversion. Cost will not be hugely different.

Doc Mark
10-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Good Evening, All,

rdgrimes, thank you, very much, Sir! You have answered my questions, with your comments, and I very much appreciate that. I have decided to wait until this system is ready to run, before attempting any actions on the one dented 044-1. Who knows, maybe I'll end up buying some new kits for the ones I have, or maybe as you suggest, I will end up trying to update these L250's to 250Ti's. Time will tell. First, I'll finish my work on the 4-way that's been on in the planning and gathering stages for far too many years. Then, after my financial commitments have been paid in full, I'll experiment with either updating the L250 system, or enjoying as it is, with any needy drivers rebuild as necessary. Thank you, again, RD, for your thoughts on this heading. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc